What features are important in a sleeper

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just-Thinking-51

Very bored and cranky pundit
AU Supporting Member
So what features are important to you in a sleeping car?

Or what features have you seen on any sleeper car that you find quite desirable?

A little story why or what you found during your travels that just made your trip just a bit easier.

For me, a sleeper car must have the following:

-A decently comfortable bed/mattress (this means different things to different people, but there are some that can be ruled out)

-Good climate control (not just decent).

-good bathroom/shower service (no brainer)

-good bedding. Whatever may lack in the mattress to some, could be improved by good bedding.

-a room that’s quiet enough to sleep in.

There are other aspects of the train and tracks (ride quality, where the sleeper is in the consist, the attendant, food offerings) that I think can’t be overlooked when evaluating a good sleeper journey. That said, I know the OP is just talking about the car itself.

The sleeper service on the NEC has ironed out some of the kinks and I think provides a nice service, especially with the new bedding, which i have to say, is really comfortable.

When COVID finally dies down, I plan to take the Caledonian Sleeper. I’ve had my eye on that train forever and really want to take it (despite some of the negative reviews of the newer rolling stock).

Last edited:
For me, a sleeper car must have the following:

-A decently comfortable bed/mattress (this means different things to different people, but there are some that can be ruled out)

-Good climate control (not just decent).

-good bedding. Whatever may lack in the mattress to some, could be improved by good bedding.

-a room that’s quiet enough to sleep in.

There are other aspects of the train and tracks (ride quality, where the sleeper is in the consist, the attendant, food offerings) that I think can’t be overlooked when evaluating a good sleeper journey. That said, I know the OP is just talking about the car itself.
  • EVERYTHING in working order including bathrooms, showers, doors, tables, chairs*, P.A. system, and dividers, not just HVAC.
  • Rooms that don't rattle like a baby's toy.
  • Clean windows.
  • Good service. Flexible staff.
  • Clean restrooms.
  • Clean showers
  • Available towels in the shower 24x7
  • Morning coffee
* In case you wondered why I mentioned chairs, on one Southwest Chief, when we got in our bedroom in L.A., I could not get the chair to rotate and open. It took me only a moment to realize that it had been put in backwards so that it rotated while closed from facing the window to facing the door. Neither the SCA nor conductor understood what was wrong even when I explained it while they looked at it. "Luckily", the restrooms in the car did not work and while we sat in L.A. and a maintenance team came, I went outside and asked the supervisor to look at my room. He couldn't figure it out. Then when one of the workers was waiting for parts, I asked him to check it out. He took one look and rolled his eyes. He must have wondered how a shop person could have been so stupid. An hour later, we were told to move to the lounge with our baggage so they could remove and replace the car. So my chair went with it - it's probably still facing the wall.

All of the above plus a Window and more Headroom for the Top Bunk like the Viewliners have.

Plus go bCk to having the Meals in the Diner a LA carte which has historically been the case on Trains until the 90s!

And more affordable Rooms, iincluding an in between Coach and Sleeper option like the Old Slumber Coaches!

If I could afford a sleeper - here are some of the things that I would want:

In the Room:
  • Windows large and clean enough to see the view AND take good pictures
  • HVAC controls that are easy to use and that work
  • Power outlets and USB charging ports in convenient locations and enough of them
  • Slightly larger roomette - they really are a bit too small
  • Chairs that truly recline
  • Comfortable bed
  • Door lockable from inside and outside
In the Car:
  • Clean restrooms and showers that work
  • 24 Hour access beverage area that has coffee, hot water for tea and hot cocoa as well as ice and canned soda
  • Sufficient storage space for everyone's luggage
  • Helpful and pleasant attendants
  • Wide enough access door to get on and off easily and wider hallways
  • Good WiFi

Last edited:
Obviously the most important thing is a decent bed that an adult can comfortably get a good night's sleep in. Beyond that outlets & USB ports should be plentiful, there should be a discount pod sleeper option, ensuite toilets should be enclosed, doors should be lockable from the outside, decent luggage storage, and there should be a drawing room type option where 2 adults can sleep in lower berths. I think it would be best to separate the pod sleepers and sleeping compartments into separate cars. Basically Amtrak should look to what European operators (Nightjet in particular) and adapt it to North American needs.

