What is your favorite station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
The major stations I have been to are LA Union Station, Chicago Union Station, and New York Penn Station. I think my favorite is Chicago. Too bad Grand Central Terminal is not Amtrak.

Second that Chicago. Been there quite a few times and know every way I and out of there plus how to get around the inside.

Favorite station or favorite big station?

Favorite big station, for me, would probably be Chicago, Washington, or Moynihan Train Hall.

For small stations, there's a lot of very lovely ones such as San Juan Capistrano, Essex, MT is cute and I love how small it is (although definitely not practical). Fullerton isn't bad, and is my home station so it has a special place in my heart as well.

You have big stations and then smaller stations.

I've used the following larger Stations (which I include since they generally serve multiple trains a day and are in a big city):
Boston
New York
Philadelphia
Washington
Chicago
New Orleans
San Antonio
Los Angeles
Seattle
Portland

I've used the following smaller stations:
Whitefish, MT
Pasco, WA
Orlando, FL
Lakeland, FL
Kingston, RI
Providence, RI
Portland, ME
Poughkeepsie, NY
Trenton, NJ

I would say my favorite big-city station is actually Boston. It has a great lounge, nearly everything in the station is on one level, it's easy to navigate and offers high-level boarding on every track (my biggest qualm with Washington DC and Chicago).

My favorite small station is Whitefish, MT since it is very pretty, offers a car rental desk right in the station that's easy to get to and is very charming. I get similar vibes at Lakeland, FL and Kingston, RI, both which offer easy boarding and local charm at their stations.

Last edited:
I would say my favorite big-city station is actually Boston. It has a great lounge, nearly everything in the station is on one level, it's easy to navigate and offers high-level boarding on every track (my biggest qualm with Washington DC and Chicago).
My experience in Boston was pretty nice, the lounge is very comfortable and a great space. Although I the main hall area wasn't extremely impressive.

My list of large stations:
-New York
-Boston (South)
-Washington DC
-Chicago
-New Orleans
-Fort Worth
-Seattle
-Portland
-Los Angeles

Small Stations:
-San Juan Capistrano
-Fullerton
-San Diego Old Town
-San Diego Downtown
-Oceanside
-Santa Barbara
-San Luis Obispo
-Grover Beach
-Poughkeepsie
-Fredericksburg
-Oklahoma City

The one I’m in waiting for a train. ;)
I don't think the present Salt Lake City station will become my favorite even if I am waiting there for a 4 hour late westbound CZ. Speaking from experience. ;)

Elizabethtown, PA. Always the start-end point for my Eastern train adventures!

Attachments

• 6C5633AF-73BF-4DBB-90E4-C410EDF6B80F.jpeg
    6C5633AF-73BF-4DBB-90E4-C410EDF6B80F.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 11
I could say Spokane as it's the closest station to me and represents the beginning of many an Amtrak adventure for me. I'd like it even better if the Empire Builder departed and arrived at something other than 0 dark 30 and the parking didn't cost an arm, two legs, and your firstborn. I do like Chicago, Los Angeles, and Portland amongst the large stations.

Our favorite station is Los Angeles Union Station which, when it originally opened in 1939, was called Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal. It is the subject of at least two very good books which tell about its history: The Last of the Great Stations by Bill Bradley, and Los Angeles Union Station by Marlyn Musicant. One of its special appeals for us is that, over the years, it has been used as a location for many Hollywood feature films and television shows. Since its appearance has changed very little in the last 82 years, it is possible walk around and locate the places where specific scenes from various movies were filmed. It is probably seen to best advantage in the 1950 film Union Station, starring William Holden.

I also like Kissimmee, FL. I have the address memorized: 111 E. Dakin Ave. I’m always happy arriving there—means I’m just minutes from WDW.

Attachments

• 42704DE7-DCB3-414B-A317-6668422B16E5.jpeg
    42704DE7-DCB3-414B-A317-6668422B16E5.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 6
My favorite is Portland, since it's the one that lets me ride. And it's a lovely station that's changed little as the city has changed around it.

Portland is my home town favorite going back to my great-grandparents' travels. I've spent hours there, whether waiting for a train or on work or just observing.

1961... midday

1961 001.jpg

1968... UP Pool train from Seattle arrives for cross-platform connection to the Portland Rose for Denver and Kansas City.

---_0109k Train 458 to Train 18.jpg

May 1968... RFK campaign train heads out to Eugene.

---_0211.jpg

Last edited:
Back