What will happen if you get left behind at a smoke stop?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most smokers i have seen on my LD trips have been pretty good about stepping away from the car and congregating in one or two easy to avoid spots. I dont smoke but I think the bias against smokers is a bit over the top.
What you call "bias" I call a statement of fact. Second-hand smoke is a proven cancer-causing carcinogen. I personally have observed smokers --especially in

winter--staying close to the train door, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. And just because the smokers are 20 feet away or in "an easy to avoid spot" doesn't

mean their smoke stays 20 feet away or is easy to avoid.

Again, I'm not blaming smokers for causing people to miss getting back on the train on time. I'm just explaining one reason why people feel the need to wander

a bit further afield than they should. Non-smokers who want to stretch their legs but not inhale cigarette smoke. Not bias, just truth.

As a life long non-smoker with asthma, I hold my breath for the couple of seconds it takes to step out and move a few feet out on the platform. That way I'm in control of what I breathe in myself, and so am not a "victim" of second-hand smoke. Amtrak banned smoking, and that is what they should have done since it is a closed environment. Now smokers have to smoke outside and I say leave the smokers be. If they want to huddle by the door in the cold, let them.

Going further afield to avoid smoke doesn't have to be more than 20 feet. That is easily in the range to reboard. Going across the street to "avoid smoke" isn't an excuse, stupidity is the excuse for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, considering they can't go much farther and can't smoke on the train, I'm ok with them staying 20-30 feet away and grouped up away from passengers. If the smoke bothers me, I can walk upwind so it doesn't come near me. I'm not going to stand there and yell at them to move if they're nowhere near the door or where I'm standing. There's lots of room to walk around outside and still be near the train while avoiding smoke. I don't begrudge them if they're doing their best not to bother anyone with it.

Once, on the CZ we got off at Galesburg for designated smoke. The doors started closing with no toots at all. Even the staff seemed surprised. We barely got back on. Luckily I don't smoke anymore, so the entire train experience is more pleasant for me.

Long ago when I was in college, at Toledo there was a bar about a block away from the station entrance. When the Lake Shore would stop there, we would run to the bar, drink a shot and run back. All for that adrenaline.

I nearly got left behind in New Haven on my Vermonter trip a few weeks ago. I was heading northbound to Windsor, Vermont, walking the platform enjoying the engine change, waiting for the "All Aboard." Without any warning the conductor key closed all the doors of the Amfleet-I except for the one he was standing at. I was luckily able to run to that door and push by the conductor (who was making an announcement) get back on, he wasn't too happy with me. I did tell him I didn't hear the usual "All Aboard" announcement and double-toot from the ex-Metroliner Cab Car. I also ended up getting my ticket scanned twice on that trip when the conductor wrote me a seat check and removing it for Windsor Locks, CT (someone else sitting directly in front of me was sitting there) instead of Windsor, CT. The stations are one letter off.

If I was heading south it would have simply been a how will Amtrak get my luggage to me question? It would have been just a $12 mistake, the price of a Metro-North ticket back to Fordham in the Bronx where I am.

Long ago when I was in college, at Toledo there was a bar about a block away from the station entrance. When the Lake Shore would stop there, we would run to the bar, drink a shot and run back. All for that adrenaline.
In the past I've been known to enjoy a refreshing beverage at that bar. At that time it was called "Tennyson's", and claimed to be the bar from the Kenny Rogers song "Lucille''!

Awhile back I was watching the La Plata, MO railcam and the Eastbound SWC left one of the Conductors behind. The train got as far as the lookout shelter and stopped. Watched as the Conductor hoofed it to the train.
Many moons ago, I was talking with a sleeper attendant on the Sunset who usually worked the Chief. He told the story of a time that he was inexplicably left in Newton, Kansas at two in the morning with his step stool. The train apparently ran for some distance with the door to his car open, and Amtrak ended up flying him to Chicago to make his next trip.

Here's video I got of Amtrak 355 at royal oak and the lady with the red bag almost missed the train. Luckily the train waited even though it gave the 2 horn blast for departure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that 2 horn blast very well. Last summer on the CZ eastbound I was shooting pictures at the Winter Park (Frasier) Colorado stop. Heard the 2 horn blast, heart skipped and beat and I ran to the nearest car. Was the transdorm and while nobody said anything I could tell the crew found it somewhat amusing :giggle:

With all the anti-noise ordinances, don't count on the two toots actually happening. Not to mention that usually by the time the two toots happen the doors are already closed.
Not necessarily so. I have heard at dozens of stops on the CZ where passengers were allowed to disembark to the platform to smoke where the conductor called up to the engineer to "give me two toots" as a means to recall all passengers to the train. Then, once the conductor believed that all passengers were back aboard, a highball (via radio or visually) would be transmitted to the engineer, who then might -- or might not -- give another two-blast of the horn to signal imminent departure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back