When traveling in a bedroom, do you have your SCA fold up the bed each morning?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There have been several recent threads regarding personal preferences when traveling in a bedroom. Here’s one that we haven’t yet seen: Do you have your SCA fold up the bed each morning?

For our last few trips, we’ve just left the bed set up until it had to be made prior to arriving at our destination. Our SCA’s loved this arrangement since it made their work load a little easier. Also, by leaving the bed set up, we could use the top bunk as a place to store our carry-on items.

What is your preference regarding making the bed?

Eric & Pat

I travel alone in roomettes.
On superliners I sleep on the bottom bed. In the morning I’ll fold the mattress/sheets onto one of the seats and put the seats into chair position then let the SCA finish the job (put the mattress on the top bunk) at his/her convenience.
On Viewliners I sleep in the top bunk and let the SCA take care of it, again at their convenience.

We leave the upper bunk "down" the entire trip and the couch in the sitting position the entire trip. My wife sleeps there just fine.
We don't like losing the floor space when the couch is in the bed position.
We communicate that to the SCA and pretty much handle it all ourselves.

We always let the SCA handle it
  1. I'm too old to risk injuring my back if I pull or push too hard.
  2. I worry about hurting a finger or a hand and thus causing problems for Amtrak because I didn't leave it to the trained pros to do it.
  3. It's not worth doing it if something goes wrong and I get blamed or if I get hurt and ruin my vacation.
  4. She won't let me do it because of #1 - #3! And that overrides everything.

I always have the SCA do it. As mentioned above I'm too old to risk doing it myself and I feel I may do something wrong and injure myself. I always use roomettes. Sometimes I'll just leave the bed down during the day.

I almost always travel in a bedroom on western trains. I seem to recall only a couple of times that I asked the SCA to keep the bed down during the second day. I had a head cold on my return trip from the Bay Area Gathering (as did quite a few of us) and wanted the bed available. I think there was one other time, but cannot remember the circumstances. I always have the SCA handle putting the bed up and down. The only thing I think I am capable of doing, by myself, is turning the mattress so my feet face the window. (I, also, do not want to hurt myself)

I always have the SCA do everything, except in a Viewliner roomette, where I have the SCA set up the top berth for me, and I'll move it up and down as needed for headroom if I want to use the seats or dress in the morning. I've never actually traveled more than one night, so I'm fine with them making up the room while I'm at breakfast so I can sit during the remainder of my trip.

I prepare my own room for sleeping when I want to. In the morning I strip the sheet and fold them up, and place the mattress back. The SCA sometimes makes a big deal that they must be the ones, others do not. Either way I do it myself. Other than the first solo trip in a sleeper, when I had no clue how to do it. Also when traveling on a Viewliner, I pull the seat backs off the wall to give me the maximum space for my 6’6” body to squeeze into the 6’2” compartment.

Dakota 400 above said it right! Plus, they expect a tip, and that's part of the job. I never asked them, they just always did it when we went to breakfast.

I’m kind of a mix. I guess it depends on timing and sometimes which train I’m on. On our latest trip, on the Empire Builder, we had the SCA take care of it. On the next leg, we had the SCA put the bed down, since I kind of wanted to see how he handled the new bedding. But I went ahead and put it up, mainly because the SCA is always so involved with food service and very busy. I will also say I’m a bit of a night-owl, so I’m usually in no rush to make the bed and always willing to do it myself.

I am also a mix. In the evening I want the SCA to make it up, they are better at getting the sheets on the thin top pad properly tucked.

In the mornings, I usually fold the pad/sheet assembly back onto 1/2 the bed, then raise one seat so I have a little floor space to get dressed in. I then leave the door and curtain open when I go to breakfast. The SCA almost always has the room fully back into day configuration when I get back from breakfast.

What level of strength does it take to put the bed down and up? My sleeper car attendants seem to want me to go to bed earlier than I want to, so I might prefer to do it myself, but am short and not strong. However, I do travel with my sister.

Back