What is your favorite station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we are talking stations in the US, I’m very partial to South Station in my hometown. To me, it’s beautiful, highly functional, and very convenient. That said, Chicago, Washington, and Grand Central Terminal obviously are spectacular.

If we are talking stations worldwide, some of my favorites include Zurich HBF, the Gare du Nord, Toronto Union Station, and Edinburgh Waverly (mostly for its curious track layout).

I really liked LAX US. Last time there The departure was announced and the red cap tried to take us to the train on his cart.. However a light rail line train was stopped and had activated the crossing gates. We waited for 22 minutes for the light rail train to move and cross the crossing circuit. Red cap did not answer our questions why. He had to go back and get rest of passengers. We left late but do not remember how long. Is this still a problem or has the light rail line now have a time out relay ?

EDIT the delayed time was easy as I got a phone call just as we left the lounge. The person I was talking to could not believe me but kind of because he could here the crossing bell. That is annoying I can tell you..

Last edited:
@ Tlcooper93

Arrived yesterday evening through Zurich HBF although only used some of the underground areas. What should we be looking for as we return there for our train out tomorrow morning.

Thanks

I have a soft spot for the Toledo Amtrak station. Some great memories of waiting there, for a late night EB train adventure, with my kids, anticipating what was ahead. It was always somewhat surreal being there at night, and the place has history and character. The waiting room was never so crowded you couldn't find a place to sit, and if you were taking the LSL, it mostly emptied out after the Cap left. Glad we did this when we did... it's more difficult now for any of us to romanticize middle of the night departures, especially with the delays that both eastbound trains are subject to.

@ Tlcooper93

Arrived yesterday evening through Zurich HBF although only used some of the underground areas. What should we be looking for as we return there for our train out tomorrow morning.

Thanks

Zurich HB is insane because of how immense it is plus how efficient it is. You can also get very lost if you're not careful, especially if you're switching between the main tracks and 31-34 or 41-44.

If you don't have a lot of time, head to the main hall (Tracks 3-18). Admire the the big departure board and all of the different types of trains we don't see in the US. Plus the people-watching on the hour and half-hour can be quite a show.

The "L'ange protecteur" should be visible if you look up in the main hall. If you find the main ticket desk behind the main hall, they sell watches along with tickets.

If you have a couple of hours in the station, Brasserie Federal apparently has good food reviews. Zurich HB is also a mall and one of the only places to shop in Switzerland on Sunday, though Bahnhofstrasse is a prime shopping district. There are two supermarkets within Zurich HB, and the apothecary is on the outside facing Bahnhofplatz. If you need some air, head behind the Swiss National Museum to Platzspitz, or walk down to the Lindenhof.

If you have more time (3+ hours): Go see the Lindenhof and stroll down to the Zurichsee, stopping to see St. Peter and the Kirsche Fraumunster. The Opernhaus is a decent walk as well. Return via the east side of the Limmat to see the Grossmunster; some good restaurants are around Limmatquai and in a pedestrian street (Niderdorfstrasse). If you like vegetarian, Hilti is a must - it's the oldest continuously-operating vegetarian restaurant in the world, serving decent Indian food.

Full day? FIFA World HQ is good for a couple of hours, and the Swiss National Museum next to Zurich HB is probably worth a visit.

Last edited:
Getting back on topic: San Diego Santa Fe Depot is my favorite small station, followed by Santa Barbara. LA Union Station is my favorite domestic large station.

International: Wien Hbf for overall quality and experience; Zurich HB if you want to get your mind blown; Rotterdam Centraal for its uniqueness and bicycle infrastructure. I found Dresden Hbf and Basel SBB fairly charming though for smaller stations. I wanted to like Praha hl. n. and Budapest Keleti more than I do.

Last edited:
My favorite small station, so far, is Lamy, New Mexico despite few services. There I feel immersed in the true West. Sitting under the portico in the shade beneath aged cottonwood trees the old West comes alive in my mind. There I am taken back to the age of Butch and Sundance...
Lamy was one of my stops on my travels this summer, and I couldn't agree more! It has such great Southwestern charm.
Here are some photos of various eras of Lamy for those who are curious.

7cJ4XRXhg3KrYB3K7eFtHm7Xj89xRY6Cv-9fkkVjxnKG6lbIM8UhcEAeESAXHMP51FLGm1dWO_-ULlNoBESE_TmYTiecV6yzUm8OVriSUqYu16plVtAvvztbnMJnDCu7LX4L8pE3=s0

vzXwDHbVvmJL6Cz7MxiLRh5qlCjiwLqBImSVf0qx3pLd_C2jmvbn3NW2c35MN0TSVbAjkEmSx9yqDcgQWSWs0-oe5IkSaPt6RaKrnF8eNgW0ilCd2GlDZ1OA9lYhl1cDLp4XQjh6=s0

xrsW-dXqDDSc1jwH0_Ou3ttoAm4KNI0EvMsYaCsv0VYA49l7iVIYdzdp8k5E-w1GHYIWi0h6jVRbju64lmZFCf3_s6mEtmQF6kgNFvF4DH_u2wmoS1O_xzQlMCBHoYKJ_b0w4wpH=s0

pnIwFPT2-cHRZ3I3_sONW5f8cWM3vLSeOul3tGw_PH27HVGGUiBWy4Ai93_sCb6WpHs3ggmq7RIHk60Y4M5mWYiOGSQ2q9mK0s84Jg7FrUI4suqlcsFYTGmnVh02wJ393bskzbau=s0

eKHpob3itep8abuEpGy3QMIywiBbcbE1nu7RZdTdRf1YN1BUb6Js7dI8GbJuucNNePOKb9H7AqTXaQNONB2edAVhWx8QN2W_ftC0aGZFJ3poN8CeVn4ok5Jds8nNP1VlNaJi7cEo=s0

