Whats the Lake Shore Summer consist like in 2003?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P40Power

OBS Chief
I was wondering what the peak season Lake Shore Consist is like this year. Last year it seemed like a very small consist usually for such a busy season. The New York would have 3 Amfleet IIs and 2 Viewliners on the occasions I saw it at Albany. The Boston section is always pretty much a constant. Two Amfleet IIs and a Viewliner (though sometime the Viewliner is MIA and an Amfleet II could be substitued by an Amfleet I or something) along with an Amfleet I cafe. With 5 Amfleet II coaches that only gives you a coach capacity of 300 people. Back in 1997 The combined Lake Shore Limited usually had a total of 7 Amfleet II coaches with a capacity of 420. Now in 97 the longer trains used to sell out on a regular basis. They still had the same number of Viewliners back then - 3, so that seems to be a constant. If there was the same kind of demand for the LSL last year as there was in 97, the trains must have sold out extremely quickly. This year since Gunn has seemed to get more cars back out on the rails, I wonder if the peak capacity for the LSL and other trains has increased due to that? Isnt it true though that a train needs an extra attendent for each additional car? If thats the case, then the Lake Shore Limited was probably scaled back in the peak season just so more attendents arent needed. But I still think that a train should be as accomidating with as much cars and seats as possible so the train can take advantage of the increased revenue! The Texas Eagle seems to be suffering from a lack of capacity as well, but thats a different topic Ive already tuched on. Conditions must also be tight on other trains that were scaled back such as the City of New Orleans, and I think the Sunset Limited was well.

P40,

I haven't heard anything specific about the LSL in terms of capcity, but I'll be riding it come July 16th so I'll let you know then what it's like. :)

I just got off the Lake Shore Limited in Chicago earlier this week after taking it from New York City. The New York section had 3 Amfleet II coaches, 2 Viewliner sleepers, and a diner. The Boston section (added in Albany) had 2 Amfleet II coaches, 1 Viewliner sleeper, and an Amfleet cafe with a glass partition sporting the seal of the state of New York (I think). I was in one of the New York sleepers, and got a chance to walk the full length of the drain down to the cafe after Albany, and noted the coaches to be almost completely full (something like 70% full). The New York sleepers were not full, but all the rooms were used at some time during the trip to Chicago by people getting on and off along the trip.

Amfleet cafe with glass partition . . . hmm thats gotta be one of those rebuilt Amfleet II lounges, those are quite rare on the LSL lately. Mostly an Amcafe has been showing up lately. With a state of New York seal it is most likely the Albany Club. Im still suprised with just the three New York cars. Maybe they add more for the weekends?

AlanB said:
P40,
I haven't heard anything specific about the LSL in terms of capcity, but I'll be riding it come July 16th so I'll let you know then what it's like.   :)
Enjoy your trip. :) :D

P40Power said:
Amfleet cafe with glass partition . . . hmm thats gotta be one of those rebuilt Amfleet II lounges, those are quite rare on the LSL lately.  Mostly an Amcafe has been showing up lately.  With a state of New York seal it is most likely the Albany Club.  Im still suprised with just the three New York cars.  Maybe they add more for the weekends?
Could be "New York Club" too.

ELNewbie here,

AW, I was probably on that westbound LSL. On Monday, the cafe had the glass partition, and the NY section didn't have a cafe, just the diner.

Anyway, I was wondering if there's a place online where I can see the different types of cars/engines? I thought I could find an etching or marking on each in Albany, but apparently the best way to ID is by paint scheme?

Well whatever club it was, It sure beats having an old beat up Amcafe with no tables on the 1000+ mile journey from Boston to Chicago!

Thanks for everyone's help as always. A few weeks back I picked up a racing scanner that works great on the train thanks to the tips provided here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back