What to do 8pm-midnight in Pittsburgh?

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Pal2Pluto

Train Attendant
One of our stopovers will be Pittsburgh in July 2022. We pull in at 8pm and leave at midnight. What's the surrounding area like? Walkable at night? Anything within walking distance? or even open in the evening? Or will we be needing to just stay in the station for 4 hours?

PaTrainFan

OBS Chief
That time of year you should be fine and don't consider downtown to be unsafe. There are places you can go in the "Strip District," not far from the station for some good eating and bars, if you're into that. Some decent restaurants are downtown and walkable from the station. Go to Station Square and ride the incline to Mt. Washington for a spectacular view of the city. If you are into transit, take a ride on the T (a stop is a 5 minute walk from the station) which is free in the downtown zone and to the North Shore, where there is some entertainment. Trust me, you don't want to spend 4 hours in the station!

Sidney

OBS Chief
One of our stopovers will be Pittsburgh in July 2022. We pull in at 8pm and leave at midnight. What's the surrounding area like? Walkable at night? Anything within walking distance? or even open in the evening? Or will we be needing to just stay in the station for 4 hours?
When I do that Pittsburgh layover on the way to connect with a Western train in Chicago I always have luggage with me. I'd venture outside the station,but not sure they would hold my luggage. Never asked. If they would I would take a walkm

Trollopian

Service Attendant
AU Supporter
In July 2022, evenings will be long, people will be out, downtown will feel pretty safe. I second PaTrainFan's recommendations. The Amtrak station is approximately halfway between two Primanti locations, one in the Strip (away from downtown) and one in Market Square (smack downtown). See Locations and enter zip code "15222." If I were you I'd fill up at Primanti's, and hop the "T" or even walk to Station Square and the Incline. You owe yourself a view of Pittsburgh's bridges and hills and rivers. Or, check the Pirates' schedule. Perennially weak team (but there's always next year!), best ballpark in the major leagues, a 1-mile walk or a free T ride from the Amtrak station. Get cheap tickets and miss the first 3 innings, no big deal. Yinz will have a great layover!

My choice would be the Penn Brewery, across the Allegheny River from the station, about a 25 minute walk or 5 minute cab/ride-share. Hearty German food and beer, live music, with a great beer garden atmosphere in the courtyard.

Trollopian

Service Attendant
AU Supporter
By the way...I'm just guessing that you're transferring from the Pennsylvanian to the westbound Capitol Limited; the times (8 p.m. to midnight) fit. I assumed that between two long-ish trips you might like to stretch your legs and see a bit of the 'burgh. But if the weather's dreary, or the Pennsylvanian arrives late, or you're not up to the suggested walks, no problem! The magnificent Omni William Penn Hotel is 4 short blocks (0.3 miles; don't bother with the "William Penn Place" address, just head up Grant St.) from the Amtrak station and is one of those magnificent older hotels with sumptuous lobby and a cozy tap room. There are at least two hotels that are closer to the station, but the William Penn is a Pittsburgh icon. You'll miss experiencing the rivers and hills and bridges but you get a half-decent view of them from your trains. Yinz welcome.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
When I do that Pittsburgh layover on the way to connect with a Western train in Chicago I always have luggage with me. I'd venture outside the station,but not sure they would hold my luggage. Never asked. If they would I would take a walkm
The kind Agents @ Pittsburgh have always kept my Luggage for Free in their Bag Room during the Layover waiting on the Cap.Ltd.

I've been to several of the places mentioned and only say you probably should use Ride Share if your not familiar with Downtown, as was said it's Safe but can be confusing finding your way in the dark.

Latest posts