WHERE ARE WE? - The Canadian Edition

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesontheroad

OBS Chief
Following on from last week's little brain teasers, once again it gives me pleasure to hi-jack a thread and pull it kicking and screaming across the border. We'll start with a pretty easy five. A harder 'pro' quiz may well follow next week :D

You identify the city, and province, and you'll get bonus points for telling me a ) if any of them is in a provincial capital and b ) what links all five of them (hint: it's not a train)

Good luck,

*j* :blink:

# 1

yx8wet.jpg

yx8we6.jpg

yx8weu.jpg

yx8wev.jpg

yx8wew.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'd give it a shot if I had a list of VIA Rail stations and addresses handy so I could verify my guesses.

#2 is Quebec, QC

#3 is Ottawa, ON

#4 is Niagara Falls, ON

As for the questions:

Halifax, Quebec, and Edmonton are provincial capitals. Ottawa is the national capital. I don't know what links them all.

I had a hunch, but Edmonton didn't fit the pattern.

Congratulations to our geography majors - all five stations correctly identified and the four provincial capitals spotted.

# 1 Halifax, NS

# 2 Québec, QC

# 3 Ottawa, ON

# 4 Niagara Falls, ON (with the 'Maple Leaf' pointing towards the border, just out of shot to the right?)

# 5 Edmonton, AB

Ottawa is of course the national capital (although with a population of 800,000 you could have fooled me) so the sixties planners went a bit overboard with a rather elegant modern station that seems to be almost as big as Ottawa airport. Shame there are no trans-continental services from this magnificent work of modernism.

Oh, and that was a bit a trick question about what links all of them...

(hint: it's not a train)
...because of course you cannot take a direct train between any of these stations :lol:

Until next time folks...

Ottawa is of course the national capital (although with a population of 800,000 you could have fooled me) so the sixties planners went a bit overboard with a rather elegant modern station that seems to be almost as big as Ottawa airport. Shame there are no trans-continental services from this magnificent work of modernism.
Actually Ottawa has a much grander station than the one you show in your photo above. Sadly that stub end station right downtown, and almost across the street from Parliment, no longer sees trains. The building built in the glorious tradition of many older RR stations still stands and is still used today, but again not for its original intended purpose.

Oh, and that was a bit a trick question about what links all of them...
...because of course you cannot take a direct train between any of these stations :lol:

Until next time folks...

So, is the answer then that nothing links them all, or that VIA links them all (but just not the same train)? Perhaps you've been to all of the stations?

What links them is that none of them are linked :rolleyes:

Although actually, yes, now that you mention it, I have been to all of them. I chose them for their aerial appearance, however.

*j*

Actually Ottawa has a much grander station than the one you show in your photo above. Sadly that stub end station right downtown, and almost across the street from Parliment, no longer sees trains. The building built in the glorious tradition of many older RR stations still stands and is still used today, but again not for its original intended purpose.
Here's a picture of the old station.

Government_Conference_Centre.jpg

The station now serves as the Government Conference Center. For anyone who's curious, more info can be found here.

Back