What Makes Trains Late....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakerBx

Train Attendant
Return to index

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What makes a train late?

By Leo King

Editor

How do Amtrak’s trains get to be so late sometimes?

Consider last week’s Nos. 91 and 97 on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Amtrak’s spokesman in Washington, Cliff Black, tells us the delays are not all CSX’s fault.

The trains operate over Amtrak’s Northeast Corridor between New York City, where they originate, until they pass south of the District of Columbia.

He specifically looked into No. 97’s delays. At the outset, No. 97 had problems.

It incurred “a 70-minute delay at departure from New York Penn Station when bad-order toilets on a sleeping car required the car to be shopped and another car substituted.”

Later, according to the train log, “22 CSX speed restrictions because of track conditions created a total of 75 minutes of delay on the run.”

Summertime is, as railroaders are quite aware, when major track upgrades and repairs are made.

“Five incidents of freight interference produced delays of 42 minutes,” he added, and noted, “There were other communications and signals (C&S) related delays that didn’t amount to much.”

Sometimes, though, Amtrak’s trains get in each other’s way, especially if it’s a single-track route with passing sidings, as much of CSX is.

“There were five incidents of passenger train interference en route (other Amtrak trains) causing 20 minutes delay to 97. Are these CSX problems? Perhaps, depending on dispatching and physical plant limitation. Hard to tell.”

A minute here, a minute there, and it all begins to add up.

Black said en-route delays “not attributable to CSX included eight minutes at Richmond ‘checking wheels;’ three minutes ‘heavy travel’ at Wilmington, Del.; eight minutes loading baggage at Charleston; and five minutes at Savannah to use a wheelchair lift. Double stops at several stations produced a total of about eight minutes delay.”

In all, that added up to about a half-hour. “Heavy travel” is a term railroaders use to describe many people getting on or off the train – and their luggage.

“All told, about two hours of the total delay was directly attributable to CSX,” he noted, “but approximately one hour and 42 minutes was attributable to Amtrak itself.”

No. 97 accumulated about four hours delay over all. It was clocked into Miami at 11:22 p.m., 1 hour and 36 minutes late. That means there is about two and one-half hours pad in the schedule, at least according to my unscientific review, he said.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AmtrakerBx said:
“Heavy travel” is a term railroaders use to describe many people getting on or off the train – and their luggage.
Wouldn't it be great if someday the only delays we ever experienced were because of "heavy travel"?

:)

seajay

I could not agree more. Lateness is one of our very biggest problems...people traveling (even on pure pleasure) have got to be able to depend on something close to schedule. I don't know if we will ever see it get significantly better. Wish there was double track all over the U.S. Wish that had been done years ago.

Sadly, of course a lot of double track has been torn up where it used to be.

It seems that every time I am on the Sunset Limited it stops in El Paso to "check wheels." Twice in 2002, the "checking wheels" exercise caused a coach car to be taken out of service for a wheel change.

What does "checking wheels" mean? What is there to check? Is this done often? What goes wrong with wheels: are they just round steel things?

The delays to 97 are not that uncommon, I've experienced several delays out of New York in my years of travel.

Even where there is double track (such as between Seattle and Portland--the entire distance) delays can occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back