Where do you reside?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't ridden a route or train I didn't like yet. Love to kick back, read, drink a beer, talk to fellow travelers, eat in the diner--all that is unique to train travel.
Decided this week I might like to write a book about family rail travel...has it already been done?
Aloha

These two lines say it all, so what if someone already wrote a book, the library can alwas make room for one more. Welcome to the board.

Litte update here. On June 5th, 2006 I left for boot camp in Great Lakes IL. Did exactly 9 weeks and 1 day there, leaving on Aug 6th to report to my new duty station, Naval Nuclear Power Training Command in Charleston, SC. I have been in Charleston ever since. Im 21, single, have and undying love for Amtrak, The Miami Dolphins, and The Florida Marlins, and am working my ass off so that I can work my way up the enlisted ranks and make master chief one day.

Hi! Ohio represent! I'm Kim :) I am 24 (will be 25 in November- eek!). I am a 3rd grade teacher and love almost every minute of it, sometimes its a pain, though. Hubby and I will be taking our first Amtrk trip in June from CIN to KIS, fl. e got roomettes all the way there and are pretty psyched about all of it! Keep up the good posting, I love reading your stories!

Oh, and my labrador doggie Ginger says hi!

:) My family went to San Antonio, TX to see my son graduate from basic training, from the Air Force. We left Cleveland to Chicago and then on the San Antonio. I loved sleeping in the roomette, which I was on the bottom bunk, but my husband is 6 feet tall, and said he had trouble sleeping on the top bunk, because there wasnt enough room. There's a harness to hook up so you don't fall out of bed when the train is moving and he felt like he was still on the train 2 days later. The bottom bunk is very comfortable and very peaceful. I never had so much relaxation as I did on the train. I will definately do it again. The only problem with the Texas Eagle that I found a little annoying, is that in the Arkansas area, we had to stop a lot and for long periods of time for freight trains. Maybe someone out there had that same problem. If we can afford it, we will be getting a larger cabin, so my husband can sleep. :lol:

Hi! Ohio represent! I'm Kim :) I am 24 (will be 25 in November- eek!). I am a 3rd grade teacher and love almost every minute of it, sometimes its a pain, though. Hubby and I will be taking our first Amtrk trip in June from CIN to KIS, fl.
HMM. a teacher going to Kissame Fl. Is there a mouse in your future? Enjoy

Eric

Hey guys,

I'm 27 and from Buffalo, NY. Longtime Amtrak/Train fan. Taken a few trips and planning more. Haven't been out of NYS on train but hope to do that in a few years. I'm planning a trip (full bedroom) on the Empire Builder between Chicago and Seattle. Not sure which way I'm going to take.

Looking forward to my trip this coming weekend, Buffalo to Schenectady, NY and back for the Empire State Passengers Association Meeting.

Mike S.

I'm retired, live in Oroville, CA (near CIC Chico) and have been hooked on trains since very young. My dad was also a fan. My first solo trip was Los Angeles to Wyoming, with a couple of passenger cars stuck on a freight train. I was a cute kid traveling alone and was allowed to ride in the locomotive part way (!!!!).

Last year I figured out that it is easier to take my elderly mother on train trips than car trips.

And last month I convinced a friend who has a conference in Washington DC that I'd go with him and we'd take the train. So we are leaving Sunday Mar 11 MTZ Martinez to PDX Portland, overnight Portland, Tuesday PDX to CHI Chicago, connecting to WAS Washington. Those are the reservations I have; I'll be making more this week.

While Charlie "works," I'm going to visit a friend in Boston a couple of days, possibly via Altoona somehow. When he is done we'll work our way south, visiting near Charlotte and touristing around Florida. Charlie thinks we should come home kind of south (warm) and I'm angling for a sidetrip to Durango, so we'll see.

I've gotten lots of good ideas from this forum.

I'm retired, live in Oroville, CA (near CIC Chico) and have been hooked on trains since very young. My dad was also a fan. My first solo trip was Los Angeles to Wyoming, with a couple of passenger cars stuck on a freight train. I was a cute kid traveling alone and was allowed to ride in the locomotive part way (!!!!).
Last year I figured out that it is easier to take my elderly mother on train trips than car trips.

