What Was Your Most Convoluted Single Trip Itinerary?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Notelvis

Conductor
Mine was in June 2002........ a trip that I booked while Amtrak was under threat of being completely shut down. My intention was riding some trains I'd never ridden before.

At this point I had ridden the entire California Zephyr route and the entire (Seattle section) Empire Builder route. I had ridden the Southwest Chief east of Albuquerque and the Sunset east of San Antonio only.

So....... with that background information,

Day 1........ I started by driving to Nashville, TN, flying Southwest Airlines to Spokane, WA, and catching a cab (at 10:00pm) downtown to the Amtrak Station.

Day 2....... in the wee hours I caught the #27 to Portland and caught the Coast Starlight.

Day 3....... I arrived in Los Angeles and spent the night at the Dragon Gate Best Western.

Day 4...... Roundtrip to San Diego with a ride on the San Diego trolley. Back in Los Angeles I caught the Southwest Chief riding in roomette - my first sleeping car on this trip.

Here's where the convoluted part comes in

Day 5......... arrive in Albuquerque, catch the local bus to the airport, fly Southwest Airlines BACK to Los Angeles, take the shuttle downtown to Union Station. It was pretty surreal walking in almost exactly 24 hours after I had departed on #4.

Then......... board the #422 sleeper (roomette) for a two night ride (so I thought) on the Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle to Ft. Worth.

Day 6........ arrive in El Paso (a Saturday) where #2 is annulled due to a UP derailment. We are told that buses are on their way to carry us overnight to San Antonio. Does not sound good. I teamed up with two other passengers and caught a cab to the airport, bought a walkup ticket (on Southwest) for a flight to Dallas where I got a hotel room.

Day 7........ I caught the local bus then light rail to downtown Dallas and caught a Greyhound Bus to Ft. Worth. I would have gone on the Trinity Rail Express but that was not an option on a Sunday. Once in Ft. Worth I resumed my original itinerary and caught the Heartland Flyer to Oklahoma City. Don't recall the hotel but it was one of those chain places by the airport. Interestingly, there were several other passengers onboard who had been on #422 with me out of Los Angeles. They had ridden the bus from El Paso and had endured a sleepless night.

Day 8........ flew back to Nashville and drove home.

Day 9....... Called Amtrak Customer Service and politely asked for a travel voucher in the amount equivalent to the roomette accommodation fare from El Paso to Ft. Worth. They instead issued a voucher for the entire Los Angeles - Ft. Worth segment of the trip. I used that voucher a few months later for a bedroom from Clemson, SC to New York on the Crescent.

I'll add that the amount of the Amtrak voucher was nearly twice what I spent for my unplanned cab ride, flight to and hotel in Dallas, and Greyhound ride to Ft. Worth. It was an adventure with the exception of the extra screening I received at the El Paso airport for buying a one way airline ticket less than 90 minutes before flight time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not done it yet, but this is my future Convoluted trip.

November 4 – Lake Shore Limited – Worcester to Chicago

November 5 – Empire Builder – Chicago to Portland

November 7 – Coast Starlight – Portland to Los Angeles

November 8 – Texas Eagle – Los Angeles to Chicago

November 11 – Capitol Limited – Chicago to Washington

November 12 – Silver Meteor – Washington to Orlando

November 13 to 15 – Stay in Orlando

November 15 – Silver Star – Orlando to Washington

November 16 to 17 – Stay in Washington

November 17 – Cardinal – Washington to Chicago

November 18 – Southwest Chief – Chicago to Los Angeles

November 20 – Pacific Surfliner – Los Angeles to San Diego

November 20 to 24 – Stay in San Diego

November 24 – Pacific Surfliner – San Diego to Los Angeles

November 24 – Texas Eagle – Los Angeles to Chicago

November 27 – Lake Shore Limited – Chicago to Worcester

That's an awesome trip. All in coach?

My honeymoon:

Sunday, depart WAS-CHI on the Cardinal.

Monday: 4 hour layover in CHI, depart CHI-PDX on the Empire Builder

Wednesday: Arrive PDX, drive to Astoria for 4 awesome days.

Saturday: PDX-SEA on Talgo

Monday: Depart SEA-LAX on Coast Starlight

Tuesday: Arrive LAX.

Wednesday: Tour LA with new in-laws. Depart LAX on the SWC

Friday: 4 hour late SWC means no CHI layover - off one train and onto the next.

Saturday: Arrive back in WAS

Can't wait to do it again.

