White River Junction - AKA WRJ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velotrain

Service Attendant
Note: Some 20 hours ago I posted Possible NYC - Rutland (Ethan Allen) - WRJ (Vermonter) multimodal loop and just saw that WRJ has no entry here, so thought I'd make a start. This is based on the idea of taking a bus between WRJ and Rutland - or vice-versa, to give a year-round Vermont loop when the Port Kent ferry isn't running.

I discovered that Vermont Translines runs a Route 4 bus - logically following US Route 4 between the city of Rutland and the unincorporated village of WRJ. The venerable Coolidge Hotel (adjacent to the Briggs Opera House) is situated across the tracks from the station, being built of wood with many sloping floors - and lots of fire detectors-extinguishers. A brick facade was later added to the front and sides.

MrAT8dz.jpg

Given the small size - Wiki shows just 2,286 residents in 2010, WRJ has a surprisingly active social/cultural scene, with a small arts district and three very good restaurants in easy walking distance of the station - Elixir, Tuckerbox and Thyme. I have no experience of Thyme as it replaces a previous establishment, but the other two are both excellent, with Elixir more trendy and Tuckerbox more world-food exotic.

There are other lodging options "up the hill" near the I-89/I-91 interchange, but they're a taxi ride away and lacking whatever charm there is in the downtown - on the plus side, they're much closer to the bus depot, while some are a decent walk away. You'll need a taxi ride in the evening or in the morning. An option is the short walk to the nearby confluence of the White and Connecticut Rivers - decades ago I went there one evening to celebrate the completion of a two-day 50 mile mostly easy WW canoeing run on the White, as The CT is very wide and quite placid and boring by here.

Here are some random images from late August 2016, when I stayed overnight at the Coolidge after leading a 5-day bicycle tour, and did a short downtown walk before dinner. There was a new small cafe/club off the lobby (think breakfast) with fine country - Vermont style, music and lively dancing.

WRJ station with switcer

IPvLsLd.jpg

WRJ station display

7O8mnPK.jpg

Just what any traveler needs

G8NlwND.jpg

If the Coolidge is too expensive for you . . . .

pmAh925.jpg

Tuckerbox - inside and out

InoigHv.jpg

I'm always interested in the backs of things and Sheeler-like angles and forms

9DNi3b7.jpg

Almost sunset - time for dinner at Elixir

2dEOMWG.jpg

See: https://discuss.amtraktrains.com/th...n-wrj-vermonter-multimodal-loop-photos.75974/

for notes on the loop trip

Last edited:
Back