What's Up with 98 (2/16)?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottRu

Service Attendant
I see the Meteor is running over 5 hours late, which is slow even for that train. Left Florence on time. I suspect it is running into that terrible line of weather going through middle America. Anyone have any real info?

Wife and I came down from Boston (just in time!) on Thursday. The local lost an engine, and we barely connected with 97 in NYC (either they held the train or we were lucky they were delayed). Rodney was our SCA and he, as usual, was wonderful.

Are you asking about today's (2/17) 98 (Northbound Silver Meteor)? It is currently running pretty much on time. Yesterday's (2/16) Southbound Silver Meteor, train 97, is running very late - about 9 hours currently.

Edit, it looks like you are referring to yesterday's (2/16) train 98.

Last edited by a moderator:
98 of the 16th lost 5 hours between Fayetteville and Richmond. I'm 99% sure it's because of winter weather... most likely frozen switches or local AC power outages that shut off signals and road crossings. 97 of the 16th, probably the same story. Amounts and types of precipitation vary greatly across small distances, but Fayetteville and points north in NC got over a half inch of ice pellets; points south of Fayetteville got a quarter inch of freezing rain.

As we say in the south, snow is one thing but sleet and freezing rain is something else. Even the Yankees' cars go in the ditch on days like yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
2/16 #97 heroically late -14 hours and not to Miami yet. The winter weather must be playing havoc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back