Yes, all in coach. It is my final trip for the year and not sure what my year looks like next year, so instead of having two trips in September and November, I am combining them and saving money on the 30-day rail pass rather than (2) 15-day passes. When this trip is over, the only LD trains I will not have traveled on are the Sunset past San Antonio, the City of New Orleans. I am sure there are others, but can not recall them.

July 1978, completed bar exam, left the same night, Memphis to Chicago on CONO in roomette,

GM&O commuter plug to Joliet,

Southwest Limited (now SW Chief) bedroom Joliet to L.A., still had "pleasure dome."

Down to San Diego and back on coach,

Sunset Limited Hi Level Coach (pre-Superliner) to New Orleans,

Boarded transcontinental sleeper in roomette on 10-6 sleeper that stayed overnight in New Orleans and left NOLA before I awakened.

Southern Railway (pre Amtrak Crescent) to Meridian, eating breakfast in dining car.

Greyhound to Jackson, Ms.

CONO to Memphis.

Drove home to Jackson, TN, reported back to work after shower and one long night's sleep, worked Iselin Yard midnight van job on ICG Railroad carrying freight train crews, supplies, etc.

In November-December 2009 Mrs. Ispolkom and I did the following itinerary:

1) St. Paul - Minot (coach) I did this leg alone

2) Minot - Chicago (bedroom) I picked up Mrs. Ispolkom in St. Paul

3) Chicago - Boston (bedroom) legs 2 & 3 were a two-zone AGR award

4) Boston - Providence (regional coach) visted relatives

5) Providence - New York (regional coach)

6) New York - Alexandria (roomette) legs 5 & 6 were the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Visited relatives in No. Va.

7) Washington - Savannah (roomette)

Drove from Savannah to Atlanta

8) Atlanta - Washington (Viewliner bedroom)

9) Washington - Chicago (family bedroom)

10) Chicago - Minot (standard bedroom) legs 8-10 were a one-zone AGR award

11) Minot - St. Paul (roomette)

My mother in Minot was confused why a trip to the east coast started by traveling 500 miles west, and ended the same way.

I've taken longer trips, but never one with as many different kinds of accommodation, from a cramped Amfleet 1 coach to a spacious Viewliner bedroom.

Fall 2010, my wife and I on 30 day Rail Pass (all coach). Got on the CS in Albany Oregon to Sacramento. Breakfast at Denny's. Got on the CZ shortly after 11 AM with cold sub sandwiches and drinks for lunch. Straight through to Chicago. CL only as far as Silver Spring where our daughter met us. Spent a couple days with her. She took us to WAS to catch the Silver Meteor to Kissimmee FL. We rented a car there to go to see my dad who lived in Melbourne then. We dropped off the car in Melbourne and had one of dad's neighbors take us back to KIS. Silver all the way back to WAS. Had wife sit with the luggage in WUS while I walked over to the east steps of the Capitol. CL back to CHI. SW Chief all the way to ABQ. two nights in ABQ at the Route 66 hostel.

Left ABQ Saturday afternoon. The train arrived 20 minutes "late" in Barstow. We sat at BAR for 40 minutes and left "on time". Our son picked us up in Victorville and took us to his place in Helendale. We got dropped off at the bus shelter in Adelanto for the bus trip to Bakersfield to get on the San Joaquin to Fresno. We had to get a taxi to the Fresno airport to rent a car to go to Yosemite (south entrance). We spent a night at the "BUG" hostel near Midpines. Took the car back to Fresno through the morning thick fog.

Got on the next SJ all the way to Martinez. Sat for several hours waiting for the CS. Took the CS all the way overnight to Albany Oregon where my BIL was waiting with our car. This used all 12 segments and all 30 days.

Alas, I've not taken any convoluted Amtrak trips. Usually ATL or ATN to NOL and back. Once we traveled ATL-WAS, then took Amtrak (I don't even remember which train) to the Williamsburg area, stayed a week, then returned to WAS and then back to ATL on the Crescent. Boring compared to the rest of you!!

Mine was the Slidell Loophole trip, with a few extras on top, in July/August 2009.

Day #1....Flew from Spokane to Denver on Frontier.

Changed planes in Denver.

Flew from Denver to Midway.

Shuttle bus from Midway to Champaign, where my uncle picked me up.

Overnighted at my uncle's house, about 15 miles from Champaign

Day #2.....Caught the City of New Orleans in Champaign

Day #3.....City of New Orleans to New Orleans

overnight in New Orleans.

Day #4....Caught the Crescent in New Orleans

Day #5....Arrived in Washington DC on the Crescent

spent a few hours, with the help of a good friend of mine who lives in the DC area, exploring just a small sampling of Washington(the Capitol Building, Washington and Lincoln Monuments, etc.)

