What's the deal with the Texas Eagle?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Short consists aside, I've been wondering how the TE joins with the SL in SAS. Are some of the cars just tacked onto the back of the SL when westbound? and vice versa eastbound? This would make sense considering the lack of traditional dining from CHI to SAS. Just curious and I haven't seen a definitive answer anywhere.

One or two coaches and a sleeper in the rear are attached to the Sunset in SAS. Going East they are removed and attached to the TE. If on time going Westbound you get a five hour layover. I used that time to go to Riverwalk.

One coach and one sleeper (421/422) are moved between the SL and TE in San Antonio. That happened even when the TE had a "dining" car - a Cross Country Cafe and offered traditional dining (pre-covid).
Most passengers sleep through the switching move.

Makes sense, thanks. I'm looking at going from Galesburg, to LAX, to SAC, then back to Galesburg (SWC, CS, CZ, with time in-between) and oddly enough I see the TE cheaper than the SWC. In January, for example, the TE is $766 at the lowest and the SWC is $900 (one person). As this would be a family trip this adds up quick!

Hi, Bob...
Greetings from North Texas! I've not been around for awhile, trying to close out a 57 year career, settle my Dad's estate, and resettling my Aunt.

After 1 Nov, I will have more time on my hands, and of course, the AMTRAK jones on my back is getting insistent - not to mention my daughter and granddaughter...

Do you or any of the other readers on this august gathering know of the current status of dining (!) on the Eagle? And still no SSL, I gather?

Hi, Bob...
Greetings from North Texas! I've not been around for awhile, trying to close out a 57 year career, settle my Dad's estate, and resettling my Aunt.

After 1 Nov, I will have more time on my hands, and of course, the AMTRAK jones on my back is getting insistent - not to mention my daughter and granddaughter...

Do you or any of the other readers on this august gathering know of the current status of dining (!) on the Eagle? And still no SSL, I gather?
Unfortunately the Texas Sparrow is still running with a Stub Train consist, Revenue Sleeper( Even on #421/#422 Days, and the Crew using Roomettes in the Sleeper)),CCC and 2 Coaches., at HIGH BUCKETS when not SOLDOUT.🤬

With Sightseer Lounges being used in California, and as Axle Count Cars on the CONO.. Not having one in the Eaglet consist makes Zero sense since they don't have to be Staffed

They still are operating the Diner and the Cafe out of the CCC, with 1 LSA trying to serve both, which means the Cafe is Closed while they are feeding the Sleeper Passengers.

Some SCAs and Coach attendants help out by delivering Meals and Food to the Cars, but Sleeper Passengers can eat in the CCC if desired.

You do have to fill out a COVID Checklist before riding, and Masks are required except in Private Rooms and while Eating and Drinking.

Unfortunately they are still serving Flex Swill as far as I know with vague promises of returning to Traditional Dining when enough Staff are hired and trained.

The New Bedding is in the Sleepers, and while I haven't ridden since it was installed, it gets great reviews from passengers

Unfortunately the Texas Sparrow is still running with a Stub Train consist, Revenue Sleeper( Even on #421/#422 Days, and the Crew using Roomettes in the Sleeper)),CCC and 2 Coaches., at HIGH BUCKETS when not SOLDOUT.🤬

<SNIP>

Thanks for the info.

Dammit! I think they have a Department of How to Urinify Customers.

So, we'll take the cooler and Keurig along again next time.

With Sightseer Lounges being used in California, and as Axle Count Cars on the CONO.. Not having one in the Eaglet consist makes Zero sense since they don't have to be Staffed

They still are operating the Diner and the Cafe out of the CCC, with 1 LSA trying to serve both, which means the Cafe is Closed while they are feeding the Sleeper Passengers.

Some SCAs and Coach attendants help out by delivering Meals and Food to the Cars, but Sleeper Passengers can eat in the CCC if desired.

You do have to fill out a COVID Checklist before riding, and Masks are required except in Private Rooms and while Eating and Drinking.

Unfortunately they are still serving Flex Swill as far as I know with vague promises of returning to Traditional Dining when enough Staff are hired and trained.

The New Bedding is in the Sleepers, and while I haven't ridden since it was installed, it gets great reviews from passengers
Hi Jim... will be coming through AUS heading east next Friday... Hope to actually see you if you are in town. I think you are going to the gathering??? Sent you a message in 'conversations.'

My expectations are very low regarding the TE... I've ordered kosher meals... anything to avoid the 'Flex Swill' as you refer to it... and don't plan to eat in the lounge area. My doctor has advised me to mingle as little as possible especially when folks are eating as food can be flying around in the air. Several of my friends have caught the dreaded disease and a few have died. So I am respecting it, have received my booster shot, and intend to wear a mask and goggles outside my room... I don't mind looking like a 'goggles goon' as I would never win a Mr. America contest anyway!

Not having one in the Eaglet consist makes Zero sense since they don't have to be Staffed
Hey Bob, I totally agree with your whole statement but this one. I do believe that if a SSL was restored to the TE, pretty much everyone would expect at least the cafe downstairs to be staffed. I think there would be just as much complaining if the SSL were on the TE and the food situation wasn’t any different.

Thinking that just about everyone on this forum wants the TE to be treated with more respect.

RE: The slenderizing emaciation of the Texas Eagle... Apparently it's not a question of equipment shortage... as they were able to replace the Empire Builder that derailed ... with a new consist... within three days.

Does anyone know on this forum know the 'back story' behind the stoic stark degrading of service??? Especially when the demand for ridership is pushing up prices and customers are paying much more for way less service???

Yup Jim... I know this is your hometown train... I am looking forward to seeing you next Friday in AUS as I ride up in the degraded stub consist... but let's not waste time talking about the TE Blues... To see an AU'er for the first time will be special for me. As rare as the rainbow in my back yard!

An invite for you to come to the Oregon Coast... you'd arrive in EUG on the still stellar Coast Starlight... I'll pick you up and bring you out to the coast. It's mighty fine in these parts 😇 😇 😇

1633226836756.png

1633226933576.png

Thinking that just about everyone on this forum wants the TE to be treated with more respect.

RE: The slenderizing emaciation of the Texas Eagle... Apparently it's not a question of equipment shortage... as they were able to replace the Empire Builder that derailed ... with a new consist... within three days.

Does anyone know on this forum know the 'back story' behind the stoic stark degrading of service??? Especially when the demand for ridership is pushing up prices and customers are paying much more for way less service???

Yup Jim... I know this is your hometown train... I am looking forward to seeing you next Friday in AUS as I ride up in the degraded stub consist... but let's not waste time talking about the TE Blues... To see an AU'er for the first time will be special for me. As rare as the rainbow in my back yard!

An invite for you to come to the Oregon Coast... you'd arrive in EUG on the still stellar Coast Starlight... I'll pick you up and bring you out to the coast. It's mighty fine in these parts 😇 😇 😇

View attachment 24697

View attachment 24698
Love Oregon, it's been to long since I was there!

See you Friday, enjoy your trip on the Sunset Ltd part of the route, and hopefully the New Bedding makes for good sleeping and you get one of the good crews on the Eaglet, there are good ones!

And I've seen reports that say that Traditional Dining is returning to the Eagle, hope it's soon along with a Sightseer Lounge and another Sleeper!

Last edited:
Back