What to do in Richmond,VA during 5 hrs layover?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colobok

Service Attendant
We will be connecting in Richmond, VA to southbound Meteor, so we'll have about 5 hours to kill (4:40-9:50pm) if we are not very late from Cardinal.

Any ideas what to do on Sunday evening with 2 kids?

I realize that the station is not in the city.

But we are Ok with taxi or bus ride.

The only thing I found so far is:

Children's Farm in Maymont (open till 7pm).

Any other ideas?

We will be connecting in Richmond, VA to southbound Meteor, so we'll have about 5 hours to kill (4:40-9:50pm) if we are not very late from Cardinal.

Any other ideas?
The evening hour, and being Sunday somewhat limits the options. As you know, the Richmond station is located in an older, suburban area west of the city. There is not much within walking distance. With a cab option, there is always the time-honored way to kill a couple of hours - head to the movies. There are several multiplex theaters in the Richmond West End. You could check the showtimes, and if something looked good for the family and the times worked, that would not be too bad a way to make the layover more bearable. Getting a cab to the theater would be easy. The trick would be to ensure you have a cab ride to get back to the station.

Any other ideas?
kerrytown has lots of resturrants and movies, and lots to do

Any other ideas?
Actually, Carytown.

It is an artsy area with neat restaurants and shops. Not a bad idea, particularly if the kids are old enough to tolerate a little walking and browsing and the weather is decent.

Any other ideas?
Actually Maymont is a really good idea. It is also very close to Carytown, 5 minute cab ride. The Staples Mill Station is a 20 minute ride to Maymont. There would be time for Maymont then a nice dinner and cab ride back to the Station. Maymont is not a place (Carytown either) that are cab friendly. You should ask the cab driver for a business card so you can call for a cab in advance.

EDIT: There are plenty of cabs available at the Station.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the same thing last November and was hoping that the Cardinal would be late, so the layover would be shorter. No such luck, but fortunately the Meteor was on time. I stayed in the station, played with my tablet, read, watched trains, and people watched. I was pretty bored and happy I did not have to entertain children. It was a Sunday night, after Veteran's Day, and there were loads of college kids returning to college on 66. I was amazed how busy the station was.

There is a snack bar in the station that closed shortly after we arrived. I had my own food with me.

Any other ideas?
Carytown, is a fun place with lots of nice restaurants. Maymont Park is a beautiful park, too.

If the movie selection is appropriate/decent and the timing works out, you might consider a movie at the Byrd Theater (which is a 1920s movie palace). The selection varies dramatically (I think I once saw a re-run of Shrek playing alongside Brideshead Revisited), but the theater is something of an experience in and of itself.

Go to Buz and Neds for the ribs! It is just off Monument, so if you have your cab driver take that route it is a great view of old Richmond. Statues of Robert E. Lee, J. E. B. Stuart, Stonewall Jackson and Arthur Ashe, LOL. And you are right next to Shockoe slip for walking too. I guess that is what is called Carytown now, shows you how long it has been since I hung out in Richmond.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_Avenue

Honestly, I would stay close. Not a whole lot to do around the station and what is open closes early on Sunday. More than likely, your not going to have the full 5 hour layover. 50 has been coming into Charlottesville pretty regularly around 4-430. That's 6-630 into Richmond and that's right around the time most places close on Sunday here. Get a cab and get them to take you over to Broad Street. It's our main drag down here with just about every kind of restaurant you could want. Movieland off the Boulevard is really good and about a 10 minute cab ride. As stated, get the cab drivers phone number and let them know what you're doing so your not waiting for them while you watch 97 wiz by.

If you enjoy seeing trains and traveling on rail - you could do this...

Take Amtrak #66 to Ashland (6:35 departure). Ashland is a much better location to train watch, with a historic small town depot - with nice old benches and a quaint covered platform. Also, you can stroll Railroad Ave to see the large old Victorian homes located on the tracks. The mainline goes through the heart of Ashland with over 50 trains a day (maybe more than that) - so it's a good place to watch trains.

Also an outstanding restaurant is located right on the tracks by the station... "The Iron Horse". The restaurant has two sides - one is formal - with a chef, and is excellent... They have great Chesapeake bay area oysters, etc.. with giant plate glass windows looking out at the tracks - with very high ceilings (located in an old trackside storefront building). Maybe a 4 star rating... The other side of the resturant is a tavern/pub which has amazing brick oven pizzas at a reasonable cost. And you can order the oysters on that side as an appetiser. They also have live music on the other side. The food and their beer selection is great. And both sides face the tracks - with large windows. The place really shakes when the freights rumble by... You can see, hear and feel the close by trains when they pass.

Then catch either Amtrak #93 or Amtrak 85 back down to the Staples Mill Road station. Both of those trains run well in front of the Meteor. The last train is #85 - which departs Ashland at 8:53 PM and arrives at RVR at 9:10 PM. If is it late - just have a cab take you the 12 miles between the two stations. There are cabs in Ashland, but have their phone number in advance - just to be safe.

The only bus that runs by the station operates only on weekdays (What are you thinking, GRTC?). I'd probably hop a cab and check out the Broad Street Station (which closes at 5 on, well, everyday). Then hop back in the cab and have him run you over to the Main Street Station.

Take lots of pictures and post here. :)

Actually Maymont is a really good idea. It is also very close to Carytown, 5 minute cab ride. The Staples Mill Station is a 20 minute ride to Maymont. There would be time for Maymont then a nice dinner and cab ride back to the Station. Maymont is not a place (Carytown either) that are cab friendly. You should ask the cab driver for a business card so you can call for a cab in advance.
How safe is the area between Maymont and Carytown?

