Which route is best between Chicago and New York?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi_Train_Fan

Service Attendant
While considering an upcoming trip to New York, I set out to complete an analysis of what the best route between Chicago and New York might be. As others have pointed out "best" can be very subjective. I wanted to share my questions, data, and answers on the analysis I wrote on my recent blog post.

Thanks for reading and I welcome your discussion here,

David

Service: Lakeshore Limited

Scenery: Cardinal

The CL and Penny offer a nice ride, but without sleepers and a lovely 5AM layover I don't think it qualifies as "the best".

Yes, "The Best" is a very subjective thing.

I live in the DC area, so have never gone CHI to NYP as one complete trip start to finish, but what about the CL to WAS with a connection to Acela? I've done both of these, just never together, and both are pretty sweet. The CL - for the morining scenery into WAS, the Acela - well, for the experience. And since we are talking "the best" - go "first class" all the way!
rolleyes.gif

I live in the DC area, so have never gone CHI to NYP as one complete trip start to finish, but what about the CL to WAS with a connection to Acela?
CL to Washington and then connecting to Acela to New York is also the most expensive since the Acela ticket will have to be a separate one and cannot be purchased as a continuation to the CL trip, thus losing the LD train connection discount.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love all ideas! I was thinking someone would mention Capitol Limited to Acela Express as I have chosen that option myself in the past. Ultimately I didn't consider that one for my analysis because it's not considered a guaranteed connection.

Despite the limits on accommodations imposed by its tri-weekly schedule, and its minimalist consist, the scenary on the Cardinal is gorgeous. I'd also vote for the NY state portion of the Lakeshore Limited as real eye candy. Going one route and returning another would probably the best way to see the most as would choosing routes to ensure daylight in the scenic areas. Have a great trip, there's nothing like amtraking.

I live in the DC area, so have never gone CHI to NYP as one complete trip start to finish, but what about the CL to WAS with a connection to Acela?
CL to Washington and then connecting to Acela to New York is also the most expensive since the Acela ticket will have to be a separate one and cannot be purchased as a continuation to the CL trip, thus losing the LD train connection discount.
You could always just take a regional.

Sure wish they'd bring back an early afternoon departure from CHI on some route with a late morning arrival in NY as in years past....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back