what is your favorite horseshoe, loop or curve?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
my wife came home from seattle on the eb a few days ago and due to the long hours of daylight got to see the trinidad loop climbing east across the columbia out of wenatchee and was quite impressed. i've seen pictures of it but never experienced it in daylight. it's not tehachapi but still a nice loop

I have been through the Spiral Tunnels in British Columbia (On The Rocky Mountaineer). You don't get to see much, but rather experience it. Really dark!

An honorable mention for a hidden gem, for me, goes to the horseshoe curve between the EB stops of Ephrata and Wenatchee. This one is also traveled, for the most part, during the dark, but I've seen it in full daylight on a late EB to Seattle, and it is, as I say, in my eyes anyway, a hidden gem.
This is actually close to the town of Quincy, which is not a station stop. Baird Springs Road goes through a tunnel under the curve. I don't know how accessible the area is for taking pictures of either delayed EBs or freight trains.

One of these days, I intend to find out! I have a DeLorme's topographical atlas of the state of Washington and from looking at it, it looks as though Baird Springs Road is accessible right off Highway 28 at Trinidad. Of course for me there's the small matter of that area being 150 miles, one way from me. To go that distance just to photograph trains is the definition of "foamer" if I've ever heard it! :lol:

Sullivan's Curve near Cajon Summit in California. It's not that impressive from on-board a train (especially since an on-time SWC passes the area in darkness) but to a rail photographer the location and scenery can't be beat. Named after famed rail photographer Herb Sullivan, many promo photos for both the Santa Fe and the UP were shot at this location in the 1940's and 1950's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back