What's wrong with being a railfan???

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing that I've noticed is that many of the Conductors and Engineers are railfans, as they are very heavily involved in the managment and operation of the train. Many are very active in historical societies and have large collections of memorobillia at home. I personally do not hide the fact that I am a railfan, but then again I do assist in boarding passengers and loading luggage into the baggage room. But down here in Florida we are much more lax on security than in the northeast as we pass through mainly cattle farms and ranches. So in my opinon how you show your railfan should depend on where you are, and the state of security at the time.

I'm extremely careful in the Northeast, especially after 9-11. As much as I would like to help out on an Acela Regional or something, the speeds of up to 125mph, the passing through major cities, and up to 400 passengers on a single train, the operations should be left to the crew.

I use my scanner on The Silver Meteor this year and no one gave me any problems about it, in fact one conductor on the Silver Star even made sure I had the right frequency. Alan, even out here in New Jersey I here some of the NYPD transmissions when I scan the rail frequencies. I really don't help out nor am I asked to help out on the train (though I'd gladly help if asked). I think the "secret shopper" would be a good concept in improving service, just give me even a standard sleeper and I'll be happy. I think though wait till a few weeks before, and allow as much revenue space as possible to fill up the train.

AlanB said:
tp49 said:
Some states and municipalities do limit or restrict the use of radio scanners.  Sec. 397 of the New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law strictly prohibits scanners from motor vehicles unless you have the permission of the governing body of the municipality you are in unless you are licensed by the FCC to use such equipment.  For brevity I am leaving the statute's text out but could post it if necessary.
TP49,

While I haven't gone looking for the actual statute that you mention, two different people with Ham licenses have assured me that the NY law is somewhat narrow in its focus. They have indicated to me that it’s only illegal to be eavesdropping on Fire and Police bands while in your car, unless you have a hack license or some special exemption. So in theory I could use my scanner to listen in on the trains while in the car, provided that I have no police or fire frequencies entered in my scanner. I suppose that it could still lead to some interesting discussions trying to convince a police officer that I wasn’t scanning their bands.

Even worse in my case here in NY, I couldn’t prove that I don’t have a police band in my scanner. I’ve got all 96 of the AAR frequencies programmed into my scanner. The NYC Transit police used to be part of the MTA and therefore used an AAR frequency. When they were merged into the NYPD several years ago, it seems that the NYPD kept using that frequency. So if I scan all 96 AAR freqs, I can pick up police broadcasts on at least 2 of the AAR frequencies.
I think the statute prohibiting the use of scanners is aimed primarily at those engaged in criminal enterprises. These people would use scanners to see what law enforcement agencies are doing to thwart their crimes.

Many airlines offer as part of their audio feed on the in-flight entertainment systems a channel devoted exclusively to cockpit communications with the air traffic controllers. Many aviation enthusiasts that I know listen to this channel exclusively while flying.

No Amtrak train crew member has the right to tell any passenger that they cannot listen to the train crews' radio transmissions with the aid of a scanner.

Guest said:
AlanB said:
tp49 said:
Some states and municipalities do limit or restrict the use of radio scanners.  Sec. 397 of the New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law strictly prohibits scanners from motor vehicles unless you have the permission of the governing body of the municipality you are in unless you are licensed by the FCC to use such equipment.  For brevity I am leaving the statute's text out but could post it if necessary.
TP49,

While I haven't gone looking for the actual statute that you mention, two different people with Ham licenses have assured me that the NY law is somewhat narrow in its focus. They have indicated to me that it’s only illegal to be eavesdropping on Fire and Police bands while in your car, unless you have a hack license or some special exemption. So in theory I could use my scanner to listen in on the trains while in the car, provided that I have no police or fire frequencies entered in my scanner. I suppose that it could still lead to some interesting discussions trying to convince a police officer that I wasn’t scanning their bands.

