which Sleeper Roomette is the best?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be riding the Southwest Chief from Los Angeles to Chicago on January 4th. Which Roomette is the best?
It depends on what you like. I prefer upstairs, better view, and not near the end, which are 2-8. 1 is usually reserved for the attendant. I don't like downstairs (11-14) or the trans-dorm. Downstairs has less traffic through the aisle, although there is more track noise and my experience is the HVAC is less efficient down there. The trans-dorm also has less traffic, but the service can be spotty since there is not an attendant dedicated to the car. Other people like the trans-dorm and downstairs.

In terms of what the room is like and the basic amenities, they are all the same.

I'm totally with Alan on his response. I have never traveled in a lower level roomette and the fact that I make reservations no less than six months out, I will probably never have one. My preference has been, the lower the number, the better. My wife and I don't mind the traffic. That is how we have met some great people. We generally travel with our door open whether we are in a bedroom or roomette. Our door is open for the very reason of being approachable. The first leg of our trip to WAS (in nine days!) is to see good friends we made on our last trip in April. Then it's off into the depths of New England for a few more days to see other friends we've made and also hopefully a very frequent poster on here, if he's not too worn out from the gathering. :lol:

The advantages of the lower level are less sway, more restrooms and the shower is closer - no wondering if it is occupied. Also we are near the luggage rack where our larger pieces are. The lower numbers are nearest the center. Sometimes our family takes 4 roomettes or the family room and 2 roomettes.

Disadvantages are further from the lounge and diner - and need to climb the steps to get thereto - but the added exercise of the stair climb is nice too.

The advantages of the lower level are less sway, more restrooms and the shower is closer - no wondering if it is occupied. Also we are near the luggage rack where our larger pieces are. The lower numbers are nearest the center. Sometimes our family takes 4 roomettes or the family room and 2 roomettes.

Disadvantages are further from the lounge and diner - and need to climb the steps to get thereto - but the added exercise of the stair climb is nice too.
Another advantage to a lower is access to the exit doors when the train makes a stop. Easy on and off. Also, you can open the door window when the car attendant is away and take some pics or get some fresh air.

I have to agree with several previous posts, the one I'm in!

Please consider that the roomette that you'll be assigned when you purchase will be the next available room assigned the price being offered online. If you call to change the room number or car number you may be asked to pay a higher price, as those rooms are not intended to be sold until lower price options are taken. It's all about revenue management. You can search on this forum for lots of information about pricing buckets and why room prices change when you try to change the room assigned to you originally.

No matter what, the trip you are planning to take is an awesome journey. I'm a huge fan of the southwest scenery and crossing Rockies via Raton Pass.

Cheers,

David

Please consider that the roomette that you'll be assigned when you purchase will be the next available room assigned the price being offered online. If you call to change the room number or car number you may be asked to pay a higher price, as those rooms are not intended to be sold until lower price options are taken. It's all about revenue management. You can search on this forum for lots of information about pricing buckets and why room prices change when you try to change the room assigned to you originally.
You can work around this by booking your reservation on the phone with an agent. If you do it online, it's a game of roulette where you will have no idea where you'll be placed. Before calling the agent, go online determine what the lowest bucket is for the accommodation. During the call, request the specific room and car you want, and politely mention that you can see online that the current bucket for a roomette is priced at $XXX.XX, so you would like that price applied to the room you're requesting. I do this every time and have not had a problem. Some agents will do it with their eyes closed while others may seem tentative at first but eventually get through the keystrokes to make it happen. Every once in while, I will get an agent who digs in his/her heels and says it can't be done. In that case, I politely request to speak with a supervisor who can walk them through the procedure. Just stay positive and be polite throughout the call, and you will be successful.

Although many say "stay away from the end rooms - #7-10 on a Superliner because of the noise when the door opens and closes when people pass thru - I have never noticed any difference when I was in those rooms!

When it comes to Superliners, I've been in roomettes 2,9,10,11,12, family bedroom and all bedrooms except A. If I had to pick a favorite roomette it would be 2. It's across from the SCA's room so you have an aopportunity to chat him/her up and the coffee/juice is right next door. The upstairs bathroom is across the hall in front of the SCA's room.

I have been in the 9 Sleeper a couple times and was never bothered by the end of car noise. In fact I was happy to be away from the congestion at the coffee station and the noise and smell associated with the upstairs lav.

So, to the original poster . . . please don't worry too much about your roomette number/location.

As you can see, there are a variety of preferences (I always request lower level, but am comfortable upstairs, too). The differences are subtle and I think all will agree that you'll have a great time no matter where you are. After your first trip and maybe a few more trips, you may realize that you have a specific preference for one location versus another, or you may not. Train travel in general requires a bit of flexibility.

Have a great trip!

Apparently everyone is saying that.. How can we all fit into one? I've heard of clown car's but not clown rolling stock... Like... think a smalll toyota and 6 people get out of it.. lol ! or how about u read the news headline about a bus sliding off the side of a canyon somewhere in rural parts of any third world country and the headline reads something to the effect..."Bus goes off cliff, 190 dead"

The one that I'm in. :lol:
Aloha

I have to and must contradict Alan ... The one that I am in. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I had to pick a favorite roomette it would be 2. It's across from the SCA's room so you have an aopportunity to chat him/her up and the coffee/juice is right next door. The upstairs bathroom is across the hall in front of the SCA's room.
I agree number 2. I love the coffee and the pisser being right there outside your door. And the stairs are close too.

Also, you can open the door window when the car attendant is away and take some pics or get some fresh air.
Though most people on this forum would not recommend doing that.
Though EVERYONE on this forum probably HAS done that..........
I can honestly say that I've never done that. I was allowed once on the Three Rivers to look out the open window and take pictures of Horseshoe Curve through the dutch door, as were others. But I've never opened the window on my own.

Also, you can open the door window when the car attendant is away and take some pics or get some fresh air.
Though most people on this forum would not recommend doing that.
Though EVERYONE on this forum probably HAS done that..........
I can honestly say that I've never done that. I was allowed once on the Three Rivers to look out the open window and take pictures of Horseshoe Curve through the dutch door, as were others. But I've never opened the window on my own.

Came east on the CZ last FEB. A small fire in a lower roomette left a bad smell and some smoke behind. Pax were put in the lounge for a while, while the roomette aired out. While on the way to the lower restroom I discovered the dutch door was open for more ventilation. I got some great pix. Nice snow shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back