What effect does declaring a "Service Disruption" have?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lo2e

Lead Service Attendant
I've seen on the Amtrak Status Maps many times where a train that's maybe an hour or two late could be designated with a "Service Disruption" tag, and some times where a train is several hours late but doesn't receive the distinction of being a service disruption.

So what effect does declaring a Service Disruption have? Is it something to do with the accounting of its on-time performance? Or some other behind-the-scenes thing? Or does it have no effect at all on anything?

I would assume a service disruption is beyond the control of Amtrak. Their only responsibility would be a refund. I was lucky on one trip where a train was late and I missed my connection. They flew me to the next stop. It just happened at that time that the train I missed could not cross a bridge due to flood conditions. They put me in a hotel overnight until a train from the other direction turned around. I wonder what would have happened if my original train was even later and after the service disruption.

https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Content_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1246045340646

Last edited by a moderator:
When we were on the CS earlier this month there was a landslide between Portland and Seattle. Our train was listed as Service Disruption the whole time even though we were only running a bit late (at first, then it got later, LOL). But the Service Disruption was that the train ended in Portland instead of Seattle.

But it was a bit confusing for other stops since it was operating normally up until Portland.

I'm going to piggyback on this topic. I came home just now and found two emails from Amtrak. Each one pertained to a separate leg of my cross-country trip starting next week. The emails mention cancellations of entire legs due to 'service disruptions.' Here's the exact text of the emails:

"Our records indicate that you are scheduled to depart on Amtrak train number 11 from Seattle (King St. Station), Washington at 9:35AM on XXX May XX and arriving in Los Angeles, California.

"That schedule has been cancelled due to a service disruption. There is no alternate service available. To speak to a customer service representative about travel options such as selecting another date or destination call us at 877-231-9448 at your earliest convenience.

"We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for being a valued Amtrak customer."

----

The second one cancels the leg from Los Angeles to Seattle just before this leg.

What does this mean? I guess I thought a service disruption would be something occurring right around when I'd be ON the train, not nearly two weeks ahead of that time!

I'll call tomorrow, but I have no idea what I'm getting into. I reserved hotel rooms in both cities back in January and got great rates. I suspect that now, once I change this itinerary somehow (!!), I won't be able to get good rates at ALL.

Any helpful advice on how to handle this phone call with Amtrak?

I'm going to piggyback on this topic. I came home just now and found two emails from Amtrak. Each one pertained to a separate leg of my cross-country trip starting next week. The emails mention cancellations of entire legs due to 'service disruptions.' Here's the exact text of the emails:

"Our records indicate that you are scheduled to depart on Amtrak train number 11 from Seattle (King St. Station), Washington at 9:35AM on XXX May XX and arriving in Los Angeles, California.

"That schedule has been cancelled due to a service disruption. There is no alternate service available. To speak to a customer service representative about travel options such as selecting another date or destination call us at 877-231-9448 at your earliest convenience.

"We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for being a valued Amtrak customer."

----

The second one cancels the leg from Los Angeles to Seattle just before this leg.

What does this mean? I guess I thought a service disruption would be something occurring right around when I'd be ON the train, not nearly two weeks ahead of that time!

I'll call tomorrow, but I have no idea what I'm getting into. I reserved hotel rooms in both cities back in January and got great rates. I suspect that now, once I change this itinerary somehow (!!), I won't be able to get good rates at ALL.

The primary problem at this time is a derailment that damaged a bridge in far Northern California. There is an alternate route, it has been used in the past, but it is on BNSF, not on UP.
I would just ask for a California Rail Pass as a replacement for the legs that are cancelled.

----

The primary problem at this time is a derailment that damaged a bridge in far Northern California. There is an alternate route, it has been used in the past, but it is on BNSF, not on UP.
I would just ask for a California Rail Pass as a replacement for the legs that are cancelled.
The Alternate is known as the BNSF Gateway Subdivision. Aside from the trackage rights issue (in which we all know, it is a hard fought battle and the host almost always wins), that route is not very suitable: terrain, curves, lack of signals (?), to name a few, not to mention skipping the overnight shortstops (Dunsmuir, Redding, and Chico). Last time the CS used the reroute was in June of 2013 IIRC, due to a derailment near Dunsmuir (but with lesser damage).

CCC007, what is a California Rail Pass? Without getting into details, I'm taking this journey precisely to be on the train, in sleeper cars, to write a book. I can be somewhat flexible on the West Coast portion of my trip, but I don't want to rearrange my entire trip at this point. I booked it all in January. The thought of uprooting half the trip (including the hotel stays and reservations) is upsetting.

The goal of the trip isn't to get somewhere by a certain date. It's the trip itself.

CCC007, what is a California Rail Pass? Without getting into details, I'm taking this journey precisely to be on the train, in sleeper cars, to write a book. I can be somewhat flexible on the West Coast portion of my trip, but I don't want to rearrange my entire trip at this point. I booked it all in January. The thought of uprooting half the trip (including the hotel stays and reservations) is upsetting.

The goal of the trip isn't to get somewhere by a certain date. It's the trip itself.
The California Rail Pass is similar to the USA Rail Pass, but only valid inside the state of California, on their buses and trains, except for the chief, the zephyr, the sunset, and the starlight north of a certain point. It should allow you to fill the time by riding the rails, not just sitting in Los Angeles.

. . .what is a California Rail Pass?
I'm not the who you asked, but the California Rail Pass lets you travel by any train operating under Amtrak California brand (which includes the San Joaquins, Capitols, and Surfliners), the Coast Starlight within California (i.e. LA-Dunsmuir), and any buses that have connections with Amtrak California trains, over a week for $159 per person, and has a three week validity.