Caught the Capitol Limited in Washington.

Day #6....Arrived in Chicago on the CL.

Wandered around Chicago for a few hours

Caught the Empire Builder

Day #7.....Empire Builder

Day #8......Arrived in Portland on the EB

Spent time in Portland, including a stop at Powell's Bookstore

Caught the Coast Starlight.

Day #9 Arrived in Los Angeles on the CS.

Overnighted in LA

Day #10 Flew from Los Angeles to Spokane on Southwest Airlines, with a brief stop at Oakland.

Glad my uncle and I were able to do this before the Slidell Loophole closed.

Our most convoluted trip was taken in Oct.2011. This was a round trip AGR award . Without AGR and Chase, we would never have been able to afford to see so much of the west coast. I still think about what a wonderful time we had and how much I'm looking forward to planning another.

Day 1-Ambus STP to ORL : where we sat and waited for an extremely late SM(got to meet Jackie takes the Train and Venture Forth while waiting in the station), to WAS
Day 2-CL WAS to CHI,:
Day 3 SWC, CHI to LA
Day 5-CS LA to Okland: Bus to downtown San Francisco, Cab($50) to Oyster Point
Met up with children who had flown in from TPA, PGH and WAS for nephew's wedding. Daughter #1 had to return to work, but others rented a car and on day 8 we drove from SF to Carmel.
Day 10 drove to Big Sur
Day 12 drove to Yosemite and stayed at the Ahwahnee :)
Day 14 drove to Lake Tahoe, stayed at Squaw Valley
Day 15 After visiting Donner St. Park Memorial that afternoon, the kids dropped us off in Truckee and we rode the Ambus to Sacramento. CS to Seattle.
Day 19 Amtrak Cascades to Portland
Day 20 EB to CHI
Day 22 CL to WAS
Day 23 SM to ORL and then Ambus to STP

June 2009:

Day 1: City of New Orleans = New Orleans - Chicago (Roomette)

Day 2: Overnight in Gurnee, IL

Day 3: Capitol Limited = Chicago - Washington (Roomette)

Day 4: Overnight in Washington

Day 5: NE Regional = Washington - New York (Coach)

Days 5-6: Overnight in New York

Day 7: Adirondack = New York - Port Kent, NY (Coach)

Day 7: Ferry to Burlington, VT & Overnight in Burlington

Day 8: Vermonter = Essex Jct. - New York (Coach)

Day 8: Overnight in New York

Day 9: Acela Express = New York - Boston (Business)

Days 9-10: Overnight in Boston

Day 10: Downeaster = Boston - Portland - Boston (Coach)

Day 11: Acela Express = Boston - Washington (First Class)

Day 11: Overnight in Washington

Day 12: NE Regional = Washington - Williamsburg (Coach)

Day 12: Overnight in Williamsburg

Day 13: NE Regional = Williamsburg - Washington (Coach)

Day 13: Overnight in Washington

Day 14: Crescent = Washington - New Orleans (Roomette)

Also, January 2012:

Day 1: City of New Orleans = Hammond, LA - Chicago (Roomette)

Day 2: Cardinal = Chicago - New York (Roomette)

Days 3-4: Overnight in New York

Day 5: Maple Leaf = New York - Toronto (Business)

Day 5: Overnight in Toronto

Days 6-9: VIA Rail Canadian = Toronto - Vancouver (Cabin for One)

Day 10: Amtrak Cascades = Vancouver - Seattle

Day 10: Overnight in Seattle

Days 11-12: Empire Builder = Seattle - Chicago (Roomette)

Day 13: City of New Orleans = Chicago - Hammond, LA (Roomette)

Summer 2011: SEA-PDX-Steam excursion to WIH-PDX-SAC-GBB-KCY-STL-SAS-NOL-CHI-SEA. The end of that almost turned into CHI-LAX-SEA because of the flooding in ND, but I got the second EB after it started running again.

October 2012: SEA-CHI-BAL-CLB-WPK-RVR-PHL-(bunches of short trains at the Gathering)-MET-PHL-NOL-CHI-SEA.

