What does your Forum User Name mean?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may be one of the few on the board who have been to Colfax. My wife used to have family there and we love the Palouse.
In all likelihood you're one of the few that's even heard of Colfax, much less been to it. Whenever I meet someone on Amtrak or elsewhere who asks where I'm from, I tell them I live an hour south of Spokane and 15 miles from Washington State University, assuming they have at least heard of Spokane and WSU. I'm a lifelong resident of this area.

My name (PereMarquette810) was created for a few different reasons. Here they are:

1) My first Amtrak ride was on the Pere Marquette.
2) The predecessor of the Pere Marquette RR (Flint & Pere Marquette) was started where I currently live (Flint), and originally ran south through my hometown (one of the southern suburbs of Flint) to the Flint Suburb/Detroit Exurb of Holly, MI. Also, I currently live quite close to where the F&PM’s founder (Henry H. Crapo) used to reside.
3) 810 is the phone area code I’ve had for my entire life.

My name (PereMarquette810) was created for a few different reasons. Here they are:

1) My first Amtrak ride was on the Pere Marquette.
2) The predecessor of the Pere Marquette RR (Flint & Pere Marquette) was started where I currently live (Flint), and originally ran south through my hometown (one of the southern suburbs of Flint) to the Flint Suburb/Detroit Exurb of Holly, MI. Also, I currently live quite close to where the F&PM’s founder (Henry H. Crapo) used to reside.
3) 810 is the phone area code I’ve had for my entire life.

Tis a shame that the 810 in its full could not be placed with PereMarquette (spacing requirements) - - -
See if it can be adjusted to - that is if you like my point of view

PereMarquette

Going to a smaller font might work but maybe hard to read

PereMarquette810

Tis a shame that the 810 in its full could not be placed with PereMarquette (spacing requirements) - - -
See if it can be adjusted to - that is if you like my point of view

PereMarquette

Going to a smaller font might work but maybe hard to read

PereMarquette810

Is the full username not showing up on your computer/tablet/phone? I’ve not noticed this issue on my phone. Case in point, here’s what I see on it. How does your view differ?

Attachments

• 643BE7C4-A4A1-426E-BFBE-D1872FD74CCB.png
    643BE7C4-A4A1-426E-BFBE-D1872FD74CCB.png
    164 KB · Views: 3
4108D61C-93CD-41B9-B693-BC682C7C43E5.jpeg
Is the full username not showing up on your computer/tablet/phone? I’ve not noticed this issue on my phone. Case in point, here’s what I see on it. How does your view differ?
On the website (computer, not phone), the 10 wrapped around in the box on the left so that it's below the rest of your name. Not a big deal.

I just joined Amtrak Unlimited. My name, John from RI, is because I grew up in Rhode Island 2 blocks west of Greenwood Bridge if you know where that is. It was so close to the tracks that when I was in bed at night I could feel the trains as they passed. And back in the late 50's I began to ride them. Then it was mostly between Providence and Washington, DC where I was stationed in the Army. Today I live in New Jersey and ride mostly between Newark and Providence. I look forward to meeting everyone here.

It came to me right away when I joined the forum because I'm a little balmy ("extremely foolish; eccentric") and loved the Zephyr ride, but mainly because it's a line from a madrigal we used to sing in high school, something about balmy zephyrs. Might have been the song "April is in my Mistress's Face," which is a balmy title in itself. Fifty years later, whenever I feel a warm breeze outside, I comment to my husband that it's a balmy zephyr.

Mine harkens to my favorite author, prolific Victorian novelist Anthony Trollope. Trains feature in several of his books. ****SPOILER ALERT**** In Barchester Towers, Mrs. Proudie and oleaginous preacher Mr. Slope attempt to stop train service on the Sabbath. (I'm glad to report that they fail.) In Small House at Allington, good guy Johnny Eames punches out the caddish Adolphus Crosbie on the platform at a London station, probably Paddington. In The Prime Minister, speculator Ferdinand Lopez commits suicide by throwing himself in front of a train.

If you like Dickens or Jane Austen, I can practically guarantee you'll enjoy Trollope.

And how could I omit that the central plot of Trollope's greatest "mature" novel, The Way We Live Now (1875), is a financial bubble in which investors in a fraudulent "South Central Pacific and Mexican Railway" lost every shilling? See https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/trains-in-downton-abbey.80207/post-927796.

Last edited:
It's a combination of a username that I have used when I was single (Cheerdude) and another that my wife uses (Firerose). Mine is due to a nickname that I got in High School -- I believe that my wife's is from a book/series that she liked.

Back