What's up with the Crescent

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DennisInGeorgia

Train Attendant
Looks like #20 left Birmingham northbound relatively on time today, but now there's a Service Disruption posted. As usual, there's not further information provided, but has anyone else heard what's happened between Birmingham and Atlanta?

Dennis in Atlanta

so it's another fregiht derailment! Why did this train derail? Why does nobody investigate? The news does not report any investigation!
So because North Georgia News's 43 word article didn't say investigation it won't happen? Come on, you can't be serious.
I actually was pretty sure that investigations happen, the problem is that I've never seen news reports about freight derailments.

so it's another fregiht derailment! Why did this train derail? Why does nobody investigate? The news does not report any investigation!
So because North Georgia News's 43 word article didn't say investigation it won't happen? Come on, you can't be serious.
I actually was pretty sure that investigations happen, the problem is that I've never seen news reports about freight derailments.
TrainOrders says "Looks like the Crescent will detour Atlanta-Spartanburg via CSX and NS." "Been a long time since a passenger train ran over the ex-SAL. Photographers, start your engines."

I was going to be on #20 tonight; need to fly now out early tomorrow to DC since I have a few NEC reservations for some joy riding. Ah well....

Because unless it the train blows up and/or kills someone, most newspapers don't consider it newsworthy. They're not going to sell papers by reporting a derailment, so they don't care.

Because unless it the train blows up and/or kills someone, most newspapers don't consider it newsworthy. They're not going to sell papers by reporting a derailment, so they don't care.
There will always be some form of investigation. Very seldom will it rise to the point of an NTSB investigation. Even if relatively minor at the least the railroad company will do its own to determine fault and what should be done.

There will always be some form of investigation. Very seldom will it rise to the point of an NTSB investigation. Even if relatively minor at the least the railroad company will do its own to determine fault and what should be done.
Actually IIRC, the RR is required by the FRA to conduct an investigation no matter what. And the RR is required to report the accident to the FRA. Besides, it's just a good general practice to investigate simply because you may well learn something that prevents the next accident.

However, all of that remains boring to the newspapers. There is no sensationalism in those reports so they don't care and often don't bother to report anything, unless as I said, it blew up or people died.

However, all of that remains boring to the newspapers. There is no sensationalism in those reports so they don't care and often don't bother to report anything, unless as I said, it blew up or people died.
Right. They also do not report every fender bender and every fall from short ladders for similar reasons too.

An Operation Lifesaver special train going south passed the site of the derailment less than 30 minutes before it occurred and in fact probably passed the freight train in question in the hole.

Nothing out of the ordinary for this derailment. No fatalities or injuries, no hazmat release, no fire. Reportedly one track is already open through the wreck site.

Preliminary report is that NS 118 had a car pick a switch in the crossover at Mt' Airy, GA and pile up taking a signal bridge down in the process.

Train carrying propane derails in Gaston County [NC], no one hurt

CRAMERTON, NC (WBTV) -

Gaston County EMS, HAZMAT, and Norfolk Southern crews responded to the freight train derailment along 8th Avenue in Cramerton at about 4:30pm [Monday].

Norfolk Southern told WBTV the train had three locomotives and 121 cars. A company spokesperson said 19 cars derailed and four of them were tankers carrying liquefied petroleum (LP) gas, commonly known as propane. None of the tankers are leaking.

Norfolk Southern said the train was headed from Linwood to Macon, Georgia.

There is no word yet why the train derailed.

Representatives with Amtrak said one track is expected to be re-opened at the derailment site, between. 4 and 4:30 AM EST [Tuesday].

As a result, Train 19 will be held at Greenville and Train 20 will hold at Charlotte, upon their arrivals at those respective stations, until Norfolk Southern can re-open the affected track.

This is the 2nd derailment in about a week. Hopefully Ns has it together for my ride on 20 departing new orleans on Sunday.
So you would not drive a highway that had two accidents within the last week? Same logic. Don't worry about it.
Many auto accidents are caused by driver error or DUI, which are far less common on trains due to higher training and having a dispatcher.

These rail derailments are extremly annoying, too many derailments and collisions.

This is the 2nd derailment in about a week. Hopefully Ns has it together for my ride on 20 departing new orleans on Sunday.
So you would not drive a highway that had two accidents within the last week? Same logic. Don't worry about it.
I'm booked on 20 with full intent to travel. Never implied that I felt unsafe. I have a connection to 91 in washington, dc. I would like to make it. If not I'll be in coach on the meteor. Not a crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back