What's in a name?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cho Cho Charlie

Engineer
I was just reading an article about the high-end accommodations being added onto new A380 and B787 planes.

For those of us familiar to Amtrak, such looks a lot like sleeper bedrooms and roomettes, though I must admit, with higher-end finishes (leather) and still that brand-new look.

However, instead of Amtrak names like "bedroom" and "roomette", they are called names like "The Residence", "First Apartment", "First Suite", and "Business Studio".

For example, just in terms of layout, a "First Apartment" looks like a bedroom and a "First Suite" looks like a roomette. For those, their names certainly makes one feel like one's receiving the First Class being purchased. I am sure that having the word "First" in the name, helps emphasize you are indeed in First Class.

Should Amtrak try to improve its First Class (Sleeper Class) experience, with more high-end names for the accommodations? Or stick with its basically utilitarian names?

I think the differentiation is that on those planes, it truly is First Class. Amtrak dropped that term years ago, for the more accurate, and utilitarian "Sleeper Class". Changing the name without the ammenities, would just lead to more disapointment, I think.

"First Apartment"? Sorry, naming conventions like that make me roll my eyes. I get that they do it to make people feel better about dropping a couple thousand extra on a flightly, but still: I'd roll my eyes. (My "first apartment" was a very sad studio apartment - and where I lived was so expensive that I was paying $650 a month, TWENTY YEARS AGO)

I like "roomette" and "bedroom." They're utilitarian but you don't get the feeling like you're being sold chopped liver and told it's fancy imported pate.

Amtrak has changed its room naming more than once. The current names are good. A rose by any other name would smells as sweet, but there's no point in renaming it.

What article?

Do you have a link or are you expecting us to debate your claims without any facts or context to work with?
Debating what claims? I see that the OP offered nothing to "debate" beyond the concept of Amtrak simply using trendier names, as other transportation is doing.

I saw a story about this on the news - with pictures.

They include sleeping areas, dining areas and even a butler! If you can affordable few tens of thousands of dollars for "a few hours" in your "apartment", more power to you. But I feel roomettes and bedrooms should remain the names on trains. The names may be utilitarian, but you know you're getting a room or a bed - not a mansion or a private chef or a ... Even a "bedroom suite" concerns me.

How many times do people here on AU ask about a "bedroom suite"? :huh: They think it's more than 2 bedrooms with an about 2 foot wide door between them that can be opened.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I book the bedroom "suite" when we go. I like having one room as a bed, the other in day configuration, one shower wet, and one bathroom, dry. I think it's a pretty accurate description. And the space, is awful nice!

Global News Photos in the link.

Do you have twenty one grand to spend? :hi:

CALGARY- An airline in the Middle East is raising the bar when it comes to luxury, first-class travel.

Etihad Airways has unveiled private suites and apartments on some of its new jets, in an effort to lure well-heeled passengers away from private jets.

The ‘First Apartments’ on the A380 fleet feature their own living rooms, and a reclining lounge chair/ottoman which converts into a fully flat bed. Each guest will have their own shower and use of the lobby which hosts a large screen TV, lounge, bar area and leather sofas.

Nine First Apartments will be installed on each plane, and six of them have connecting doors which will benefit groups travelling together.

“The final product is far superior to anything available in the market today, and more akin to the offerings of the world’s top five-star hotels,” said Peter Baumgartner, CCO of Etihad Airways, in a statement.

Indeed, the apartments are similar to luxe hotels, offering design touches like a chilled mini-bar, personal wardrobe, luxury amenities and a vanity with make-up mirrors.

Each apartment is 39 square feet—substantially much more than the average 31 inches granted to economy passengers on many airlines.

Etihad Airways also unveiled its ‘First Suites’ which will be on B787 planes. They also boast mini-bars, along with seats that can be joined to create an 80.5 inch double bed.

Baumgartner says their offerings set a new standard.

“Our new First Apartments and First Suites are major milestones for Etihad Airways and the global aviation industry as a whole, marking the dawn of an exciting new era in sophisticated, luxurious air travel.”

Etihad Airways is the national airline of the United Arab Emirates, which has long been famous for raising the bar. The country’s other airline, Emirates, launched an in-flight shower spa to help first-class passengers refresh during long trips, and also has lounges on upper decks with hors d’oeuvres and a full bar. Their private suites—while smaller than Etihad’s new offering—can also be closed off, and come with a mini-bar and flat-bed seats.

One-way flights in the First Apartments on Etihad Airways start at $21,000 per passenger.

What article?

Do you have a link or are you expecting us to debate your claims without any facts or context to work with?
Debating what claims? I see that the OP offered nothing to "debate" beyond the concept of Amtrak simply using trendier names, as other transportation is doing.
What trend are you referring to? As you can see above the actual story is that a single airline most Americans have never heard of is targeting dictators and conglomerates who maintain their own international aircraft. In other words these names sound absurd simply because they're getting lost in translation. Why couldn't the OP have included any of that context? Why can't you post as a member instead of hiding behind a guest login?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back