Where to Stay, if you have to

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RKA

Train Attendant
Hey Gang,

Well, me and Fred are going to be off again on our yearly trip. We like to spend as much time as possible on

the train but sometimes it just is not possible. This trip will be as follows: ATL to WAS to CHI to EMY to SEA

to VAN to TOR to NYP to WAS to ATL. We will leave ATL on February 9. My problem is that we will have three nights off the train. We will need a hotel in Seattle, Toronto and New York. We need a good, close to the station, clean and cheap place to stay for one night in each of these three cities. Thank you

very much for any help anyone can give me. THANKS!

Ralph

Wow, you used Clean, Cheap, and New York in the same sentence. Didn't know that was possible!

While I realize that "cheap" varies by customer, I'm not sure there's too much out there in NYC, though I recall there's a place right near Penn that most people here tend to find practical and passable. While I'm not sure how practical this would be for your itinerary (and was not sure if you had some NYC) related activities planned as well, you might save some green by alighting the Maple Leaf at Buffalo or perhaps Syracuse, and getting an Empire Service train the following day to get to NYC. This also offers the benefit of riding the Hudson Valley in daylight.

Last year when I was looking into Toronto myself, I was impressed with some of the deals to be found on Hotwire.com. At present, I note that from 2/18 to 2/19, they (at the time of my search just now) have a 2.5* in Downtown Toronto for $66/night and a 3* in Downtown at $79/night. Both should be convenient to the station to allow you to get the Maple Leaf's departure.

Know nothing on Seattle, so hopefully others can assist.

While I realize that "cheap" varies by customer, I'm not sure there's too much out there in NYC, though I recall there's a place right near Penn that most people here tend to find practical and passable. While I'm not sure how practical this would be for your itinerary (and was not sure if you had some NYC) related activities planned as well, you might save some green by alighting the Maple Leaf at Buffalo or perhaps Syracuse, and getting an Empire Service train the following day to get to NYC. This also offers the benefit of riding the Hudson Valley in daylight.
That hotel in question is the Pennsylvania Hotel. Many have managed to snag a decent rate via the online discounters. Expect a small room though, but it is incredibly convenient to Penn Station, as it sits directly across 7th Avenue from Penn Station. In fact the hotel was built by the RR.

The suggestion of overnighting in Buffalo though is also an excellent idea and might well be cheaper in the long run.

While they aren't all necessarily close to the train stations in NY and Toronto, you might want to check out Kevin Korell's list of hotels near public transit . All hotels listed at the above link are accessible from subways, commuter, light rail, or other forms of rail transportation. If you like the Buffalo idea, there are even hotels listed for that city too.

Last edited by a moderator:
...you might save some green by alighting the Maple Leaf at Buffalo or perhaps Syracuse, and getting an Empire Service train the following day to get to NYC. This also offers the benefit of riding the Hudson Valley in daylight.
what an excellent idea! perfect for my cross-country trip! thanks!

...you might save some green by alighting the Maple Leaf at Buffalo or perhaps Syracuse, and getting an Empire Service train the following day to get to NYC. This also offers the benefit of riding the Hudson Valley in daylight.
what an excellent idea! perfect for my cross-country trip! thanks!
The only caveat to the idea is that you'd have to roll out early if you were trying to connect to something like the Crescent, to the tune of 4:35am. Just a detail, but still worth noting.

I'm not sure the price and convenience of anything in Albany, but it does offer a nice sane mid-morning departure time for NYP.

*EDIT* - Upon checking, Hotwire shows Downtown Buffalo listings at about $70 per night. I'd gather that to be about half of what you'd pay in NYC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try the Hilton right across the street from Newark station. They even have a walkway directly into the station. Don't let the name scare you; they have rooms for $98 and they just spent a bundle on re-modeling.

Seattle makes me angry, it ain't that great a town and yet they charge more than most cities for a safe, clean bed(close to SEA King St station) I stayed at something but it was a Best Western about a :15 min walk from the station on "Yessler Ave or st or way" I think it was $135+ Jim

You might want to try the Riverside Towers Hotel on West 80th St and Riverside Drive in N.Y.C.. Its not right by Penn Station but is an easy subway ride to get there. The neighborhood is great and the cost for a suite is $109 per night and even less for a standard room. The place is very safe and clean. The rooms are small and have not been updated in ages. But for the price its a winner. riversidetowerhotel.com

Depends on how much you "live on the edge". In Seattle there's a HI Seattle Hostel. I just checked the rates and you can sleep in a dorm room for $25.00 per night per person or a private room with a double bed which brings the price up to $80.00. I remember reading that this is one of the best hostels in the US. But Hostels are NOT hotels. I stay in hostels as much as I can cuz I hate paying very much for a bed to close my eyes and sleep on. It also has a good breakfast in the morning. www.hiseattle.org. is there website. I'm 43 and not the "backpacker" type, I just think its stupid to pay over $100.00 for a mattress and sheet when all you do is close your eyes and sleep on the dang thing. If you want to see some "reviews" go to www.hostelz.com and type in "Seattle". Hostels are "funky" but inexpensive.

Seattle makes me angry, it ain't that great a town and yet they charge more than most cities for a safe, clean bed(close to SEA King St station)
I found a rail fan Hotel about a half block from the station for 25.00, but my sponsor for that trip insisted I stay with the group at a Holiday Inn for 160.00 plus 30.00 each way taxis. We were going to Vancouver, BC. Arrived at 8:00pm on Coast Starlight, left at 4:00am to take 6:00am Talgo, to continue the trip. BTW the clerk at the Holiday Inn Insisted I didn't arive on the train as there was no train service to Seattle. :lol:

you can check seattlesupersaver.com which has the best winter hotel rates and selection i know of. also you don't have to pay in advance. the only decent hotel near king st station is the best western pioneer square which is very nice but a little high(as mentioned above). most moderate hotel are in mid to north downtown and the station is in south downtown. seattle is a safe town to walk in so that has never been a problem for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back