What is at the end of this train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
I found this image of the CZ. The cars seem to be: 2 engines, baggage, trans-dorm, 3 coaches, sightseer, diner, and 2 sleepers. What is at the end? Maybe I am just seeing something next to the track.
Screenshot 2021-09-23 141424.jpg

And if I’m seeing correctly, the second and third car are sleepers and the fourth is a diner. Back three are coaches.

I agree that it’s probably a PV.

When was the photo taken? I’m thinking the last car is an ATSF hilevel coach. It’s seems taller than a regular single level car.
I guess early 2000s, the P42s still have a blue stripe above the red one.

Appears to be a slightly different metal color and lower in height than the Superliner mix... could be a private car or some kind of baggage car. It could be a car that Amtrak is hauling for a coastal commuter service operator.

There doesn't seem to be enough information in the photo to make a clear determination...

But wouldn't it be nice if it were the CS Parlor Car to be be used once again!

End Car?.png

When was the photo taken? I’m thinking the last car is an ATSF hilevel coach. It’s seems taller than a regular single level car.
Found on an internet search. Photo has no properties indicating date.
This undated image provided by Amtrak shows the California Zephyr train near Truckee, Calif. The California Zephyr starts in Emeryville, Calif., near San Francisco, en route to Reno, Nev., a 236-mile journey that offers beautiful views as well as history. It crosses the Sierra Nevada mountain range and follows the same course as the historic Transcontinental Railroad, a 19th century engineering feat that bolstered the nation’s western expansion. The Zephyr’s ultimate destination is Chicago, a 51-hour trip from Emeryville. (AP Photo/Amtrak, Phil Gosney)

Back