When do we eat?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazy Z

Service Attendant
Wondering if there is a set time for meals for sleeper pax? Not sure what to plan while not on the train, and of course, better to eat there if paid for already, than eat elsewhere!

For dinner, the LSA will come to your sleeper for reservations. Dinner is by reservation only. They will tell you what times are available, and you are free to choose which time works for you. In my experience, dinner can start as early as 5PM and run as late as 8:30-9PM. Lunch is also by reservation; it can run anywhere from 11:30 AM to 3PM. And breakfast is first come, first served; I've seen it begin as early as 6AM and run as late as 9:30 AM.

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
For dinner, the LSA will come to your sleeper for reservations. Dinner is by reservation only. They will tell you what times are available, and you are free to choose which time works for you. In my experience, dinner can start as early as 5PM and run as late as 8:30-9PM. Lunch is also by reservation; it can run anywhere from 11:30 AM to 3PM. And breakfast is first come, first served; I've seen it begin as early as 6AM and run as late as 9:30 AM.

lunch is not always by reservation.

Thank you, it does! So, if we board a train at 7:30pm, we can plan on dinner, or is it expected that you are there BEFORE to put in for your reservation?

Also, when ordering from the menu, can you make "requests" such as no mayo, this and that? Or is it more life "cafe" food and it comes out how they make it? I imagine they are used to picky people?
rolleyes.gif
For example, could my child order the kids breakfast without eggs, or do you just take the whole plate and not eat the eggs if you don't want them?

Sorry for the trivial questions, but eating is important!! :)

Thank you, it does! So, if we board a train at 7:30pm, we can plan on dinner, or is it expected that you are there BEFORE to put in for your reservation?

Also, when ordering from the menu, can you make "requests" such as no mayo, this and that? Or is it more life "cafe" food and it comes out how they make it? I imagine they are used to picky people?
rolleyes.gif
For example, could my child order the kids breakfast without eggs, or do you just take the whole plate and not eat the eggs if you don't want them?

Sorry for the trivial questions, but eating is important!! :)
Generally if you are boarding during supper time, your Sleeping Car Attendant will have already made a Diner res for you. And you can usually "customize" your meal within reason without too much trouble. That all depends on the staff and how busy the Diner is and what's left in the larder :)

Using an example of a burger, it is served with the roll, burger, (IIRC) lettuce, and tomato. On the table are packets of salt, pepper, ketchup, mustard and mayo for you to add yourself!
cool.gif

And you can order any item on the menu and it also includes desert for lunch and dinner. Breakfast also includes a side of meat (bacon or sausage) if desired! The only thing not included are alcoholic beverages/

And you can order any item on the menu and it also includes desert for lunch and dinner. Breakfast also includes a side of meat (bacon or sausage) if desired! The only thing not included are alcoholic beverages/
Does the sleeping accommodation fare include soda or juice or something such to drink outside the three meal times? I have read they have juice in the sleeper cars (?), but if someone wants soda is that included?

Does the sleeping accommodation fare include soda or juice or something such to drink outside the three meal times? I have read they have juice in the sleeper cars (?), but if someone wants soda is that included?
Juice, Coffe and Bottled Water along with Ice are provided in the Sleepers by the SCA! Amtrak used to have the small sodas in sleepers, but they were cut as part of the Bean Counter attack @ 60 Mass that was a result of politicians trying to micro-manage Amtrak!

Sodas are for sale in the Cafe and Diner for $1.75,(also Alcohol @ Airport prices! :rolleyes: ) and are Pepsi products only, no Coke! :angry2:

Lots of us take our own supply of sodas of choice and adult beverages onto the Train since you are permitted to have them in the sleepers, just no Alcohol in Coach!

I have a question. If the CZ leaves Emeryville at 9:10AM, will they serve breakfast?

If we board at 8:29pm on the Coast Starlight, what is the possibility of still having dinner? It would be good to know as if we don't eat dinner before we board we may be mighty hungry by morning. Any advice?

If we board at 8:29pm on the Coast Starlight, what is the possibility of still having dinner? It would be good to know as if we don't eat dinner before we board we may be mighty hungry by morning. Any advice?
I would say no! If the CS is in time, maybe (and that's a maybe maybe). But if the CS is running late, then no. I would enjoy dinner before you board!
happy.gif

If you are in a sleeper you might be offered dinner, as your SCA might have made reservations for you. If you are in coach I'd say there is no possibility of getting dinner once aboard.

I'd not chance it and eat before boarding.

My guess is that if you eat beforehand you will be offered dinner aboard, but if you wait, you won't. :blink:

I have a related query.

I am catching the California Zephyr in a couple of weeks.

Departure from CHI is at 2pm.

Will lunch still be served?

My question is if we arrive in STL at 7:20 am, would we have time to eat breakfast before needing to get off?

Ok, since everyone's asking and my trip is now less than 9 weeks away, I'll ask my dining times questions (was going to wait till closer to departure).

CL (29) - end-to-end (WAS-CHI).

Dinner at/after departure (4:05)?

Breakfast before arrival(8:45)?

CZ - my question on that one (lunch out of CHI) was just answered above.

Thanks!

Last November, I boarded the northbound CS at San Jose. When I made my reservation, the agent told me that as long as we boarded by 9pm they were required to serve me dinner.

My question is if we arrive in STL at 7:20 am, would we have time to eat breakfast before needing to get off?
Generally #22 is pretty close to on-time into STL, but if it is running late the Diner (CCC)should open at 6:30AM for Breakfast! There is usually a long dwell time in STL since its a Service stop, crew change point etc. Ive eaten Breakfast many times before getting to the Station and also after arrival into the Station, whether I was deboarding or going on to CHI! Just hope you don't get Miss Polly, the Drama Queen, for your waitperson! :help:

Last November, I boarded the northbound CS at San Jose. When I made my reservation, the agent told me that as long as we boarded by 9pm they were required to serve me dinner.
You must have been in a sleeper. In coach I would not expect dinner, as the diner is usually booked solid by 8:30.

Also note that the Pacific Parlour Car, which is only available to sleeping car passengers, serves dinner until 8:30, so I think a scheduled boarding time of 8:29 would be cutting it too close for that experience that night.

Ok, since everyone's asking and my trip is now less than 9 weeks away, I'll ask my dining times questions (was going to wait till closer to departure).

Thanks!
Yes, they serve both dinner and breakfast on #29.

Count on it being an 'earlier' breakfast since they like to have a chance to start cleaning up before arriving in CHI. Offhand I can't remember the exact hours, but I'd recommend going to the diner about 6:30 or so, so you don't feel rushed through breakfast, and there is usually not a waiting list at that hour.

Thanks!
Dinner is within the 5PM to 9PM time frame. And breakfast starts at the 6-6:30 timeframe also. Not sure when breakfast ends if the CS is on time, though I'd guess around 7:30 to 8.

When I was on the CL(29) last week, breakfast westbound started at 6:00 am (Eastern Time)and final call was just before South Bend, IN. CL has a full diner now, so it does have capacity to serve the whole train, as compared to the days of a CCC car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back