Which Amtrak train would most run?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Amtrak train would most run?

• The Ethan Allen Express

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Maple Leaf

• The Adirondack

• The Lake Shore Limited - One of the trains

• The Acela Express

• The Cascades

• The International

• The Southwest Chief

• The Empire Builder

• The Vermonter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If there was a box for other I would check that as I would like to operate either the Zephyr or the Coast Starlite.

tp49 said:
If there was a box for other I would check that as I would like to operate either the Zephyr or the Coast Starlite.
I'd check it too, but for the Silver Meteor. I picked the Acela Express as it was my next choice in line. I'd especially like to operate it at 150 mph!!!

Considering there are over 30 routes, the choices get kind of limited. May have been better with a regular topic. Anyway, I would love to get behind a P-42 on the Capitol Limited and take it through Sandpatch.

Lake Shore Limited definatly, take the Boston Section over the Berkshires, through my "Home Rails" of Pittsfield, MA and crest Washington Summit, really great route but I will probably have to put up with numerous delays on the now mainly single tracked and heavily used B&A route. My Prefered power for the train - a GE P40DC in the Phase III Fade Scheme though that wouldnt happen now adays, Id settle for a nice P42 though.

I took the Cascades purely because of the F59PHI's. As many of us know, EMD engines are far superior to GE engines so gimme a route with EMD's. While the Surfliners may be a good route, the entire idea of Cab Cars (as an Engineer) bother me. I want some steel in front of me, and weight behind me when I hit something (don't get me wrong though, Cab Cars are great for the railfan as a quasi cab ride, that's where you'll find me if I take those god for saken Tri-Rails.

B-51 then you'd want to add the San Joaqin's to your list as they run with the loco (F-59) both ways as they wye them in Oakland and in Bakersfield. Not sure what they do with the direct ones out of Sac but when I dropped my sister off the loco was facing the correct way to make the run but I'm not sure where they's wye it around here.

battalion51 said:
I took the Cascades purely because of the F59PHI's. As many of us know, EMD engines are far superior to GE engines so gimme a route with EMD's. While the Surfliners may be a good route, the entire idea of Cab Cars (as an Engineer) bother me. I want some steel in front of me, and weight behind me when I hit something (don't get me wrong though, Cab Cars are great for the railfan as a quasi cab ride, that's where you'll find me if I take those god for saken Tri-Rails.
It's odd. Everyone on Trainorders, some of whom operate F-59PHIs hate them because of there unreliability and cab window placement. I don't think I would mind operating a Surfliner cab car as you are higher up, but it would not be pretty hitting an industrious vehicle (truck, crane, etc.).

Amfleet said:
battalion51 said:
It's odd. Everyone on Trainorders, some of whom operate F-59PHIs hate them because of there unreliability and cab window placement. I don't think I would mind operating a Surfliner cab car as you are higher up, but it would not be pretty hitting an industrious vehicle (truck, crane, etc.).
Well as the sad events of two weeks ago proved, you can get hurt or worse regardless of whether your in a cab car or engine. Yes your chances are better in an engine in any accident, but sadly life holds no guarentees.

I'm glad everyone is voting in the poll I created. The reason I picked the Cascades is because its the Amtrak commuter route in Seattle and I like the idea of operating the train through the beautiful Pacific Northwest. I cant wait to old enough to operate it! :)

AlanB said:
Amfleet said:
battalion51 said:
Well as the sad events of two weeks ago proved, you can get hurt or worse regardless of whether your in a cab car or engine. Yes your chances are better in an engine in any accident, but sadly life holds no guarentees.
Well this much is true Alan. Every Engineer knows the risks that the job holds, and that anything can happen, although many Engineers never have the sort of incident that occured two weeks ago. As an Engineer you dread that sound of metal on metal that you know is seconds away when you go into Emergency, and you dread the sight afterwards. Many of the guys I've talked with wonder whether Wayne would still be with us today if he would have been in a safety cab. There are a million what ifs, but you have to use the equipment you are given, and just hope that it is strong reliable equipment.

And the winner is!!!!! The Cascades! With 31.58% or 6 votes! The Acela Express and Empire Builder tied at 2nd place, each with 21.05% or 4 votes each! And the Southwest Chief came in 3rd! With 10.53% or 2 votes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back