What to bring on an overnight trip on Amtrak in Dec

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kbyrdleroydogg

Train Attendant
Probably been asked this before but what do you typically bring on an overnight ride on Amtrak in December. I'm going from NYC to Chicago on the Viewliner (Lake Shore Limited). I just want to make sure I have everything I need on my trip.

Are you in coach?
I find a warm hat is essential no matter the season, the a/c always seems to blow onto my balding head!
Ear plugs, eye mask, cheap blanket. I have seen folk bringing full size pillows aboard too. Good to dress in "layers" of clothing to add or remove as temperature dictates,

I like to pack light, so I do not bring a pillow or a blanket. The ones that Amtrak provides work for me. I wear layers and more layers, so if it is cold in my room, I put on more, if it is warm (which is common in the winter, I take off down to my tank top). Because I like going outside at fresh air stops (and I am a Floridian), I bring hat, gloves, scarf, warm socks so I do not freeze my face, feet, butt, etc. off when the wind chill is below zero in the winter.

Back