what fits under bedroom seat?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Norm DePlume

Will two 21" rollaboards (essentially at upper limit of the carryon size allowed by airlines) fit under the seat in a Superliner bedroom?

Will they interfere with the seat being unfolded at night? Will the seat being unfolded at night interfere with pulling out the rollaboards if access is needed?

Many thanks!

They will likely not fit.
The underseat area is just big enough for a backpack or a duffle bag. The closet is extremely narrow, it's just wide enough for one shoe or two suit jackets.

In a bedroom you could keep your bags upright near the wall if you fold up the "occasional seat" that's opposite the small table. You may be able to squeeze them in between the chair and the bathroom but you may need to move them each time you open the bathroom door.

Also remember that Superliner sleeping cars have a very large luggage rack on the lower level and Viewliners have a suitcase storage area in the room.

I usually just bring just the clothes and cosmetic items I need for the train in a small backpack or duffle and place it in the closet. That allows me to check my rollaboard or leave it locked up in the luggage storage area.

Hope that helps, Norm!

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband and I fit our two 21" suitcases in our Superliner bedroom. I put one underneath the chair and the other underneath the sofa.

Picture:

SWC+002.jpg

The only reason it is slightly pulled out and not all the way back against the wall is because I was using it as a foot rest. But with the suitcase against the wall there was plenty of legroom and one could still sit in the chair.

Another shot from a different trip, you can see the suitcase shoved in all the way underneath the chair:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/0yzv5c5e1qKHLo9hsfIoW02rX8qUNng7Pwl33V0rJ9Y=w263-h196-p-no

Many thanks for the (inconsistent) information! Maybe it depends on how stuffed the rollaboard is.

I know the storage area downstairs is reported to be safe, but it doesn't feel right, being situated so close to the exit. I guess if we can't push our luggage into the underseat space, we'll take them back down.

There is a small luggage rack located above the folding seat that can hold one airline roll aboard. The other one can be stashed in a corner or behind the seat. I've had two roll aboard suitcases in a bedroom. It's not a big issue.

Many thanks for the (inconsistent) information! Maybe it depends on how stuffed the rollaboard is.
I know the storage area downstairs is reported to be safe, but it doesn't feel right, being situated so close to the exit. I guess if we can't push our luggage into the underseat space, we'll take them back down.
Not 100% safe. I witnessed an older couple who lost two suitcases from the storage area and did not know it until they were ready to get off the Zephyr at Winter Park, CO in January. No idea what happened, but they were gone. The train held while they searched for then, but finally the train left them at Winter Park with the luggage missing.

Many have stored luggage there with no issues. I will not.

I do not store my luggage downstairs either. However, I travel alone and I travel light, so there is always room for me and my luggage in either a bedroom or roomette.

There is a small luggage rack located above the folding seat that can hold one airline roll aboard. The other one can be stashed in a corner or behind the seat. I've had two roll aboard suitcases in a bedroom. It's not a big issue.
My suitcase was too stuffed to fit in the superliner upper rack - the ceiling was too low. But it did fit underneath the seat as you can see from the pictures. I don't know how else to prove it. In addition to our two 21 inch rollaboards we also had two laptop bags, a tote bag, and a bag full of hard cider, booze & wine. I put the tote bag in the closet.

My suitcase was too stuffed to fit in the superliner upper rack - the ceiling was too low. But it did fit underneath the seat as you can see from the pictures. I don't know how else to prove it. In addition to our two 21 inch rollaboards we also had two laptop bags, a tote bag, and a bag full of hard cider, booze & wine. I put the tote bag in the closet.
Many thanks for taking the trouble to post the picture...you did prove it, especially now that you say that the bag was quite full. I was just confused because of the first response saying almost nothing will fit. It's the nature of the interwebs, I suppose.

The bedroom (formerly, deluxe bedroom) could fit a suitcase underneath that one chair. But if you are traveling in a roomette (formerly a standard or economy bedroom before the sleeper rooms had name changes a few years ago), there is no space to store stuff under the seat.

That should be made clear, just in case people are referring to different things when they say "bedroom".

Superliner Roomette will take 2 bags (9 " x 23 " x 24"). One under each seat. HOWEVER, Once the beds are made up you will not have access to them. :p

Superliner Roomette will take 2 bags (9 " x 23 " x 24"). One under each seat. HOWEVER, Once the beds are made up you will not have access to them. :p
My same suitcase will NOT fit underneath a roomette seat. I tried. It was too over stuffed.

I've found that after I remove the stuff I need in the roomette (PJ's, Slippers, Clean clothes for the next day, etc), the suitcase collapses enough to fit. :)

I apologize.

Admittedtly It's been a while since I've travelled in a bedroom. But at that time our 2 standard sized rollaboards wouldn't fit under the seats. I ended up placing them up against the wall.

Bottom line... even if your bags don't fit under the seat... you should still have enough room somewhere in a bedroom to keep your bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back