You can see the details here: https://www.amtrak.com/california-rail-pass

Thanks. This is a lot to take in for a total train newbie like me. I'll have to do my homework tomorrow and then call the Amtrak reps and see what they can do.

I currently don't see any way to see both LA and Seattle on this trip... not without adding some ridiculous money and extra legs to the trip, which I don't want to do.

I am starting in Pittsburgh, going to Kansas City (via Chicago), and then I had hoped to head west to both LA and Seattle (in either order). But now there seems to be no reasonable way to do Seattle at all. I can get from KC to LA easily on the SWC, and then back east via the CZ (a train I definitely want to take on this trip!). But no northern portion at all now...

...right? Am I missing an option??

RE: the rail pass idea. Not going with that option. I don't want to be in coach at that point. I'm doing a coach leg or two back east but then am going to be in sleepers so I can have more privacy, more room, etc.

So that idea will have to be out for this particular trip. :(

You can go the long way round. Take the CZ back, and take the EB to Seattle and back, and once you return to Chicago, take the Capitol Limited, but that would add a week. Consider flying LA to Seattle, then take the EB and the Capitol Limited back home. Or if you are flexible enough, postpone it by two or three weeks if you can.

Sadly, the weather and other things upset the best laid plans of mice and men, and writers too. On the bright side, you will have some different material to add into the book, maybe?

Why not take an easy ride down to San Diego for a day or two instead of Seattle? I am not familiar with the landslide location, is there any service as far as Portland on the CS, or is the whole route cancelled?

Again, maybe a trip on the Sunset out and back?

Events like these serve to remind us also of how young the US is in some ways, still pioneering frontier territory compared to Europe!

Ed.

Without getting into details, I'm taking this journey precisely to be on the train, in sleeper cars, to write a book. I can be somewhat flexible on the West Coast portion of my trip, but I don't want to rearrange my entire trip at this point. I booked it all in January. The thought of uprooting half the trip (including the hotel stays and reservations) is upsetting. The goal of the trip isn't to get somewhere by a certain date. It's the trip itself.
Amtrak routinely loses access to tracks for all sorts of reasons. Major wrecks, minor derailments, fires, floods, landslides, erosion, and a lack of proper maintenance are typical contributors. You're also getting a chance to see real Amtrak customer service in action. Vague explanations, indifferent attitudes, empty platitudes, and severe lack of practical recovery options. Maybe some of this can be included in the book?

Events like these serve to remind us also of how young the US is in some ways, still pioneering frontier territory compared to Europe!
Events like these serve to remind us that the US previously had the very best passenger rail infrastructure in the entire world, including Europe.

Sadly, the weather and other things upset the best laid plans of mice and men, and writers too. On the bright side, you will have some different material to add into the book, maybe?

Why not take an easy ride down to San Diego for a day or two instead of Seattle? I am not familiar with the landslide location, is there any service as far as Portland on the CS, or is the whole route cancelled?

Again, maybe a trip on the Sunset out and back?

Ed.
Amtrak is running a stub train Los Angeles to Sacramento, no service north of there.

I've had my morning coffee and I have the Amtrak route map open... I think I'm ready to call customer service and see what they can do for me. Wish me luck! :)

Had a helpful agent, but I'm not overly thrilled with the result. I'm just heading to LA on the SWC and then up to Emeryville and back east on the CZ. Skipping everything north of that into Seattle.

At this late date, shortening the trip and cutting out two legs ended up costing me $110 more than I paid back in January. THAT sucks. I know it's just how things are with train travel, but I'm seriously disappointed. Now I have to rearrange hotel reservations (which will cost more).

Thanks for everyone who's explaining things to the newbie. :)

Devil's Advocate: Oh yeah, I've got plenty of notes for chapter one now. :D :D

I've had my morning coffee and I have the Amtrak route map open... I think I'm ready to call customer service and see what they can do for me. Wish me luck! :)
Good Luck! We somehow managed to get our cross country trip in between mudslides and track issues earlier this month. I hope you can find an alternative that works :)

The SD is a problem for those who check the Amtrak site or use the Amtrak APP to check on the train's status, whether coming from the disruption point or going toward the disruption point. All the computer tells you is that the train had a SD and nothing else. They have to call "Julie" to get to a "live" person to find the status of your train if they are picking you up.

Without getting into details, I'm taking this journey precisely to be on the train, in sleeper cars, to write a book. I can be somewhat flexible on the West Coast portion of my trip, but I don't want to rearrange my entire trip at this point. I booked it all in January. The thought of uprooting half the trip (including the hotel stays and reservations) is upsetting. The goal of the trip isn't to get somewhere by a certain date. It's the trip itself.
Amtrak routinely loses access to tracks for all sorts of reasons. Major wrecks, minor derailments, fires, floods, landslides, erosion, and a lack of proper maintenance are typical contributors. You're also getting a chance to see real Amtrak customer service in action. Vague explanations, indifferent attitudes, empty platitudes, and severe lack of practical recovery options. Maybe some of this can be included in the book?

Events like these serve to remind us that the US previously had the very best passenger rail infrastructure in the entire world, including Europe.
I guess there would have been more "detour" options back in the day, I was thinking more of the natural disasters that seem to stop rail service in America, like Katrina, and other mudslides. Not a scientific analysis, just my impression. :)

Ed.

It seems it is mud slides, flooding, massive snow drifts, or a derailment, usually the host railroad. Seems like late winter, early spring for most of the of the natural disasters, though there are Hurricanes late summer, early fall and the Noreaster or two in the winter. As large as this country is, there are many more opportunities for SD than most anywhere else.

Back