Google maps shows that it takes about 18 minutes to walk.

But is safe area to walk in the evening?

The only bus that runs by the station operates only on weekdays (What are you thinking, GRTC?). I'd probably hop a cab and check out the Broad Street Station (which closes at 5 on, well, everyday). Then hop back in the cab and have him run you over to the Main Street Station.
I was always impressed how badly public transportation is designed in USA.

Richmond is the capital of Virginia, located very close to the WAS - the National Capital,

RVR is the main station for Richmond with about 20 trains per day which makes it very important destination

in the city and they have 0 (ZERO) buses available on weekends!!!

How are people supposed to get to the station???

If the Cardinal is late and you decide to hang out in the station area, there is a mom and pop restaurant next to the station (on the right as you look at the tracks). I believe its called Anthony and Georges Steak house. Food is just ok, but not a bad spot to hang out for a couple hours if the kids tire of the station.

I was just about to ask about that place since we are doing the same layover in Aug. the reviews are so-so, but the beer is cheap (just a reference, I know this is a where to take the kids question). http://www.anthonyandgeorges.com/

I usually prefer to eat at local places, but the menu doesn't look that great. Might be better off cabbing it to Outback or one of the chains just a couple miles away.

How safe is the area between Maymont and Carytown?

Google maps shows that it takes about 18 minutes to walk.

But is safe area to walk in the evening?
I consider the area to be safe. Walking along the Boulevard you will see many restored row houses, little to no commercial/retail until you reach Carytown. The area residents are mainly students who go to VCU, young professionals and empty nesters; a very eclectic/artistic/intellectual mix. I went to high school near Carytown, although many moons ago, and it has always been a safe area.

If you decide to walk you may want to walk South towards the James River to the "Nickel Bridge." Called that because the toll used to be a nickel. You can look East and see the Richmond skyline and get a great view of the rocky James River. The rocks become a popular "beach" in the Summer. It would be a short walk from Maymont but is down a rather steep hill making for a climb back to Carytown. Google "Dogwood Dell" which is part of Maymont Park. It is an outdoor ampitheater that has free concerts, plays, etc. There may be something going on while you are in town.

Another responder mentioned Buzz and Ned's, an awesomely great BBQ joint, limited seating, mostly outdoors under a tent but WELL WORTH IT!! Should you decide to stay near the Staples Mill station, Buzz and Ned's opened a 2nd location at the corner of Broad St. and Parham Rd. which is a short 5 minute cab ride from the station. It was a former Fudrucker's burger place so there should be ample indoor seating......crowd notwithstanding.

Not to complicate your decision making but abcnews's idea of the short train trip to Ashland is also very good. Great small town atmosphere, small college town (Randolph Macon). The Iron Horse is great. The short(ish) distance from Staples Mill also affords you the taxi bailout if trains get delayed.

Go to Buz and Neds for the ribs! It is just off Monument, so if you have your cab driver take that route it is a great view of old Richmond. Statues of Robert E. Lee, J. E. B. Stuart, Stonewall Jackson and Arthur Ashe, LOL. And you are right next to Shockoe slip for walking too. I guess that is what is called Carytown now, shows you how long it has been since I hung out in Richmond.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_Avenue
Shockoe Slip is just east of Downtown Richmond, somewhat close to Carytown which is west of the city, a separate area into itself. Shockoe Bottom has been having its issues with violent crime of late but that is early in the AM when the bars are closing. I think your memory of Richmond may have been muddied by the many watering holes in the area. :lol:

There is a Martin's supermarket (formerly Ukrop's) within 2 minutes walking distance from the station. Salad bar, hot meals, seating area. Open at least until 9 on Sunday.

http://en.wikipedia....Monument_Avenue
Shockoe Slip is just east of Downtown Richmond, somewhat close to Carytown which is west of the city, a separate area into itself. Shockoe Bottom has been having its issues with violent crime of late but that is early in the AM when the bars are closing. I think your memory of Richmond may have been muddied by the many watering holes in the area. :lol:
I resemble that remark! LOL!

Yeah, we used to go to the Tobacco Company then to the Comedy Club and it was a long, long time ago and the drinks may have had a bit of an affect on my memory of downtown Richmond. But it is a very cool city, though I seem to remember that finding anything open on Sundays was a bit of a problem back then. We went to Travelers and it was closed and my girlfriend just looked at me and said, "They close restaurants, ON SUNDAY!?"

And my memory may be off there too, because I can't find any sign of that restaurant any more. Did it close or was it a drink induced mirage?

http://en.wikipedia....Monument_Avenue
I resemble that remark! LOL!

Yeah, we used to go to the Tobacco Company then to the Comedy Club and it was a long, long time ago and the drinks may have had a bit of an affect on my memory of downtown Richmond. But it is a very cool city, though I seem to remember that finding anything open on Sundays was a bit of a problem back then. We went to Travelers and it was closed and my girlfriend just looked at me and said, "They close restaurants, ON SUNDAY!?"

And my memory may be off there too, because I can't find any sign of that restaurant any more. Did it close or was it a drink induced mirage?
No, your memory of the Traveller closing is not alcohol impaired. It closed perhaps 10 years ago. I ate there a few times, it was very good. The Tobacco Company remains strong, probably the last of the original Shockoe Bottom restaurants still around. Sam Miller's is still open although moved to a smaller location.

Back to the topic.

Is it a good idea to take Regional at 7pm from RVR to downtown station and then taxi back to RVR?

Is there something to see in downtown Richmond after 7pm? Is it safe area?

I like the idea of a side trip up to Ashland...... walking opportunities on the campus of Randolph-Macon College as well...... all within a block or two of the train station. Much more pleasant area than Staples Mill Road station area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back