What is a Streamliner?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Haithcoat

Engineer
Honored Member
Humour me, gang, and play this word game with me.

What word does not belong here? Lion, tiger, ostrich,leopard, panther .

Answer? Ostrich.

Why? Because it is a bird, the others are cats.

OK--Play this game:

What word does not belong? Superliner,Viewliner, Streamliner, Amfleet, Talgo.

Answer? Streamliner.

Why? Because it refers to a generic lightweight wind resistant method of construction. The other words refer to very specific actual model types and designs, for specific markets also.

Streamlining began in the late 30's and it meant lightweight, usually high strength designs which were very smooth, etc. In practice a streamliner meant a train which. 1. Was made up completely or largely of such equipment, 2. Had faster schedule than others on the same route, fewer stops, etc 3. Usually more amenities, like reserved coach seats, stewardess service, ec.

Come Amtrak, all the equipment Amtrak bought was streamlined. The concept of "models" like viewliner, superliner etc did not yet exist except for such as the Metroliner.

BY the time Amtrak took over, more or less everything was a streamliner at least by default(old heavyweight trains eventually acquired streamlined cars as business fell from all trains, and equipment was shuffled around)

Point being, the word "streamliner" began to lose its meaning.

Back when all trains became air conditioned, it was no longer necessary to advertise them as such. When they all had reclining coach seats it was no longer necessary to advertise them as such. When they all became diesel(or electric) it no longer had to be said. Same for streamliner. When everything became streamlined, it became no longer necessary to use the word. So the word has fallen out of regular usage..

But I would suggest that the word streamliner could actually still apply to the trains of today since they are all built of stainless steel or such equipment...The definition still fits---it is just no longer necessary to make a point of.Just as it is no longer needed to say they are diesel powered, air conditioned, etc.

So, what is the point of this post? I can see that a line of demarcation is being draw, or has been drawn, making a disticntion between two things which really are not related, i.e. a method of constructon(streamlined) versus a concept of having different styles and modes(superliner, viewliner, etc). I think that is apples and oranges.

But actually words take on the meaning we give them, so I suppose this is the wave of the future. Just want to be sure the guys on this forum know the know the background on this word usage as a historical reference.

even as the meaning changes with time. For the distinction being made on a current post about designs of sleeping cars, viewliner, vs streamliner, it makes sense...that is as good of a way to express it as anything, I suppose.I am not trying to knock that post, no way. Just want to keep the historical usage straight in everybody's minds, for whatever relevance it may still continue to have.

Finally, here is a point: the word "Jet". Airlines no longer use that term lavishly, almost everything commercial long distance is a jet , today, I believe. Thus, that word, also, has lost its punch. Day was when "streamliner' and "jet" really meant the big time!!

To me, Superliners, turboliners, Talgo, Acela trains are modern versions of the streamliners. Except for the baggage and mail cars the Superliner trains do have a distinctive, uniformed look to them as did the streamliners of ages past. Passenger trains still have higher speed limits than freight trains, so they do go fast. The Talgo and Acela trains are based on European designs are are built for speed, "a generic lightweight wind resistent method of construction." This applies to Amtrak locomotives, especially the P30s, the Acelas, and the locos heading California trains (which sometimes appear on the Coast Starlight).

I must say, though, I am still dismayed by Amtrak speeds. I remember the scene in Back to the Future 3, when Marty and Doc were asking the engineer "how fast does she go?" "Can she get up to 90?" "90? Why would you want to go so fast?" This was to represent 1885. Amtrak trains, except in the Northeast Corridor, still don't goas fast as 90 mph on their regular runs. They are still limited to 79 mph. So much for progress.

That's alot of thinking for me, lol.

The best example of a streamliner to me would be the Canadian. I do understand the point of your semantics, word choice, but to most rail fans, if you say streamliner, a picture of the Canadian or a smilar train would pop into their mnd.

I agree with and appreciate the points made by both Steve Relei and Steve 4031. It is true that todays trains are modern versions of the original streamliners.

To Steve 4031, as you said in your own way, later on in my spiel I am acknowledging the changing meanings of words.....and I certainly agree that the "Canadian" is a lovely streamliner. I hope to ride it in 2004, as a matter of fact!! But no way at all would I call today's Amtrak trains UN-streamlined...guess that is sort of my point. To me, the OPPOSITE of a streamliner is not a superliner or a viewliner or something but an old heavyweight klunker(charming in their own way, nonetheless).

Thanks, guys, I believe you did understand my points.....wasn't sure if I made them effectively or not after I had done it.

My favorite streamliners from the past would include (the ones I would most like to ride if I could go back in time and ride them):

California Zephyr (CB&Q, D&RG, WP)

Empire Builder (GN)

North Coast Limited (NP)

Super Chief (AT&SF)

Honorable mentions:

The Canadian (CP)

Shasta Daylight (SP)

City of Portland (UP)

Steve--Without completely losing all sense of guidelines and naming train after train after train....a few others I might add to your list would be:

Panama Limited(IC)

20th Century Limited(NYC)

Broadway Limited(Pennsylvania)

City of Los Angeles(Milwaukee, UP)

Lark(SP)

Silver Meteor(PRR,RF&P,SAL)

Florida Special(PRR,RF&P,ACL,FEC)

Capital Limited(JC-Balt-WAS-CHI)

I agree that those are also great trains. There are (were) a lot of nice trains for us to enjoy. I am well aware of the mystic surrounding the 20th Century, Broadway, Capitol, and others. I might also add El Capitan (SF), Continental (CN), and City of San Francisco.

In Europe, I have had the opportunity to ride the TGV (in France) and an Italian Cisalpine train (between Geneva and Lausanne and again between Venice and Florence). They were pretty sleek, also. I would love to ride them again and on Germany's ICE trains and EuroStar (between England and France) and the Japanese bullet trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back