When are fewest points needed?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferroequinologist

Lead Service Attendant
I'm trying to figure out when  fewest AGR are needed for a trip Washington-Chicago-LA (or possibly Emeryville).  So far it seems Saturdays require fewest points for Washington-Chicago.  Are there any patterns?  Thanks 

There are no weekday-related patterns to speak of. Amtrak uses dynamic pricing where any given itinerary has five possible buckets (fares). Depending on the remaining availability, season, and remaining time until departure, the fare will go to any one of those buckets. The ratio of points to dollars is about 34.5 : 1, and does not take into account passenger discounts (such as Senior or NARP).

Use Amsnag to find the cheapest dates and to get a sense of the different buckets. Once it brings up all the fares, click on the date of travel you want or are interested in, and it will take you to Amtrak.com. Then just switch the price listing from cash to points and you should be all set. :)

It’s all about what the current fare bucket is for whichever accommodation you’re looking for, which is solely determined by load factor for the particular accommodation. Points are used at a rate very close to 34 points per dollar. So now it’s just finding whichever day has the cheapest fare, for which there isn’t much of a pattern, it’s only load based. I would book as far out as possible and then keep watching the fare. Depending on the train, accommodation, and current load factor, they might drop the price at the 5 month mark. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s all about what the current fare bucket is for whichever accommodation you’re looking for, which is solely determined by load factor for the particular accommodation. Points are used at a rate very close to 34 points per dollar. So now it’s just finding whichever day has the cheapest fare, for which there isn’t much of a pattern, it’s only load based. I would book as far out as possible and then keep watching the fare. Depending on the train, accommodation, and current load factor, they might drop the price at the 5 month mark. 
It seems like whether or not the “five month rule” applies is just based on the route, and not the load factor on that day or the particular accommodation. From what I’ve seen, it generally applies for eastern trains, and doesn’t apply for western trains. The best way to test this out on whatever route you will be taking is to just look at fares more than and less than five months out. If there seems to be a notable disparity, one can conclude that the “rule” applies.

It seems like whether or not the “five month rule” applies is just based on the route, and not the load factor on that day or the particular accommodation. From what I’ve seen, it generally applies for eastern trains, and doesn’t apply for western trains. The best way to test this out on whatever route you will be taking is to just look at fares more than and less than five months out. If there seems to be a notable disparity, one can conclude that the “rule” applies.
Well sort of, definitely on a certain route and accommodation (the CZ and SWC offer early low bucket roomettes but not bedrooms). I’ve been watching the SWC and CZ bedrooms, and especially on the SWC there are very few low bucket bedrooms available in June or July. Most days are at a higher bucket due to good sales and it just doesn’t get moved. 

For instance today’s 5 month mark is July 7. Bedrooms on the SWC are low bucket +2 $1368. Where as the TE is low bucket at $875, and the CZ actually dropped to low bucket at $861. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back