Even worse in my case here in NY, I couldn’t prove that I don’t have a police band in my scanner. I’ve got all 96 of the AAR frequencies programmed into my scanner. The NYC Transit police used to be part of the MTA and therefore used an AAR frequency. When they were merged into the NYPD several years ago, it seems that the NYPD kept using that frequency. So if I scan all 96 AAR freqs, I can pick up police broadcasts on at least 2 of the AAR frequencies.
I think the statute prohibiting the use of scanners is aimed primarily at those engaged in criminal enterprises. These people would use scanners to see what law enforcement agencies are doing to thwart their crimes.

Many airlines offer as part of their audio feed on the in-flight entertainment systems a channel devoted exclusively to cockpit communications with the air traffic controllers. Many aviation enthusiasts that I know listen to this channel exclusively while flying.

No Amtrak train crew member has the right to tell any passenger that they cannot listen to the train crews' radio transmissions with the aid of a scanner.
My post. I forgot to sign in, again.

From what I have read and discussed with friends who are prosecutors is that the true intent of the statute is to thwart criminals listening to police broadcasts in order to better their chances of escape, and to keep people away from the scenes of incidents so there might not be any interference with rescue or police operations.

So in theory I could use my scanner to listen in on the trains while in the car, provided that I have no police or fire frequencies entered in my scanner. I suppose that it could still lead to some interesting discussions trying to convince a police officer that I wasn’t scanning their bands.
Even worse in my case here in NY, I couldn’t prove that I don’t have a police band in my scanner. I’ve got all 96 of the AAR frequencies programmed into my scanner. The NYC Transit police used to be part of the MTA and therefore used an AAR frequency.
If memory serves me right it is the Transit Bureau's Brooklyn base and one borough's mobile radios that use a frequency in the 100 mhz range. I'm going from memory and my scanner guide for that area of the country is at my parents house in NY. I also believe that LIRR PD also uses an AAR freq.

NYPD precincts broadcast in the 400mhz range. I would also venture to guess that the average patrolman has no clue as to what frequency they broadcast on with the exception of the department issued channel number.

I remember this subject coming up with a friend of mine while in college in another state because we used to railfan on the weekends and use a scanner in his car.

As to the airlines that offer the inflight cockpit audio, United is the only one that I know of and use of it is up to the pilot's discretion. Some will use it some will not. However, when I fly with them I always ask if they'll be using channel 10 and if they are I listen away. :) It's the only reason to fly United.

Since I think it was brought up before I was wondering if a railfan was assisting a train crew by preforming some type of manual labor and was injured would the railroad be liable and thus have to pay the medical costs or do they make people sign a waiver disclaiming the railroad from any liability in that regard? I think it's the law student in me coming out.

If a non-railfan rides a train, and you ask about the experience later, the only thing that he can tell you is that he rode a train.

If a non-bus-enthusiast rides a bus, and you ask about the experience later, the only thing he can tell you is that he rode a bus.

On the other hand, if a non-aviation-enthusiast flies on an airplane, and you ask about the experience later, he will undoubtedly be able to tell you the make and model of the airplane he flew on. He might even remember the tail number and a host of other interesting information about the flight.

What's happening here? Don't trains and buses count?

Not busses :) Just kidding. All of my Greyhound experiences have been terrible eventhough I've only had four. I think the Trailways merger hurt the dog greatly. I've also had terrible flight experiences. Speaking only for myself (a huge transportation in general buff) I remember details from all of my trips but the ones with bad service are the ones I remember the most.

tp49 said:
Since I think it was brought up before I was wondering if a railfan was assisting a train crew by preforming some type of manual labor and was injured would the railroad be liable and thus have to pay the medical costs or do they make people sign a waiver disclaiming the railroad from any liability in that regard? I think it's the law student in me coming out.
I would suspect that they would still be liable. In fact I doubt very much that Battalion signed such a waiver, even if the crew had such a waiver with them which is unlikely. Mind you that even if Battalion signed a waiver, it wouldn't be legally binding since he's still a minor.

Now the other side of this coin is, what would happen if while the railfan was assisting the train crew he/she injured another passenger? Now I think that really opens Pandora's box.

Back