Which AEM-7s are owned by Amtrak and which are leased?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edjbox

Service Attendant
I went to the farewell to the AEM-7 excursion train the other day and one of the employees showing us the equipment mentioned that some are leased to Amtrak by a bank and need to be operable, some are Amtrak owned, while some are scrapped. Anyone have a list of the status of each and who owns it?

I went to the farewell to the AEM-7 excursion train the other day and one of the employees showing us the equipment mentioned that some are leased to Amtrak by a bank and need to be operable, some are Amtrak owned, while some are scrapped. Anyone have a list of the status of each and who owns it?
I do, but I do not feel inclined to post it on this board.

Anything AC. The DC units are owned and scrapable.
Amtrak owns a large number of the Remans at this point.

If you two feel so inclined, I'm sure you can figure it out by noting the date of entry after conversion from DC to AC, then adding a number between 14 and 17 to that date to determine when the lease is likely to expire.

So basically at one point all of the AEM-7 ACs were owned by a bank....why was this done?

I do, but I do not feel inclined to post it on this board.

Anything AC. The DC units are owned and scrapable.
Amtrak owns a large number of the Remans at this point.

If you two feel so inclined, I'm sure you can figure it out by noting the date of entry after conversion from DC to AC, then adding a number between 14 and 17 to that date to determine when the lease is likely to expire.
The conversions were done from 1999 to 2002. What you've just said implies that the latest lease expirations would be 2019, which isn't that far away. In fact, anything with a 14-year lease term would expire this year or earlier, so which Remans are still bank-owned is largely dependent on the length of the lease term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back