And last month I convinced a friend who has a conference in Washington DC that I'd go with him and we'd take the train. So we are leaving Sunday Mar 11 MTZ Martinez to PDX Portland, overnight Portland, Tuesday PDX to CHI Chicago, connecting to WAS Washington. Those are the reservations I have; I'll be making more this week.

While Charlie "works," I'm going to visit a friend in Boston a couple of days, possibly via Altoona somehow. When he is done we'll work our way south, visiting near Charlotte and touristing around Florida. Charlie thinks we should come home kind of south (warm) and I'm angling for a sidetrip to Durango, so we'll see.

I've gotten lots of good ideas from this forum.
Welcome - glad you found us. Have a great trip and post a report when you return home.

I live in Providence, Rhode Island and I'm lucky enough to live about a 15 minute walk from the Amtrak station in downtown Providence. :)

I used to visit the trains.com forums, but I like it here much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a retired engineer (semiconductor, not railroad) living in Santa Rosa, California. My wife and I have traveled by train in Europe and I have traveled by pre-Amtrak in the USA (Gopher/Badger, Milwaukee Road, City of Miami, etc.) and in Canada in the old days when CN went coast-to-coast. Our first "modern" trip via Amtrak begins in less than 48 hours -- CZ from Martinez to Omaha. With any luck we will be late in Omaha -- scheduled arrival is 5AM but I would rather arrive after breakfast. :p

Jeremy

I guess I'm gonna stick my neck out on this one, but I have been on this forum about 3 months now and I have almost gotten addicted to it. I mean....I check e-mail, make lunch/supper/breakfast and then click on to this website. Have you "longtimers" on this site ever wondered where people are from or what they do? Would it be appropriate for us to chime in who/where and what we do in life? I will be willing to go first I just don't want to cross a privacy line thats been drawn. I just get to see some of the same people posting and kind of wonder where they live etc.
I've lived in Yosemite National Park, California for 27 years, working as Night Audit manager for DNC. I grew up in Fullerton, so I rode the San Diegans in the pre-Amtrak era (as well as the Super Chief, Grand Canyon, S.F. Chief, City of L.A., Coast Daylight, San Joaquin Daylight, etc.) Naturally, I ride the San Joaquins frequently (i.e. on days off away from the Park) but also like to travel further away when on vacation. In February, I sailed on the Carnival Legend, riding the Panama Canal Railway and Incofer (Costa Rica narrow gauge) during shore excursions. My return from Florida to California was via the Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Ltd. and Southwest Chief.

Jeff Geldner

I've lived in Yosemite National Park, California for 27 years, working as Night Audit manager for DNC. I grew up in Fullerton, so I rode the San Diegans in the pre-Amtrak era (as well as the Super Chief, Grand Canyon, S.F. Chief, City of L.A., Coast Daylight, San Joaquin Daylight, etc.) Naturally, I ride the San Joaquins frequently (i.e. on days off away from the Park) but also like to travel further away when on vacation. In February, I sailed on the Carnival Legend, riding the Panama Canal Railway and Incofer (Costa Rica narrow gauge) during shore excursions. My return from Florida to California was via the Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Ltd. and Southwest Chief.
Jeff Geldner
Welcome!

i live in orlando, east orlando to be exact. my blood runs on tracks through my body that is how long i have been a train fan. my grandfather was with seaboard and i remember going to the station with him as a child. i am a stay at home mommy and if you read my posts they usually mention that.

i grew up in the school of hard knocks got my degree in survival and now live in suburbia doing normal things.

i travel by train or car, van of course. i have convinced my husband that planes do not belong in the air and how can you truly see this country way up in the air anyway. i have been on the carolinion and loved that train ride. do not know how many miles i have gone on amtrak but it is quite allot. i am disappointed that the sunset limited has not come back, how will i get to the west now........

my children, the boys mainly spent their first years of life over at the park next to the tracks in winter park. it was a daily outing to go and wait for those big trains to come by and wave to all the passengers. we even made a movie about my sons first little train ride from winter park to orlando. it was great. my daughter is not interested in trains yet but give me time or at least until may when we head up to d.c. on the train. i will have her convinced that trains are the way to go also. the boys were easy.

i am originally from savannah georgia and miss it terribly.

until i read again,

amy

Back