Which side has the best views? Southwest Chief and Capitol Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandwalker

Train Attendant
I'll be taking the Southwest Chief from LA to Chicago next week and going up to DC on the Capitol Limited. What side would you say has the best views?

Heres my opinion on the Chief:

Morning of the 2nd/middle day, left side is the best. Some great rock formations.

After departing Lamy, you go into Glorieta Pass. I feel that both sides have great views, but I would sit on the left.

Before Las Vegas, there are Semaphore Signals. I would go to the end of the train to try to see them. There are a few after Las Vegas but not directly after.

After departing Raton, I think left is the best overall. Right before the tunnel you'll be able to see the sign about Raton Tunnel.

After that, doesn't matter much. You do get to see the Mississippi on the right after Fort Madison. And the Chicago skyline on the left.

On the Capitol Limited either side can work. For a good part of the trip past Cumberland, Md. you will follow the Potomac River. It'll be on your left until a bit north of Martinsburg, W.Va. where you separate from the river and at Harper's Ferry you'll rejoin it, on your right for a bit. Sadly you will not have the benefit of the Sightseer Lounge to afford you views of both sides.

Heres my opinion on the Chief:

Morning of the 2nd/middle day, left side is the best. Some great rock formations.

After departing Lamy, you go into Glorieta Pass. I feel that both sides have great views, but I would sit on the left.

Before Las Vegas, there are Semaphore Signals. I would go to the end of the train to try to see them. There are a few after Las Vegas but not directly after.

After departing Raton, I think left is the best overall. Right before the tunnel you'll be able to see the sign about Raton Tunnel.

After that, doesn't matter much. You do get to see the Mississippi on the right after Fort Madison. And the Chicago skyline on the left.

Thank you for the detailed response! It seems like the left side wins, heading East 😄

I had never heard of Semaphore Signals, although after a quick Google search, I recognize them from movies. That would be cool to see!

On the Capitol Limited either side can work. For a good part of the trip past Cumberland, Md. you will follow the Potomac River. It'll be on your left until a bit north of Martinsburg, W.Va. where you separate from the river and at Harper's Ferry you'll rejoin it, on your right for a bit. Sadly you will not have the benefit of the Sightseer Lounge to afford you views of both sides.

It seems I'll get a good view coming and going then. Thanks for your input!

Thank you for the detailed response! It seems like the left side wins, heading East 😄

I had never heard of Semaphore Signals, although after a quick Google search, I recognize them from movies. That would be cool to see!
Yep. I believe the last, or one of the last ones to see regular traffic that's not in a museum. They are being replaced, so make sure to look out!

I find that on the Chief there is no clear winner. I just like being in the lounge car for much of the trip through New Mexico and Colorado and looking out both sides. It is always a great trip and I hope it is for you also.

Back