I'll be leaving on a similarly convoluted trip in a few weeks -- stay tuned! :)

And yes, I did stop over in some of those places to see friends and relatives. I really don't set out to take trips like this: mostly they start with something simple, but then I think, "well, while I'm there, why don't I go there as well?" But AU has convinced me that I can do the whole system, so I'm working on completing the bits I haven't done yet, like the Downeaster and the Heartland Flyer. Hmm, fitting those into the same trip will be a challenge :)

Mine was in July of 2005 when Amtrak still Sold the North American Rail Pass! I purchased a 30 Day Pass(Unlimited Trains on Amtrak and VIA) for $328 and took the Following Trains: (with Paid Upgrades where Indicated)

#!TE#22 AUS-CHI Upgrade to Roomette

Chicago-One Night in Hostel* Cub Game@ Wrigley field

#2LSL#49 CHI-NYP Upgrade to Roomette

New York City- Visited with Brother for 4 Days*

#3Regional NYP-BOS Coach-Red Sox game @ Fenway

#4Downeaster BOS-POR Business Class

Portland, Maine-One Night in Hotel*

#5Downeaster POR-BOS Business Class

#6Regiional #67 BOS-NYP Business Class Upgrade

#7Adirondack#69 NYP-MTL Coach

#8-Constellation MTL-Toronto Upgrade to Room-Overnight

#9VIA-Corridor TWO-Ottawa VIA-1 (Business Class)

Ottawa- Two Nights with Sister-in-Law*

#10VIA-Corridor Ottawa-Niagara Falls VIA-1 (Business Class)

Niagara Falls, ON- 2 Nights in Motel*

#11VIA Corridor NFS-Oakville,ON Coach

Oakville,ON- 3 Nights with In=Laws*

#12VIA Corridor Oakville-Windsor Coach

Windsor,ON- 2 Nights with B-I-L*

#13Amtrak Wolverine#351 Detroit-CHI Business Class Upgrade

#14Texas Eagle#21 CHI-AUS Upgrade to Roomette

Mine was not so "convoluted" as it was a round-trip back to where I began. This was all on a North America Rail Pass (before that was gone.)

January 2008:

Started in Sacramento, CA

Caught the California Zephyr to Denver, in roomette. From there, was picked up by a friend and stayed in the Denver area for two days. Rented a car and drove to Laramie, WY and stayed four days with family friends, the drove back to Denver.

California Zephyr from Denver to Chicago, in roomette. Stayed in Chicago for two days, picked up at CUS by a Chicago fireman and spent the time at his house. Rode along with the Chicago Fire Department for the duration of my stay. Actually had to hail a cab from a fire scene to make it back to CUS to catch my train!

Lakeshore Limited Chicago to New York City, in roomette. Stayed in Manhattan with family friends, and rode along with the FDNY for four days.

Adirondack NYP to Montreal. Met up with my (future) wife in Montreal, spent the night and most of the next day.

VIA Corridor Montreal to Toronto. Spent two days in Toronto, enjoying the time with the future Mrs. Blackwolf

And here is where things began getting convoluted!

Was supposed to be on VIA's Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver... But due to a freight derailment, the train was cancelled! (Long story.) Spent most of the day tooling around Toronto, until late in the evening when VIA sprung entirely on their dime to FLY THE ENTIRE TRAIN'S WORTH OF PASSENGERS TO WINNIPEG!! This was during a blizzard, and Toronto Pierson International Airport was closed. Everyone was bussed to a regional airport somewhere outside the city for their flight!

Arrived in Winnipeg, spent the night at the Raddison Hotel, with all food in the hotel restaurant paid for by VIA, and boarded the west-bound Canadian for an on-time departure of 5 PM! In Upper Berth.

Cascades from Vancouver to Seattle (was during the time all Talgo set were out of service, did this in Superliner Coach.)

Was supposed to go from Seattle back to Sacramento on the Coast Starlight in Roomette, but the train was cancelled due to a massive mud slide south of Portland! Was offered by Amtrak to do the trip in Coach on the EB to Chicago and then on the CZ back to Sac... No options of doing it in Sleeper. I declined, took a voucher, and flew home on Alaska Airlines.

This thread will not be complete until the_traveler posts in it.

Out of curiosity, what is the longest / most complex route you can book as one trip through Amtrak?

I've taken some cross-country trips, but nothing complicated. My "dream trip" would be Denver, CO to Whitefish, MT, via CZ-CS-EB. Three trains, three nights, and most of the great train scenery in the US, all in one trip! Even better, it's just a one zone AGR award! The only downside is a 10 hour layover in Sacramento.

Just messing around with Amtrak's site & found a similar, but longer trip from Omaha, NE to Columbus, WI. 5 days, 108 hours and 3 trains, all in one trip. I thought that was pretty good for a pair of cities only 500 miles apart.

Out of curiosity, what is the longest / most complex route you can book as one trip through Amtrak?

