What have you ridden?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

creddick

Service Attendant
I'm just curious, including Amtrak, what passenger train lines have you ridden when they were actual train companies? The lines I can remember for myself are Amtrak, New York Central, Santa Fe, Southern Pacific, Canadian Pacific, Canadian National, Grand Trunk, Algoma Central, Via, and L&N.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pennsylvania, Burlington, Rio Grande, Western Pacific, Southern Pacific, Santa Fe, Reading, Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines.

Amtrak, Via, Canadian National, Canadian Pacific, Southern,Louisville & Nashville, Penn Central ,Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe, Burlington Northern, Southern Pacific, Union Pacific, Seaboard Coast Line, Nashville Chattanooga and St. Louis, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Denver Rio Grande Western, Western Pacific, Illinois Central Gulf, Missouri Pacific, Chicago Milwaukee St. Paul and Pacific, Texas and Pacific, Chicago & Eastern Illinois, Atlantic Coast Line, Chesapeake & Ohio, Norfolk & Western, Richmond Fredericksburg & Potomac, Baltimore & Ohio, Florida East Coast, Atlanta & West Point, Georgia Railroad, Boston & Maine, Central Vermont, Tennessee Alabama and Georgia,Toronto Hamilton & Buffalo.

Amtak, B&O, C&O, L&N, IC, PRR, UP, CMSP&P, C&NW, Monon, CB&Q, Colorado Southern, AT&SF, CSS&SB, Alaska RR

My Dad worked for a railroad when I was growing up from the late 1940s to when Amtrak started in 1971 so I traveled by train a lot: CRI&P, CB&Q, P&E (NYC), IT, C&EI, L&N, NC&SL, C&NW, CMSP&P, NYC, NKP, DL&W, Erie, NYNH&H, B&M, MEC, PRR, B&O, C&O, Sou, RF&P, ACL, SAL,IC, GM&O, WAB,KCS, MKT, MP,T&P,SLSW, SP, DRG&W, WP, GN,NP, TP&W, AT&SF, MONON, N&W.

I like to include city and interurban railways, so Pacific Electric, L.A. Railway, and North Shore (in their last days, when I was a tot).

Also Santa Fe, Southern Pacific, South Shore, Western Pacific, Illinois Central (commuter service).

I'm too young :lol:

Amtrak, NJT, Metro North, LIRR, Metra, Strasburg, and a few tourist trains I forget the names of.

I'm just curious, including Amtrak, what passenger train lines have you ridden when they were actual train companies? The lines I can remember for myself are Amtrak, New York Central, Santa Fe, Southern Pacific, Canadian Pacific, Canadian National, Grand Trunk, Algoma Central, Via, and L&N.
I"m relatively new to US passenger rail traveling. I have traveled on Acela, the Silver Star and Meteor within the last 5 to 8 years. I've traveled on the Broadway Limited before it was discontinued.

About 20 years ago my brother and I took the American European Express from Washington to Chicago (this was a business trip and it was fantastic).

In Europe I've used ICE, and various local trains in Germany and France. I've used the bullet trains in Japan. The last train I used in Germany was the ICE about 3 years ago and that is what got me thinking that we really need to do something here in the USA relative to passenger trains. I joined NARP shortly thereafter.

Certainly a topic that has something of a minimum age requirement for the more domestically inclined! :)

As I'm too young to have experienced the golden age (or even the "tarnish age") of Passenger Railroads in America., Amtrak is it.

Commuter trains to me are a very different breed (As much as I try to imagine, I can't seem to "grandify" my MARC Camden rides into pseudo-B&O trips), but for the sake of listing:

MARC

VRE

Metro North

NJT

MBTA

Metra

SEPTA

CalTrain

An addition: The Gulf, Mobile, and Ohio.
I'm curious. Which line was that? the Gulf Coast Rebel between Mobile and St. Louis, the Little Rebel between Jackson, TN and New Orleans, or one of the 5 trains between Chicago and St. Louis on the former Alton Route.

GM&O, L & N, Southern, Pennsylvania, Rock Island, B&O, Milwaukee Road, NYNH&H, Frisco, Atlanta & West Point, Western Railway of Alabama, IC.

Amtrak, Amtrak, Amtrak, (lots of Amtrak), Via Rail Canada, Go Transit-Toronto, Eurostar, TGV Thalys, Metra-Chicago and MBTA-Boston- I think that's it.

My Dad worked for a railroad when I was growing up from the late 1940s to when Amtrak started in 1971 so I traveled by train a lot: CRI&P, CB&Q, P&E (NYC), IT, C&EI, L&N, NC&SL, C&NW, CMSP&P, NYC, NKP, DL&W, Erie, NYNH&H, B&M, MEC, PRR, B&O, C&O, Sou, RF&P, ACL, SAL,IC, GM&O, WAB,KCS, MKT, MP,T&P,SLSW, SP, DRG&W, WP, GN,NP, TP&W, AT&SF, MONON, N&W.
Have you kept tabs of your mileage, or do you have an estimate?

Was if you who mentioned once riding the Dixie FLyer (not to be confused with the Dixie Flagler, which I talk about a lot mooe) through the prettier parts of Tennessee,west of Chattanooga. You were in the rear sleeper looking out.....a steamlined 4-4-5-1. Was that you?

I remember being so envious when I read that...today I see how pretty that part of Tennessee is, while lived there I took it for granted.

I like to include city and interurban railways, so Pacific Electric, L.A. Railway, and North Shore (in their last days, when I was a tot).
Also Santa Fe, Southern Pacific, South Shore, Western Pacific, Illinois Central (commuter service).
As do I, hence the long list below. :)

AMTRAK and VIA Rail.don't think subways count do they.
The following all run on fixed guideways, and are thus trains...and they all were carrying passengers when I rode them:

Amtrak (Pacific Surfliner, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor)

State Railways of Thailand (Northern Line, Southern Line)

CSRM Excursion Train

My dad was a big steam fan, so I'm sure there must have been many 'pilgrimages' to/on steam excursion trains in my childhood; these are the ones I remember:

Algoma Central

Cass (WV) Scenic Railway

(Chicago) South Shore (and South Bend)

Metra Electric

Metrolink

Caltrain

BART

CTA

Washington Metro

LA Metro

Dallas DART

SF MUNI

Sacramento

VTA (San Jose)

BTS (Bangkok) Sky Train

Mandalay Bay Tram

Disney World Monorail

People Movers at SFO, DFW, ORD, MCO, LAS

I like the song "The L and N don't stop here anymore", and notice L and N mentioned in this posting, what did / does it stand for?
Ed B)
If its the RR then it stands for Louisville and Nashville. My old home town, Louisville.

One of the links on the L&N page is for Herron Rail Video. Jim Herron and I went to high school together and we use to hang out at LUS on the weekends.

I like the song "The L and N don't stop here anymore", and notice L and N mentioned in this posting, what did / does it stand for?
Ed B)
LOUISVILLE & NASHVILLE; it became the "Family System Lines' then quietly was re-named CSXT which you probably recognize.
The L&N was one of my two childhood railroads. Actually it was the Nashville Chattanooga and St. Louis railroad for me (living in Chattanooga), But in 1957,it was taken over by L&N.

The other line for me was the Southern. It is the Southern station which still stands as the Chattanooga Choo Choo hotel. The L&N station is completely torn down, too bad. The L&N (and Southern) were pretty much major players in their regions.

A lot of their trains were inter-line, that is operated in cooperation with other railroads.That there were not many trains exclusively identifed as L&N would be one reason for it not be as well known as it deserves.Many lines did not proportionatley have that much interline operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back