What on earth can I do with these

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottR

Service Attendant
I travel a lot on Amtrak, but always as a single on a sleeper on a long distance train of at least of one night‘s duration and always for personal and not business reasons. So I’ve get points which are useful and lot of coupons which are not…like these. As I understand it

1. if I’m in a sleeper, there is no further upgrade? As a single, I book roomettes and I don’t think I can use these for a bedroom upgrade?
2. I’m in CA…I’m never going to go on the auto train
3. 10% off I think doesn’t apply to sleepers?
4. I’m single in a roomette, so no companion

So I have…as I understand it…no real use for these.

Are they transferable? Can I trade them in for points…which I could actually use?

I’m not looking for any $ even if they are but I hate to see them go to waste, but that said neither do I want to spend much time gifting and assigning them to someone else.

any suggestions?

1. Correct
2. Same here
3. It does, but it’s on the rail fare which is the same as coach, not the roomette price which makes up the bulk of the price tag.

First of all, that is lot of coupons. What you can do with this is upgrade is only if you do like Coach to Business Class or Acela Business to Acela First.

Amtrak Upgrade coupon policy states:
  • Coupon valid for one (1) space-available, one-way, One-Class Upgrade.
  • Valid only from Coach class to Business class, or from Acela® Business class to Acela First class, on a single travel segment or leg.
  • Not valid for upgrade to sleeping car accommodations.
  • Not eligible for use with 10-trip, monthly or other multiride tickets.
  • Subject to availability; upgrade not available on all trains at all times.
  • Upgrade may be combined with corporate, senior, disabled and military discounts.
  • Upgrades cannot be combined with other discounts or coupons.
  • Not valid on Amtrak Guest Rewards redemption travel.
  • Travel blackouts apply: Nov. 23-24, 2021; Nov. 27-29, 2021.
  • Offer is not valid on the following services: Adirondack®, Auto Train®, California Zephyr®, Capitol Limited®, Cardinal®, City of New Orleans®, Crescent®, Empire Builder®, Keystone Service®, Lake Shore Limited®, Silver Meteor®, Silver Star®, Southwest Chief®, Sunset Limited®, Texas Eagle®, and train/Thruway series 7000 – 8999.
  • This Coupon# is unique to your coupon and valid for one use only. Buying or selling this coupon is prohibited and will invalidate the coupon. Coupon may be transferred to a family member or friend.
  • Other restrictions may apply.

The 10% discount has strict policy, read them what you can use on. The auto train coupon is good if you want get your car 1st before the rest.

10% Discount Policy:
  • Coupon is valid for 10% off one (1) regular (full) adult rail fare for a single one-way ticket.
  • Seating is limited; seats may not be available on all trains at all times. Fares are subject to availability.
  • Valid for travel on all Amtrak service except Acela and train/Thruway series 7000-8999.
  • Valid for upgrades to Business class seats upon full payment of applicable accommodations charges. Not valid for sleeper accommodations.
  • Travel blackouts apply: Nov. 23-24, 2021; Nov. 27-29, 2021.
  • The Coupon# is unique to your coupon and valid for one use only. Buying or selling this coupon is prohibited and will invalidate the coupon. Coupon may be transferred to a family member or friend.
  • Other restrictions may apply.

The companion coupon is good if you purchase 1 seat, 2nd person rides with you for free. I would suggest call Amtrak Guest Rewards #800 nbr and do that, they are able to do it.

If you don't want the coupons, contact Amtrak Guest Rewards and request transfer them to anyone you want, if they will allow.

Back