Where should I go

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to take a 2 zone award trip from FTW to ???? in the next week or two. I just lost my wife last month to breast cancer and I have to get out of this empty lonely house. I want to maximize train time and end up in a pedestrian friendly town as this is a budget trip and I won't be renting a car. I tried FTW-SDL last night and was told it is now a 3 zone trip FTW-WAS 20,000 pnts. WAS- SDL 15000 1zone ?? FTW to Seattle sounds good but I don't want to get bustituted on the Zephyr and I really don't care for #421. Somewhere in Florida sounds nice but I would want to be near a beach and have reasonable hotel rates $80ish pn and nice public transportation Where ever I go I want the maximum 2 zone award, I'll stay 1 or 2 nights and fly back home. I really want to leave next Wed 9/25 or shortly after any help is appreciated THANKS

So sorry for your loss. I believe that FTW-SEA via the Sunset and the CS would be 2 zones. Seattle is definitely walkable, and there are lots of things to do. Check out Portland and Vancouver, too. All of them meet your criteria.

My wife (stage 4 BC) and I are doing a getaway trip next week from Milwaukee to Santa Barbara. The hotel is about double what you are looking for per night, but it's one of the cheapest in town, and still appears to be very nice. It's two blocks from the train station and one block from the beach. I haven't been to SBA for a dozen years or so, but I remember it as a very wonderful town with terrific weather. Keep Strong.

:( So sorry Tracy, it's been Ten Years since I lost my Wife to BC. Time does help heal and the Good Memories eventually make you Smile and helps with the Pain! In all honesty riding Trains to Interesting Places helps alot too! ;)

Check with AGR if theyll allow you to do a 2 Zoner (19,000 in Roomette with the AGR Card) FTW-STL on #22/STL-KCY- on the River Runner in BC/KCY-LAX on the SWC and LAX-SBA on the Starlight(Roomette) or Surfliner(BC)!and stay in the Hostel which is right by the Station across the Tracks!It's not fancy but a Great Price and Location, Santa Barbara is Beautiful but Expensive for Hotels, High End Restaurants, Shopping etc.

but plenty of Backpackers and Retired types manage to have an Inexpensive stay!!

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry to hear of your loss. I think it's great that you're planning a trip.

My husband died 4 years ago this month. In Nov that year, my youngest daughter, my oldest daughter's fiance and I went to WDW to visit my oldest daughter, who was interning at WDW. I took a small bear with me. One that was with my husband in the hospitals and rehab facilities during his last year. It went with us everywhere in my backpack. I did think to take it out and take a few pics when we were on the Jungle cruise. Maybe you have something you can take with you on your trip.

Two years later, when my youngest and I took our first LD train trip, to Utah (from DE), my husband (Bill) came with us. Our shuttle driver's name was Bill, our SCA on the CL was Bill and our SCA on the CZ was William. We flew back and we did not get the shuttle driver's name for our ride home, but I figured that it wasn't Bill, because my husband did not like to fly. :D

I hope you have a "great" trip.

So sorry for your loss, Tracy! :(

You say you want a beach and good public transportation? :huh: have I got a place for you! KIN - there's city bus service right from the station to the beach, same bus route too ( a one seat ride)! Oh yeah, a little to cool!

Thanks all. We spent her birthday trip last year in San Diego, overnighted in Los Angeles and got to watch fireworks on the fourth from the Metro Plaza Hotel in LA. and made it back to CHI in time to spend her real bday on the Navy Pier. Dave, thanks but I meant warm sunny beach. SBA might be okay. thanks

So sorry for your loss, I lost my husband 2 years ago this month with no warning. It was my surviving the grief that got me into taking the train. I can get lost in the sights out the window and meet new people and see new places.

I would have to add to the great northwest trip. I prefer Portland because of the wonderful food carts and the cost of the hotels are much less than that of Seattle. I have done both and actually prefer Portland. But if you are looking for sunny beach, then maybe Florida would be the place to go as you have already done San Diego.

edited to correct spelling

Boxcar,

I think I have an ideal spot which meets your criteria. Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Beautiful beach hotels and it's not quite "high season". Take a look on hotels.com, Priceline etc.

Lots of train time too!

Thanks all, billthebarn, that is a great suggestion, I just finished getting it all booked. Now I am ready to go. I just realized they booked me on #91 got to try to change that to#97 and spend some time in DC. Thanks for your suggestions. I am so so sorry for all of those who have lost their spouse or loved one. It's a club I never planned on joining :( and being a member of really sux.

:hi: Nice trip Tracy! As the Bob Dylan song says: "..it can cure the soul, can make it whole.." ;) (be sure and wave to Penny as you roll through Orlando!) And Keep your Friends here @ AU Posted!

Depending on how many points you have, you might consider FTW-CHI-NOL, on the Texas Eagle, and City of New Orleans. it's a single zone, but 2 nights. If you have or can arrange to get 30,000 points, you can get 4 nights on the train, some time in NOL, and avoid the expense of flying home. Just a thought,

I lost my wife to BC four years ago when she was only 48. Its something you never get over you just learn to live with it. I promise it will get better over time.

Don't know if it fits all your criteria but, San Diego is pretty nice. The Santa Fe Depot is just a couple of blocks from the bay (not a beach), USS Midway, and some hotels. Also, the San Diego Trolley serves the Santa Fe Depot and is very convenient. I recall an all day transit pass (trolley and buses) being $5.

Back