When Texas Eagle leaves before Sunset arrives

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frequentflyer

Conductor
Bravo to Amtrak for not holding 22 this morning out of San Antonio. The TE probably picked up the two Superliners there as protect units and left on time for Chicago. The Sunset was stuck at Tucson for three hours because of an engine issue (the Tucson rail cam picked up the sad situation), and lost more time heading east. When the TE leaves before the SL arrives at SAT, are there usually one or two motorcoaches to take the pax north? Do certain pax get off at El Paso and bused or even flown (there was a time Amtrak put them on Southwest)?

Amtrak is literally running the wheels of the Genesis locomotive. I believe Amtrak has operated the Genesis longer than they ran the F40s. And to think at the time, many doubted the Genesis was a tough locomotive.

We were three hours late in January on 422. 22 was held for us. Several years ago on 422 we arrived nine hours late at 4PM. All kinds of problems. Amtrak put us up overnight,gave us a food voucher and put us up on the next morning's 22. I got upgraded to a bedroom. No complaints.

With 21 and 22 running only three days a week,I wonder what Amtrak would do in the same situation. Give us 2,possibly 3 free nights? Wonder if this has happened on any two or three day layover since the thrice weekly schedule took effect last October?

If 2/422 is significantly late before El Paso, they will bus connecting passenger from there to Fort Worth. But if it looses time after El Paso, they have to get more creative. They can bus local pax just up I-35. Another bus can easily get to Dallas by cutting the corner, and maybe even get to Longview. It just depends how late its looking to be into SAS.

Pre Covid, I met different people a couple times bused from El Paso to San Antonio because the SL was three hours late and they anticipated losing even more with freight congestion. One time, I ate with a couple that was bused to FT Worth from El Paso, they were very unhappy.

Pre Covid, I met different people a couple times bused from El Paso to San Antonio because the SL was three hours late and they anticipated losing even more with freight congestion. One time, I ate with a couple that was bused to FT Worth from El Paso, they were very unhappy.
I've experienced this several times while riding #2, and in 2 instances we were bused to Ft Worth to catch #22/#422.

The other times we were bused from El Paso to San Antonio and beat #2 by several hours.

Those going on East of San Antonio of course stayed on the Late #2.

Those catching #22/#422 in San Antonio and points North were boarded on the Sleeper and/or Coach that is kept in SA.

Back