Where to go?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I often think the "tourist development" departments don't seem to have much say in making the tourists feel welcomed to visit in the first place!

A lot of it seems to be about reciprocal responses... "poorer" countries try to treat the "richer" countries tourists in the same way they are treated... which makes the richer tourist avoid the poorer country, and scores an own goal... Politicians like to throw their muscle around even at the cost to their own economy, I guess!

Ed :cool:

I don't think I'm that different from you, Ed. We both love to travel and we both travel independently or with a travel buddy. You don't travel with a tour group much, do you? You're willing to try out new things, right? I barely ever travel with a tour group and I love trying out new things (as long as its safe), so that makes us similar.

Anyway, I don't know how I would get that "tourist invitation" for Russia. I did find out that Scandinavia is not as expensive as I had thought. I also found out about Iceland and Greece. So here's my current options:

1. Russia
2. Norway/Sweden/Finland
3. Ireland
4. Iceland
5. Bulgaria
6. Romania
7. Greece
8. UK

Under Consideration:
1. Croatia
2. Bosnia
3. Poland/Czech/Austria/Slovenia/Hungary/Slovakia

Greece is in Schengen which would open up a number of your under consideration countries under your #3 to you. Might not be a bad idea. I still think for bang for the buck getting a Schengen visa gives you more choices for places to go.

I don't know how I would get that "tourist invitation" for Russia.
If you want to visit Russia the hotel you book will "invite" you on your own behalf. Or your tour will invite you. The invitation requirement is silly and arrogant but it's not what I would consider a true impediment. Every country I've ever visited expected me to have a specific destination already established when entering, with or without a formal invitation.

I did find out that Scandinavia is not as expensive as I had thought.
I have no way of knowing what you thought previously but I'm hard pressed to think of a destination more expensive than Scandinavia. For most of my life Oslo has been recognized as the single most expensive city in the world. Even if my salary doubled or tripled I would struggle to maintain a similar standard of living. Not the sort of place on which I'd focus if value for money was a serious consideration. That being said, if you're willing to spend good money I've heard wonderful things about Ireland.

Last edited by a moderator:
True. I just wish the Balkans were in the Schengen Area or Bulgaria and Romania.
Bulgaria's ascent to Schengen's been talked about for a while right now I've heard air borders opening up sometime this year and land borders around 2017. Being Bulgaria of course I'll believe it when I see it. I'm going there (and Romania next month) I'll report back what I hear while there.

I don't know how I would get that "tourist invitation" for Russia.
If you want to visit Russia the hotel you book will "invite" you on your own behalf. Or your tour will invite you. The invitation requirement is silly and arrogant but it's not what I would consider a true impediment. Every country I've ever visited expected me to have a specific destination already established when entering, with or without a formal invitation.

I did find out that Scandinavia is not as expensive as I had thought.
I have no way of knowing what you thought previously but I'm hard pressed to think of a destination more expensive than Scandinavia. For most of my life Oslo has been recognized as the single most expensive city in the world. Even if my salary doubled or tripled I would struggle to maintain a similar standard of living. Not the sort of place on which I'd focus if value for money was a serious consideration. That being said, if you're willing to spend good money I've heard wonderful things about Ireland.
Same with Iceland. Really want to get out there, but even with the WOW Air flying there the land portion of the trip adds up very quickly.

I totally agree that the Scandinavian Countries are very expensive!

I have friends that live in Denmark ( Copenhagen) and they go to Germany to shop and other European countries, especially Eastern Europe, on getaways due to the high costs of everything in Denmark, Sweden and Norway!

Stockholm, Oslo and Copenhagen generally give the Swiss Cities,, London and Paris a run for the most expensive places in Europe to visit and to live comfortably!

Of course the Euro is weak right now against the Dollar so you might book a good deal!

I totally agree that the Scandinavian Countries are very expensive!

I have friends that live in Denmark ( Copenhagen) and they go to Germany to shop and other European countries, especially Eastern Europe, on getaways due to the high costs of everything in Denmark, Sweden and Norway!

Stockholm, Oslo and Copenhagen generally give the Swiss Cities,, London and Paris a run for the most expensive places in Europe to visit and to live comfortably!

Of course the Euro is weak right now against the Dollar so you might book a good deal!
Jim Copenhagen is the Austin of Denmark

Looks like the train tickets are indeed expensive in Scandinavia. I don't travel with tour groups so I would have to get the Russian tourist invitation from a hotel. The problem is, what if I overnight on a train going from Moscow to Saint Petersburg? Apparently, the invitations only cover the period that one stays in the hotel. Even worse, what if I book a non-refundable hotel and the visa gets denied?

I do have this feeling that I'm overthinking this. A lot of Chinese people visit Russia and I haven't heard of problems.

Iceland has been eliminated because it's just too expensive and offers poor value.

So now I'm down to the Schengen Visa countries, Ireland, Bulgaria, and Romania. Under consideration are Russia, Croatia, Bosnia, and the UK. Russia becomes an option if I can figure out how to get the visa. Croatia and Bosnia both require individual visas and are small countries. The UK is too expensive right now, with the lowest airfare at $1350 R/T out of SFO. The UK becomes an option if airfares come down.

BTW, cool deals to Moscow, Milan, and Istanbul right now. Also, great deals to Muscat, but Oman is too hot for me, I think. Reno is hot enough.

Bulgaria and Romania aren't Schengen yet so you'd need individual visas for both. Greece is Schengen but you can get a cheap flight on a low cost airline from there to another Schengen country.

The way my options are right now is that I can either visit any number of the Schengen countries or I could visit Ireland, Bulgaria, or Romania by themselves. I think I could get a tourist invitation to Russia, but it won't be easy. The agencies that "sell" invitations often don't sell them to Chinese citizens in the US.

Edit: Is this a trusted source for a Russian tourist invitation? http://www.russian-voucher.com/.

Another one: http://ivisa.ru/en/.

I updated the list again today:
1. Russia
2. Ireland
3. Bulgaria
4. Poland/Estonia/Latvia/Lithuania

Lots of eliminations for Southern Europe due to hot weather and high airfares. I'm the kind that rather be out walking than sitting on the beach. Summers in those eliminated countries are simply too hot for that. The Balkans were eliminated due to high airfares and them not being in the Schengen Area. Some other countries (such as the UK) were eliminated due to high airfares.

I have noticed that Iceland air from Seattle to Paris is reasonable price.

You could easily get to Seattle.

But I don't want to go to Paris. Too expensive of a city and I'm not interested. I looked through every single country in Europe and it's pretty much just these four options: Russia, Bulgaria, Ireland, and Poland/Baltics.

You can use Paris as the gateway to the rest of Europe.

Poland should be accessible from Paris.

Back