What is the "Chef's Marketplace Special" on the CZ lunch m

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not like Amtrak menu's are well thought out. They still include dollar signs. The dollar sign has become taboo on today's menu. Why it was ever there in the first place is a mystery to today's restaurant owner.

I had that happen with my Brownie Slice. Had plastics to eat it... didn't quite work out too well as the fork broke followed by the knife! Tried a metal knife after that and it barely did the job too. In turn the Brownie Slice was also the best dessert I had too... one trip on the CZ when I ordered to eat in my room the brownie came warmed up and wrapped in foil... it melted in your mouth and was so soft and amazing!
I will completely agree. If the brownie does not arrive warm and soft, then asking for it to be warmed up is a must. And to then really push it over the top, have it ala-mode with some vanilla ice cream. Actually, you can order any desert on Amtrak ala-mode without additional cost (both in sleeper or in coach.) :D
I don't think that is correct on the free ala mode for coach. The Ice cream is accounted for separately on paperwork with an associated price, thus if the coach passenger is not paying for it, the LSA is.

I requested a dessert a la mode in the PPC and had to pay for the ice cream. I had read on here previously that it should be included, but did not find that to be the case.

I was on a train a couple weeks back, and they were asking us if we wanted ice cream with our torte and brownies. They were basically giving the ice cream away. But that has only been on one trip, on the CZ last week. Unless this is something new that they have started.

Frequently I have ridden the train for severel consequtive days. It bothers me that the menu, especially the specials, is exactly the same day after day :angry2:

Frequently I have ridden the train for severel consequtive days. It bothers me that the menu, especially the specials, is exactly the same day after day :angry2:
Agreed. One of the things I liked about VIA's Canadian was that they changed the menu from day to day. I wish Amtrak would consider something like that in the future.

Agreed. One of the things I liked about VIA's Canadian was that they changed the menu from day to day. I wish Amtrak would consider something like that in the future.
Earlier this month, I had exactly the same menu on three different trains from LA all the way to DC. I was thrilled to find that on the last leg of this trip, from DC to Georgia, the Crescent had a different menu. Better yet, lamb shanks were the "chef's marketplace special."

There are many resturants tha have "month long" specials or longer. Whoever thinks Amtrak diner is above a 2-star rating is insane.

I totally agree also. I am allergic to garlic and it is very disappointing when all the dinner entrees contain garlic. It is extremely disappointing when I have the same menu several days in a row.

Well the menu just changed on the CL. I'm tempted to see if the CZ changed this week also.

The ~$23 Tilapia / Salmon dinner has been replace with 2 crab cakes. The same ones that are for the breakfast with hollandaise sauce, which has been removed and replaced with a...I forgot, but ill have one tomorrow morning. And the brownie is gone :( replaced with the chocolate peanut butter caramel torte.

It has way too much sugar and the salt in the caramel is misproportioned.

Breakfast special is cornbeef hash...I ordered cancakes.

...I ordered cancakes.
What are these cakes from a can? :p

Amtrak is most certainly not a restaurant and the star rating does not apply,IMHO. These days it is more like heat and eat meals on wheels. While many restaurants just heat up the 'Sysco Special', the ones that do don't get star ratings as a rule. Thank Congress for this, BTW.

What people are saying, loudly and clearly to me at least, is that when one is taking an extended Amtrak trip and eating in the DC, it would be nice to have some more variation. Especially since it just requires putting some different preprepared frozen entrees onboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back