I've taken some cross-country trips, but nothing complicated. My "dream trip" would be Denver, CO to Whitefish, MT, via CZ-CS-EB. Three trains, three nights, and most of the great train scenery in the US, all in one trip! Even better, it's just a one zone AGR award! The only downside is a 10 hour layover in Sacramento.

Just messing around with Amtrak's site & found a similar, but longer trip from Omaha, NE to Columbus, WI. 5 days, 108 hours and 3 trains, all in one trip. I thought that was pretty good for a pair of cities only 500 miles apart.
DP= In your case you can ask the Agent to extend your trip to Davis/Martinez or even Emeryville to avoid the Looooong Layover in SAC! Many of us have done this and it seems to depend on which Agent you get when you make this Request! (And Omaha to CBS would be a 3 Zone Trip under the New AGR Rules!)

I'm thinking that the_traveler is the Master of Booking these kind of Trips and will have an Answer, and not Counting the Loophole Trips from the Good Old Days (Slidell/Columbus,WI) I'd think that AUS-WPT would be the Longest 2 Zone Trip (6 Days/5 Nights) Available! The Longest 1 Zone trip would be ELP-WPT (4Days/4 Nights)

Maybe something like this?

11 Coast Starlight

2013-11-07T14:25:00.000-08:00 Portland, OR
Union Station
(PDX)
Departs: 2:25 PM
Thu Nov 07 2013
Portland, OR - Union Station (PDX)
Station News

Arrives: 6:15 AM
Fri Nov 08 2013
Sacramento, CA (SAC)
Station News
PT115H30M Duration: 15 hr, 50 min

6 California Zephyr
Departs: 11:09 AM
Fri Nov 08 2013
Sacramento, CA (SAC)
Station News
Arrives: 2:50 PM
Sun Nov 10 2013
Chicago, IL - Union Station (CHI)
Station News
Duration: 49 hr, 41 min

30 Capitol Limited

Departs: 6:40 PM
Sun Nov 10 2013
Chicago, IL - Union Station (CHI)
Station News
Arrives: 1:10 PM
Mon Nov 11 2013
Washington, DC - Union Station (WAS)
Station News
Duration: 17 hr, 30 min

97 Silver Meteor

Departs: 7:30 PM
Mon Nov 11 2013
Washington, DC - Union Station (WAS)
Station News
Arrives: 12:55 PM
Tue Nov 12 2013
Orlando, FL (ORL)Orlando, FL
Orlando
(ORL)

Station News
Duration: 17 hr, 25 min

Of course you could add time by going all the way to Miami.

My most convoluted single trip was:

NYP-WAS; WAS-CHI; CHI-LAX; LAX-SAN; SAN-LAX; LAX-SEA; SEA-VAC; VAC-TWO (VIA Rail); TWO-NYP.

Unfortunately, I spent a good part of my trip on the Coast Starlight using my tethered non-3G cell phone to rebook hotels, trains, and other stuff for mom & I as VIA Rail went on strike while we were enroute.

So our trip ended up being SEA-VIF (Victoria, BC); VIF-SEA; SEA-CHI; CHI-NYP for the final legs.

Aloha

Well no longer available from Amtrak, but a few (quite a few) I booked thru Amtrak HNL-LAX-CHI-MIA-LAx-HNL Honolulu LAX was on Hawaiian Airlines, LAX-MIA was on United, MIA-LAX was on the Sunset Limited. Back then there was an Air-Rail package where either outbound or return bu United. Hawaii was not included. But Amtrak would ticket the Hawaii Round trip.

Not the longest of trips, but certainly a roundabout (convoluted) route, earlier this year:

Flew to San Francisco with my husband, took Coast Starlight from Oakland to LA, connecting with the eastbound Sunset Ltd there.

Got off in Tucson for a few days. Husband flew home, I got back on the eastbound Sunset Ltd.

Here's where it gets convoluted: I was aiming to end up in Toccoa, GA, not far north from Atlanta. So the obvious route would be Sunset Ltd Tucson to NOL, then the Crescent from NOL to Toccoa.

But nooooo. The Crescent was cancelled, due to track work, on the day I needed to travel. This trip was in part paid for with AGR points, and the AGR agent routed me this way:

Sunset Ltd/Texas Eagle from Tucson to Chicago

Capitol Ltd Chicago to DC

Crescent from DC south to Toccoa

Extra train time was fine by me on this trip. :) Although I'm sure some folks would think it crazy to travel from AZ to GA via Chicago and DC, those folks probably aren't on this list. At least not if the travel is on trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back