Which are the most outstanding rail stations to you?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must vote for CUS - I was literally raised there.

Creston IA - folks trying to make there world better -wonderful station agent

I can also speak highly for the OLD Denver, LAX and NYC

In the US: Washington Union Station, King Street Station. Honorable mention to 30th Street Station.

Outside the US: Toronto Union Station (once renovations are complete); Winnipeg Union Station. Honorable mention to Vancouver's Pacific Central Station.

For train watching Winslow AZ is a great station. It's a crew change point for BNSF and there is plenty of action all day long. The Station is part of the La Posada Hotel which was a Harvey house in times past. The hotel has nice accommodations and a very good restaurant. Walk out to platform right from the hotel. If you are an Eagles fan you can look for the "Flatbed Ford" in town. My true favorite Station would have to be East Ely Station on the Nevada Northern.

I vote for 30th St.Station in Philadelphia as the best in the US. Many other stations have deviated from their original use of all areas in the station (Washington Union Station is a good example of deviation from original purpose).

I have not traveled extensively outside the US, but I was impressed by how many trains Paddington Station in London handled.

My two favorites for the US would be Portland OR and LA Union Station. Not just for the interior of the stations but for what is around them to walk to.

Worldwide I like Chiang Mai for the trains, the mood and the food and coffee in the station cafes. (Hua Hin is a close second for Thai stations, it is a ginger bread classic.)

Then there is Victoria Station for the charm, the British vibe, the walkability and the feeling that there might just be a Platform 9 3/4 somewhere down there allowing you to board the Hogwarts Express.

I used to like Waterloo the most. The idea that Britains Eurostar line to Paris would go the Station named after one of France's greatest defeats at the hands of the British (and the Dutch and Germans) was a kind of cheeky "up yours" to the continent.

No mas. Alas.

HuaHinStn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Many beautiful railroad stations remain in the USA but sadly many like the beautiful large stations in Atlanta, GA and NYP have been raised. Others have been re-purposed and no longer serve the railroad. Some of the nicer stations that we have visited or have passed through.

Grand Central Station NYC, 30th street station PHL, CUS (of course) King Street Station Seattle, Union Station Denver, St Paul Union Station, Washington Union Station, Cincinnati Union Station (now mostly a museum), Indianapolis Union Station (now mainly a hotel)

Other nice stations that no longer serve passenger rail that have nice architecture: Cheyenne WY Station, Kansas City Union Station, (hotel- but tracks are still there) , Lackawanna Station, Scranton, PA (hotel but tracks are still there) Minneapolis Station (now hotel only), Ft Wayne IN Station (restored and begging for train service to return), St. Louis Union Station (hotel)

Vacant Derelict Stations: Detroit Union Station and Buffalo NYC Terminal (too sad to discuss)

The list can go on and on but we would have to say that our favorite is 30th Street Station Philadelphia. It hasn't been chopped up and redone as a hotel and the Acela Lounge is well maintained, not always crowded and offers easy direct elevator access to the platforms below. Ted, the lounge attendant there is a super guy and has been very helpful. He's made all of our visits there very pleasant. Four stars for Ted.

Slight correction: Kansas City Union does NOT have a Hotel though the Amtrak Waiting Room sadly reminds one of a Bus Station.

Edited to correct 30th St.status.

My criteria are not necessarily the best stations to use, but where I enjoy their aesthetics. Los Angeles Union Station is definitely a favorite. I like San Diego Union Station as well, and of course Washington, DC. What a beautiful station that is! Another gem is Santa Ana, CA.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the "stations" in Demming, NM or Sanderson, TX. :wacko: :giggle:
Or Taylor,TX!
I looked up Taylor's station on the Trainweb USA Rail Guide site, and saw this page for its station: http://www.trainweb.org/usarail/taylor.htm

Is the small station building shown here at least opened up by a caretaker, so that people could sit in there before the train arrives? If not, that's sad. I see on the Amtrak Texas Eagle timetable it's unstaffed, but of course you never know if a caretaker opens up that station house so people can wait inside. I guess it could be worse, a la one of those Sunset Limited stops between Tucson and El Paso I once looked up on Google Street View, and didn't see an actual platform at all! Just a dinky looking small outdoor shelter, and nothing else.

The Station Building in Taylor is the UP District Headquarters, ex MoPac Station.

It is staffed 24/7 for the Freights and Rock Trains that use this Main Line and the Freight Yard there since this is a Crew Change point for many of the UP Trains.

The Amtrak "Station" is the shed with 2 Picnic Tables you see outside the Building for the 2 Texas Eagles that call there daily.

UP is very good about letting waiting passengers use the Restrooms and the Vending Machines located inside, but want those that are not Employees to wait outside for the Eagles. ( which are usually Late!)

The Taylor Station is considered sort of "Austin North" since the traffic in Austin is so bad and the Amtrak Statiin there is hard to find and also get too!

Back