What trains have new cars?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan

Train Attendant
I thought some routes had some of the new or at least some of the reconditioned cars. Just road the LSL and SwChief to Lamy I old, old cars. What happed? I will say I loved the full meals on the SwChief!

No new Superliners. Newest LD cars are the Viewliner IIs and they're on the Silvers and maybe the LSL.

The new bedding appears to be largely out, but I haven't heard any of the refurbished cars spotted yet. They'll roll out over the course of a few years, and it won't be on a train by train basis. Other than the captive Auto Train sets, Superliners run in a nationwide pool.

Here’s a thought. The refresh is all cosmetic. If they are actually still doing the refreshes now, the man power would be better spent getting mothballed equipment back on the tracks and in revenue service. SSL on the Eagle to start. The Trains article this month list all the downgrades due to unserviced equipment. With so little transparency at Amtrak it’s hard to show them any goodwill.

Last edited:
Here’s a thought. The refresh is all cosmetic. If they are actually still doing the refreshes now, the man power would be better spent getting mothballed equipment back on the tracks and in revenue service. SSL on the Eagle to start. The trains article this month list all the downgrades due to unserviced equipment. With so little transparency at Amtrak it’s hard to show them any goodwill.
Absolutely agree. And I have no faith in Amtrak's management at all, either.

Upgraded upholstery and linens are nice, but it's amusing that they claim it will transform rail travel.

I would imagine that, from time-to-time, the Auto Train may have some new cars - surely not everyone who travels on the AT has a clunker or older car ... some of them must have new cars 🤷‍♂️
No one drives a new car. :D Second it's off the lot, it's used. Of course, with this mob, it must be additionally noted that some companies allow for up to 1,500 miles on the odometer to still be considered "new".

Back to train cars: in a regrettable sort of way, there will eventually have to be some new equipment following the last few accidents.

Back