What would happen... if Amtrak failed?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What would happen if Amtrak failed? I think states that wanted to keep rail service would take over operation of regional trains. A private operator could operate New York to D.C. at profit depending on the sale price. Maybe Boston to NYC. too, not sure. The Northeast corridor really depends on business travelers returning back to precovid numbers. I'm not sure if business travel will ever return to those numbers again. That would definately hurt Acela but the regional trains would operate with normal passenger loads. Right now commuter trains in the U.S. are operating with very light passenger loads and significantly reduced schedules. If these business people can work from home and not commute into their office why would they need to travel long distances for a meeting? I think there is still a future for long distance train travel as an option. Commuter train travel on the otherhand might see some changes.

Back