What does your Forum User Name mean?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In 1993 I built a two story garage for myself and selfish reasons (man cave). It evolved into my poker palace, hence the custom poker chip I use for a avatar.

I am a Star Trek fan.

I find many use the "usual" names so I use "Qapla" ... it is Klingon for "Success"
Welcome. May I assume you are a U of FL fan? I went to U of F for many years, many years ago.

I live just outside of Gainesville and my FIL was a UFPD - I have lived here for nearly 60 years
I lived in Gainesville from 1970 to 1979 (with 9 months in Tallahassee), and have lived in Florida all my life. I live in Orlando now.

I went through Orlando last week on my way to Kissimmee, for lunch - I rode the SunRail out of DeBarry

We have taken a couple of day trips to Tampa out of Palatka on Amtrak - we go thru Orlando when we do

I started in TV at a DuMont station 1963, and took a lot of the old DuMont gear to Texas A&M and used it to build their TV station KAMU, Few of the students knew much about vacuum tube equipment, they only knew those newfangled transistor thingies.
I became quite a student of Dr. Allen B. DuMont, and later bought the trademark "The DuMont Network" for use in my Subchapter 5 Corporation.
Made a good CB handle when I was driving TV trucks and of course when the Internet age arrove, it was a natural.
Then the Island of Tuvalu was granted the .tv domain, and promptly set it out for leasable domains. Hence dumont.tv.
More people know me as Doc DuMont than know my real name, alas.

I started in TV at a DuMont station 1963, and took a lot of the old DuMont gear to Texas A&M and used it to build their TV station KAMU, Few of the students knew much about vacuum tube equipment, they only knew those newfangled transistor thingies.
I became quite a student of Dr. Allen B. DuMont, and later bought the trademark "The DuMont Network" for use in my Subchapter 5 Corporation.
Made a good CB handle when I was driving TV trucks and of course when the Internet age arrove, it was a natural.
Then the Island of Tuvalu was granted the .tv domain, and promptly set it out for leasable domains. Hence dumont.tv.
More people know me as Doc DuMont than know my real name, alas.

Our first tv was a Dumont back in 1950!

Actually have been using "basketmaker" since about 1972. I was a "bit" of a wild driver in my younger years. After taking my '72 Pinto Squire Wagon a couple laps around a motocross track (including jumps) a couple of CB group (REACT) friends said I was crazy and should be in a home "making baskets". Well, I started using it as my CB handle. In '79 I bought my first PC (1st Apple II sold in Nashville) and went into the internet world on a 300 baud dial-up. I got on to GEnie messenger service and they wanted a screen "handle" so it was only natural to use it. Been my main e-mail/screen name ever since. I do use "amtraker@?????.???" as a secondary e-mail on a couple of sites/ISPs.

Willbridge interlocking was the heart of the SP&S Railway in Portland. It and the UP East Portland interlocking and the SP&S Vancouver telegraph office were places where kind employees in the 1960's let me learn rail operations. Of the three places, Willbridge sounds like a person's name.

I haven't been here for a long time (had to reset my password), so I'm saying hi as if just joining now. My name only means that my favorite and most often traveled trip is BAL to NYP and back!

In '79 I bought my first PC (1st Apple II sold in Nashville) and went into the internet world on a 300 baud dial-up. I got on to GEnie messenger service and they wanted a screen "handle" so it was only natural to use it.
GEnie @ 300 baud substantially predates my online experiences, but I always wondered what the later pseudo-graphical multiplayer games were like on the GEnie service. The screen shots left more questions than answers.

My Initials in 2020 :)
Yeah, but did you phone home in 1982? :D

Last edited:
GEnie @ 300 baud substantially predates my online experiences, but I always wondered what the later pseudo-graphical multiplayer games were like on the GEnie service. The screen shots left more questions than answers.

Yeah, but did you phone home in 1982? :D
I did phone home, and I collected lots of Reese's Pieces during that time frame :p
I was working in a small machine shop that year, and I would initial my shipping orders with E.T.
I became super popular after the movie was released; I got lots of post-it-notes on my desk to "phone home", but I liked the Reese's Pieces best:cool:
If only I received royalties !:)
ET;)

Back