When do those 40k bonus points show up?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I applied for the card, got approved, and spent my $2500 on day one.

Unfortunately...my first billing cycle / closing date has come and gone, and still no sign of the 40k signup bonus.

It is my fault for the bad timing, but was hoping to use this to book the one and only ($750) train trip I needed to take in a few weeks.

Does anyone have insight into the process of the BoA points getting posted?

Yes, I’ve got that - which makes perfect sense as a disclaimer, but was hoping that someone might know the mechanics of how that works. IE does boa send Amtrak a roll up of spend on the 15th of every month, do “regular” card points post immediately following the closing date on a statement etc.

My account create had a few hiccups and got conflicting answers from Amtrak and BoA when I tried to get details.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 40K points 'shows' up at irregular intervals just like the 1K TQPs for $5K spending does...3-8 weeks AFTER the credit card closing date that reached that goal. And to really screw things up, it's backdated to when it should have been awarded and in chronological order on the transaction history, so you unless you see the by-that-time-unexpected 1K jump in TQPs, you won't know you got them. So when you see the 40K point jump, you'll have to scroll down some distance to see the the 'should have posted on' date.

For what it's worth, I signed up for the 40K point deal as well as my 'regular' AGR card kept tripping fraud alerts. So far, so good. I also passed the $2,500 spending requirement too, so maybe by Thanksgiving, I'll get the 40K points.

This is certainly ironic. My points just showed up. Not there at 8 am est, there by 11 am est.

Based on that, I’d hazard a guess that boa does send a daily update to Amtrak rewards, since the points posted one day AFTER the closing date on my statement.

Apparently my expectations are always one day off with this program. Lol.

Hopefully my impatience helps someone in the future - I literally spent $2500 the day I got the card, and the points were awarded about 32 days later - the day after my first "closing" date.

Last edited:
Based on your reply above, Flotsam, I decided to check my account today. The 40K points showed up! 24 or maybe 48 hours after billing closed. I am absolutely amazed! I now have an insane number of points to 'spend'.

Mine showed up very quickly, shortly after the statement close date. I was pleasantly surprised.

Yes, BoA points always show up the date your statement is issued which is usually the next business day after the statement closing date. The one exception is the 1K TQP points for spending 5K. That is done on a specific day of the month - there was one occasion I actually earned two of those 1K batches at once when I had a couple expensive things I could put on the card and immediately pay. Thanks to my card along with my travel, I have earned select plus status two years in a row.

I enquired into the TQP business, and apparently the specific day of the month is on a six-week (!!!) cycle. I got unlucky once and did the qualifying spending for two batches (a big $10K bill) the *day after* that day in the cycle. Had to wait quite a while to see them show up at AGR.

Back