Where are the sleeper cars on the west coast?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Looking at booking a train trip for the first time, my wife has mentioned several times now that she would love to take a train up the coast. Ideally we'd leave from the SF bay area (San Jose, San Francisco, Oakland) and travel to Portland (PDX) and I'd like to travel in a sleeper but no matter what dates or locations I put in it only ever shows 'Coach Seats', are there no sleeper cars on the west coast?

Thanks!

After you get the page where you can see the available itineraries (there's just one for OKJ->PDX), there are two radio buttons:

• 1 reserved coach seat
  • 1 lower level coach seat
Right below that is a blue button that says Buy Rooms.

Click on that, and it shows you 3 options:

• Superliner Roomette
  • Family Bedroom
  • Superliner Bedroom

Right....as traveler said...click on "Buy Rooms" which is right under the Coach pick. Here's a link for landing on dates that may be cheaper. I figure it will be about $1000 for two on the Coast Starlight with a roomette. As you probably know, this includes meals. Check out this link and plug in some dates.

http://biketrain.net/amsnag/amSnag.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I can't believe I missed that!

Thanks for the biketrain link Eric, I'll poke around on amsnag too.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you aren't already near San Francisco, planning your trip starting from LAUS is much better IMO because of more daylight hours and getting to run along the coast before turning inland at EMY. If you and your spouse join AGR and buy points under the current promotion you might be able to fenagle a better price. that's a great trip no matter where you start from :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back