What is needed for better maintained equipment and on time Amtrak service?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What does Amtrak need for on time service and reliable equjpment?

• Expansion of Beech Grove or additional rail repair yard

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Incentives for freights to prioritize Amtrak

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More Amtrak owned track

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • All of the above.

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters
I voted all of the above. In the "other" category, I would add better management and more training for the on board service personnel. Returning a Chief of On-Board Service would be helpful as well.

I voted all of the above. In the "other" category, I would add better management and more training for the on board service personnel. Returning a Chief of On-Board Service would be helpful as well.
How would those help with on time service and reliable equipment?

Better management would lead to better use of resources, be it manpower or material.
The other two would help with guest experience on Amtrak. That may not help directly with maintenance issues or delays, but people are less likely to have a "never again" attitude if the people they interact with that are representing Amtrak are helpful, informative, and understanding from the get go!

This problem of equipment maintenance goes back to October 1, 2021. The funds on that day were available for the new fisical yeaaaaaar (FY). The FY funds should have had Amtrak immediately start hiring for additional maintenance personnel. As well T&E and OBS. Amtrak's open job site is still showing as of now some very important job openings. Here is an example from Friday Aug12 job openings. Draw your own conclusions.

Matches:
Foreman III - 90266889 - Los Angeles - Los Angeles, California, US, 90021
High Speed Electrician Technician - 90011038 - Washington - Sign On Bonus Available - Washington, District of Columbia, US, 20018
Electrician - Rensselear, NY - Rensselaer, New York
Electrician Journeyman- 90103739 - Seattle (Sign-on bonus available) - Seattle, Washington, US, 98134
Electrician Journeyman - 90102835 - Seattle (Sign-on bonus available) - Seattle, Washington, US, 98134
High Speed Electrician Technician - 90288110 - Boston - Boston, Massachusetts, US, 02118
Electrician Journeyman - 90054313 - Rensselaer - Rensselaer, New York, US, 12144
Machinist Journeyman - 90336723 - Washington - Washington, District of Columbia, US, 20018
Sheetmetal Worker - 90336708 - Washington - Washington, District of Columbia, US, 20018
Coach Cleaner - 90105574 - Long Island City - Long Island City, New York, US, 11101

Remember to forward these jobs to any of your friends who might have interest in any of these positions.

If you want to see full list of job openings click on the link below. Note 185 openings on additional pages.

https://careers.amtrak.com/go/Engineering-&-Mechanical/8336800

Last edited:
Back