What ISN’T Acceptable to Amtrak as a COVID-19 Face Mask?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know if Amtrak has issued a directive or “guidance” to its conductors as to what isn’t acceptable as a COVID-19 face mask? (Our local library has become quick strict on what people can and cannot wear as a “mask.” Bandanas, for example are verboten.)

I recently purchased a face mask with the AT&SF Santa Fe Chief logo on its front that I was planning to wear on our trip this summer. It’s made by an outfit called Broken Knuckle Apparel and consists of an inner layer of moisture-wicking nylon spandex and an outer layer of micro-knit polyester. Even though it consists of two layers, it is quite light weight and thin compared to the commercially produced cloth masks that we usually wear. Although it promises to be cooler and more breathable than our cloth masks, I don’t want some overly zealous conductor to write me up for an inappropriate mask. (I will have my regular mask handy, just in case.)

Your comments, please.

This is from the Amtrak website:

Neck gaiters, open-chin triangle bandanas, face shields, and masks containing valves, mesh material or holes of any kind do not qualify as acceptable face coverings. Face masks can be removed briefly while actively eating, drinking or taking medication. Children under 2 years old are not required to wear a face covering. Refusing to wear a mask is a violation of federal law; passengers may be subject to penalties under federal law, denied boarding, removed from the train and banned from future travel in the event of noncompliance.

I wear these and they're thin an cool. But they also use disposable filters. I've ridden on the NEC quite a few times the past 10 months and no one has said anything about them.

This is from the Amtrak website:

Neck gaiters, open-chin triangle bandanas, face shields, and masks containing valves, mesh material or holes of any kind do not qualify as acceptable face coverings. Face masks can be removed briefly while actively eating, drinking or taking medication. Children under 2 years old are not required to wear a face covering. Refusing to wear a mask is a violation of federal law; passengers may be subject to penalties under federal law, denied boarding, removed from the train and banned from future travel in the event of noncompliance.
That is also chanted as the first thing you hear on 1-800-USA-RAIL before you get to any options.

My Santa Fe Chief mask certainly meets all the criteria that Amtrak requires:

Santa Fe The Chief Logo Face Mask

My only concern is that is so thin and light weight that it might not be taken seriously. We’ll just have to wait and see.

Has anyone else worn a Broken Knuckle mask on an Amtrak train?
Print out the description and have it handy to show the conductor(s).

I had both of my Pfizer vaccines in March. When I got on the northbound CS shortly after midnight on May 8 in SAC, I got out my CPAP and plugged it in. The mask only covered my nose. I did have a mouth guard in my mouth. I feel that I was playing a very silly game. If anyone had asked, I did have a photocopy of my CDC record with my name and DOB. The guy across the aisle from me was asked to pull up the mask to cover his nose and mouth in the morning. He pulled it up to cover his nose and eyes. I did see a couple of gaiters which no one seemed to ask to see whether where was a disposable mask underneath.

Back