Eu7E3ExL2U7Wc-AHGAyI3D7ToRpfkAmBaVN-T1XUAGb7-rmNS_Ycgo3smrh8bzdmBXhs2tisRAjfP8ZekieEU_3zfPaFGv0dFkLtGtNBj92p84MDWWg-vflg7OwPbgi0sjTf0MhJ=s0

V3j_4FCIKAgixu7qLbkLmWb8ZVIJJhbT3p--wukFvW6qN9UAb9SphnKy3P4V5G5gE22sLu617kPZa8PMDRZdBURkM50J3ievvGhk5FB8nbNNXAskNDCAtQXNNVhO4wUAzW-OXsxa=s0

VxnvvxoBRyYjpk9tmti7em9JTd5gsCTd5i3dRB8JaaHo-_EmWpp3Y1LZS3ukxRLNqzDVgdMpZV1Y53T1tVCgcOPpwV9SaBb6-GM-E7BJTF6lMEerDJB6vqXcL06errmvyoKPT21I=s0

Cw6YDjcYDMW8mfBNWZGHUKjFLw9FPPdK0P14Xx6iaeV4XEh4chthGaB7e_VuSHlBUbvymPQHkGdJoOukoSwXlYGD_FfvYaxH-KMIo7uuoqs-zdpv8G6jEbObV-IPzn208hnB6Ez5=s0

Attachments

• 1630968324311.png
    1630968324311.png
    336.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 1630968323525.png
    1630968323525.png
    363.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 1630968325036.png
    1630968325036.png
    348.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 1630968325419.png
    1630968325419.png
    355.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 1630968327675.png
    1630968327675.png
    341.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 1630968324004.png
    1630968324004.png
    511.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 1630968327017.png
    1630968327017.png
    882.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 1630968326674.png
    1630968326674.png
    505.9 KB · Views: 3
I like Albany NY. The Lake Shore Limited between the NYC and BOS routes joins/separates there. Sometimes there is a few hours to wait. The station is a pleasant place to wait. Go outside and watch the work in the train yard. A couple of times there has been enough time to take a walk around the neighborhood for a few hours.

Denver is a fun station too. Lots of shopping nearby.

...and a stop at Essex on a car trip... that motivated me to 'climb aboard!'

BEAUTIFUL photo of Essex in the early snow, with the larch trees all golden, thank you! We stopped there on our first train trip, staying overnight at the Isaac Walton. and skiing the next day before boarding the westbound train again. Happy memories.

For big stations, I love PDX, LAX, CHI and BOS.

But my favorite stations are the two remote platforms where I usually board the CS or EB: Chemult Oregon (CMO) and Wishram WA (WIH). Both are "platform only" with waiting rooms (no restrooms). Both have been rebuilt with nice ramps and period lighting. At Chemult, if you took the shuttle bus from Bend or Sunriver, the driver will be in contact with the conductor, and lets you stay in a local truck stop until the train is approaching. No such services at Wishram, so you had better sign up for text notifications about delayed trains (in 2018, our loco went dead right out of Vancouver, and Amtrak sent me a notification every hour that it was going to be *another* hour, till it arrived three hours late, sigh).

Here's the westbound PDX section arriving at Wishram, December 2019:
Acres_19v1.jpg

BEAUTIFUL photo of Essex in the early snow, with the larch trees all golden, thank you! We stopped there on our first train trip, staying overnight at the Isaac Walton. and skiing the next day before boarding the westbound train again. Happy memories.

But my favorite stations are the two remote platforms where I usually board the CS or EB: Chemult Oregon (CMO) and Wishram WA (WIH). Both are "platform only" with waiting rooms (no restrooms). Both have been rebuilt with nice ramps and period lighting. At Chemult, if you took the shuttle bus from Bend or Sunriver, the driver will be in contact with the conductor, and lets you stay in a local truck stop until the train is approaching. No such services at Wishram, so you had better sign up for text notifications about delayed trains (in 2018, our loco went dead right out of Vancouver, and Amtrak sent me a notification every hour that it was going to be *another* hour, till it arrived three hours late, sigh).

View attachment 24299
Agreed! I just love the remoteness and scenic beauty of Wishram and Chemult! Ooooh... the rails are calling me again!

Thanks for posting those pics, Devils Advocate. Great stuff! Had only seen one of them before.

View attachment 24299

Wishram and Wenatchee look very similar. Lamentably, when I came through the EB on that leg (my trains got pushed back and I had to go PDX -> SPK -> WEN - that was less than fun) I wasn't able to look at much of it because a nice guy got on at Vancouver and we talked most of the way. He was great company, but I didn't see much!

If we are talking stations in the US, I’m very partial to South Station in my hometown. To me, it’s beautiful, highly functional, and very convenient. That said, Chicago, Washington, and Grand Central Terminal obviously are spectacular.

If we are talking stations worldwide, some of my favorites include Zurich HBF, the Gare du Nord, Toronto Union Station, and Edinburgh Waverly (mostly for its curious track layout).
Agree with you about Zürich and Waverley. Also in Scotland, Glasgow Central is good. I find the Gare du Nord a bit soulless.
Off to Toronto Union later this month.

Back