Where to stay in Santa Fe, New Mexico?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yumacool

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
My wife and I are making a last minute Amtrak trip to Santa Fe, New Mexico, taking the Southwest Chief from Los Angeles and using the shuttle between Lamy and Santa Fe. Does anyone have recommendations regarding where to stay in downtown Santa Fe that is served by the shuttle? My first choice was the the old Fred Harvey House La Fonda, but it is sold out. Any suggestions will be appreciated. We leave in two days!

There are a number of very nice places to stay in Santa Fe. We have stayed at the El Dorado which is very nice and very convenient to downtown.

We have also stayed at the Sage Inn, which is not right downtown but is within reasonable walking distance and they have a shuttle from the hotel to the Plaza. This place is more like a motel and the rooms open directly outdoors rather than to a lobby. Much less expensive than the El Dorado.

The Lamy shuttle serves both places and we wouldn't hesitate to stay at either place again.

I would also recommend the walking tour sponsored by the history museum. There are also shuttles from downtown to the great museums which are not located downtown.

Hope you have a great trip and will post a report.

The La Fonda hotel has tons of history for a RR buff. It is the former Fred Harvey Hotel for Santa Fe.
It is close to everything. You will pay for the history and convenience but for one night, my wife and I thought it is worth it.

La Fonda is a great place and definitely worth a visit if you are unable to stay there. You can always go there for lunch or dinner. I recommend that you avoid the outdoor rooftop dining place if it is cold and/or windy unless you are able to nail down your napkin.

Back