When does billing clear/fare decreases?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
I have a trip next April and made reservations 2 days ago. It shows at my bank as pending. How long does it take for Amtrak to clear it? I assume I am charged immediately. Has anyone ever seen the fair go down prior to the trip?

I have a trip next April and made reservations 2 days ago. It shows at my bank as pending. How long does it take for Amtrak to clear it? I assume I am charged immediately. Has anyone ever seen the fair go down prior to the trip?
Yes, and when that happens you just call back and request to be moved to the lower fare, specially in a no change fee regime like exists now, and usually they will do it, if the agent knows his rear end from his front end that is. ;)

I am going on a roundtrip from SAC to CHI next April. I have already reserved and paid for a bedroom. What is the chance that Amtrak will lower fares and give me a refund?

From what I have seen, it is more likely that Bedrooms will sell out than go down in price for a travel date in April. I think you were wise to purchase early.

I purchased a bedroom 4 months ago for our upcoming trip from CHI-LAX and back at the end of Sept. and checked back 4 or 5 times a week. The (high!) price never came down--it only went up. I think with COVID more people are wanting a bedroom or roomette on long distance trains. You aren't required to wear a mask if you are in your room and your door is closed. That's a big selling point for me, at least. Not sure if the mask rule will be in effect next April of course, but will be for for some time yet, I think--guessing it will probably be through the winter at a minimum. But still worth checking periodically for a price decrease on your route.

Followup: Looks like the public transportation mask mandate is currently extended to Jan. 18, 2022.

And I guess technically if you are supposed to wear your mask in your roomette or bedroom (or restroom/shower which I haven't seen addressed) how could that ever be monitored if you have your curtains closed? You can simply put your mask on if someone knocks on your door.

Last edited:
Followup: Looks like the public transportation mandate is currently extended to Jan. 18, 2022.

And I guess technically if you are supposed to wear your mask in your roomette or bedroom (or restroom/shower which I haven't seen addressed) how could that ever be monitored if you have your curtains closed? You can simply put your mask on if someone knocks on your door.
I believe that is correct. However, on three LD trains in the past month, we were un-masked in our rooms and left the door/curtain open. No one said anything although we would have complied if something was said. YMMV. Mask on of course walking to the diner until we were seated.

Back