What I miss about Amtrak train rides . . .

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obviously, you must sleep in the upper berth when in a Viewliner or lower level Superliner. I always take the lower, and keep the drapes closed when I'm trying to get some ZZZs.
If I wake up during the night, and I do a few times, I like to be able to look out the window without having to get up or anything. If the room is dark (my lights are off most of the time) no one outside is going to see anything unless they put their face up to the glass.

You are not understanding what I was trying to say in my post.

I am a sleeper that tends to face towards the window of an Amtrak Roomette. If I hope to get to sleep, the curtains must be closed. The lights, etc. that the train passes during the night distract me from going to sleep.

That morning when the train was in Utah and I opened the curtain, as I said, provided a view of a landscape that I don't see when I awake in Dayton, Ohio.

I hope you understand what I was saying.
I understand. Everyone has their own preferences. I like to be able to look out the window when I wake up during the night.

If the room is dark (my lights are off most of the time) no one outside is going to see anything unless they put their face up to the glass.

My feeling is if someone does see in my sleeping accommodation on a train, what are they going to see that they have not seen before?

I'm going to miss the aroma of the coach restrooms after a few hours.

I'm going to miss the gastronomic tastes of the new Eastern menus.

I'm already missing the late arrivals and the opportunity to sit on sidings and watch the numerous freight trains rolling by.

And, lastly, I miss the opportunity to see beautiful scenery through dirty windows.

I'm going to miss the aroma of the coach restrooms after a few hours.

I'm going to miss the gastronomic tastes of the new Eastern menus.

I'm already missing the late arrivals and the opportunity to sit on sidings and watch the numerous freight trains rolling by.

And, lastly, I miss the opportunity to see beautiful scenery through dirty windows.
You are a hard person to please.😊

I like being in a place where I can think about booking a trip. Booking, not so much the waiting for the day to arrive and also, the last couple of have to get things done days. But then it's all good, settling into a roomette with my wife, kicking back with nothing I have to do for a couple of days. Just enjoying dinner conversations, some times passing thru- towns I've only heard of and trying to take it all in.
Everything y'all above have mentioned fills in the blanks. Thank you.

Last edited:
I miss the early ‘80s. Buying my ticket at LA Union Station at the old original ticket windows, now off limits, and being the only person there. Detraining at Kansas. City into the unrestored Union Station. Six people in a station designed for 10,000. Using one of those old telephones from the ‘30s to phone home.
The uncrowded coach cars, where you had two seats to yourself. Everybody hanging out in the cafe car playing cards and shooting the breeze. Nobody had a phone or DVD player to watch movies so you had to actually interact with you fellow passengers, for good or for I’ll.
And I miss the Chicken Kiev, that was really good.

All of the above, but also the majestic grandeur of the Union Stations. Washington, Portland, LA, Chicago, San Diego. Beautiful train stations, in my opinion. Also opening my Bedroom’s curtain and viewing the early morning landscape in Nevada and Oregon!

Back