Last edited:
Obviously the most important thing is a decent bed that an adult can comfortably get a good night's sleep in. Beyond that outlets & USB ports should be plentiful, there should be a discount pod sleeper option, ensuite toilets should be enclosed, doors should be lockable from the outside, decent luggage storage, and there should be a drawing room type option where 2 adults can sleep in lower berths. I think it would be best to separate the pod sleepers and sleeping compartments into separate cars. Basically Amtrak should look to what European operators (Nightjet in particular) and adapt it to North American needs.

After reading some replies, I figured this went without saying, but maybe Amtrak isn’t always consistent about it:
Cleanliness should be a given. Some of the sleepers I have ridden in recently have not been clean...
To me, this is unacceptable and needs to be addressed. From crumbs in the floor to stains leftover, Amtrak customers shouldn’t have any patience for this. They need to up their game.

Of course cleanliness is a given, but that's a staffing & training issue; ordering new sleeping cars won't solve that. It would be like me deciding to move because my apartment is dirty.
I guess I was referring to the overall experience rather than just the car itself, despite the OP.

Amtrak’s fleet has aged to the point where ordering new sleeper cars would help with cleanliness (some of them are just THAT dirty, unless they’re planning to include a deep clean with their refresh that would include putting in new carpeting, paneling, and tables.

sometimes, when apartment hunting, a unit is so dirty that you’d rather not rent it in the first place, even if the landlord cleans it.

One that I personally am OK without, but I know many want is room doors that you can lock from the outside!

My personal list mirrors everyone elses, I Can't really think of anything else. Maybe ensuring food items are not under stocked to ensure everything is in supply for the whole trip.

One that I personally am OK without, but I know many want is room doors that you can lock from the outside!
Most Euro sleepers (and VIA's Renaissance cars) have that feature, however I wouldn't be surprised if the majority North American design is safety-related, opening in an emergency, etc. It seems like something that could have always been there if wanted.

Things I would like to see in the next generation of sleepers:

- doors lockable from outside (using QR code or similar)
- air conditioning that can be controlled and switched off and doesn't blow directly in my face
- en-suite mini-bathroom
- USB outlets
- WiFi that actually works and does so all the time

Things I would like to see in the next generation of sleepers:

- doors lockable from outside (using QR code or similar)
- air conditioning that can be controlled and switched off and doesn't blow directly in my face
- en-suite mini-bathroom
- USB outlets
- WiFi that actually works and does so all the time
Instead of USB outlets, I'd rather just get at least two plugs!

Instead of USB outlets, I'd rather just get at least two plugs!
Duplex receptacles that include USB ports for power are now readily available, and recently, they have become available on GFCI receptacles. ( if the receptacles are on the same circuit, if the GFCI the first in line it can protect the others in the chain when properly wired.)

Many interesting posts and many that I support.

For me, a comfortable bed with linens that are of decent quality and a blanket that is more substantial than the thin blue ones that I have experienced. Actual working controls for HVAC temperatures and the audio system would be appreciated. Velco that is not worn out or difficult to use on the curtains would also be appreciated. Window curtains that easily slide to cover the windows would be helpful.

And, of course, a return to the long ago of "First Class Service". Juice or Coffee delivered with one's wake-up call; a morning newspaper; proper dining in the Dining Car with Chef prepared meals; an amenity kit available on boarding; and--how about an extra hanger--particularly when one's trip starts during the Winter and one has an outer coat, shirt/slacks. and a sweater.

Many interesting posts and many that I support.

For me, a comfortable bed with linens that are of decent quality and a blanket that is more substantial than the thin blue ones that I have experienced. Actual working controls for HVAC temperatures and the audio system would be appreciated. Velco that is not worn out or difficult to use on the curtains would also be appreciated. Window curtains that easily slide to cover the windows would be helpful.

And, of course, a return to the long ago of "First Class Service". Juice or Coffee delivered with one's wake-up call; a morning newspaper; proper dining in the Dining Car with Chef prepared meals; an amenity kit available on boarding; and--how about an extra hanger--particularly when one's trip starts during the Winter and one has an outer coat, shirt/slacks. and a sweater.
Yes yes and yes! Although I can go without the morning newspaper.

I should mention that the reason my list did not include any of the dining car and/or observation car(s) was the OP asked about the sleeping "car" not the sleeping "experience"

If we are going to include the entire experience, meals and all, YES, I would want a full return to chef-cooked meals

Back